Favorite Aresco Comment so far... | The Boneyard

Favorite Aresco Comment so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller (@NHRJimFuller)
8/15/12 11:28 AM
Big East commissioner Mike Aresco said 1 of his goals is to make teams departing conference regret that decision.

----------------------------------------------
We need a Commish w/ large onions.

Don't see him putting up w/ any of Swofford's bull$hit.

Reaction Score
Big East commissioner Mike Aresco said 1 of his goals is to make teams departing conference regret that decision.

So, say he does his job & gets a GREAT tv contract, one so appealing that sPITT & the fruit have buyer's remorse over their decision to carpetbag. In this hypothetical, does the Big East welcome them back, OR, tell them to sleep in the bed of their own making?

Reaction Score
Only if they bring BC and/or FSU/VT with them (day-dreamer) ;)

Reaction Score

It's not so important to me that he ends up doing that, as it is that he actally said that wants to. Tranghese and Marinatto were far too passive.

Reaction Score
So, say he does his job & gets a GREAT tv contract, one so appealing that sPITT & the fruit have buyer's remorse over their decision to carpetbag. In this hypothetical, does the Big East welcome them back, OR, tell them to sleep in the bed of their own making?

They're gone!! They're not coming back! Live in the now!!

ACC sucks.

Reaction Score
Breaking the stranglehold of the Providence mafia was critical. This is a huge step on the right direction. Now, move HQ to New York.

Reaction Score
it's nice to hear, read and see the Big East conference commissioner, stand up and state clear objectives, high goals, and believe in them for the Big East football conference.

FYI: Larry McHugh - chairman of the UConn BOT - was Mike Aresco's football coach at Xavier HS in Middletown.

Reaction Score
The quotes from Aresco that has me optimistic is that he is not allowing people to talk about the "Big 5" without challenging that. Now to be fair, I don't know if that's going to change people's perception at this point, but it's refreshing to hear our commissioner take an aggressive approach to this. How many times did you hear this from Marinatto? And Bailey's ridiculous "rub of the green" comment still annoys me to this day.

Reaction Score
Serrano, Bailey's job was to distract the media from what was really going on. He did a good job.

This hire, has absolutely floored the power structure of the intercollegiate football world.

Reaction Score
The quotes from Aresco that has me optimistic is that he is not allowing people to talk about the "Big 5" without challenging that. Now to be fair, I don't know if that's going to change people's perception at this point, but it's refreshing to hear our commissioner take an aggressive approach to this. How many times did you hear this from Marinatto? And Bailey's ridiculous "rub of the green" comment still annoys me to this day.

None. Marinatto and TrainedGeese were the living definition of passive and reactive. Of course, it was the "structure" that forced them to be that way, not that they were way in over their heads.

U

UConn9604

What kills me about this hire is that if it were made 10 years ago, or even sometime after the 2003 raids (with or without BC), we would be looking at an entirely different league with significantly brighter prospects for the future than we are today. Instead of looking for a team to pair with Navy in 2014, maybe we're talking about taking away Maryland or Penn State*, and creating a true, powerful all-sports eastern conference.

* obviously, we wouldn't have known about Sandusky at the time

Reaction Score
It's not so important to me that he ends up doing that, as it is that he actally said that wants to. Tranghese and Marinatto were far too passive.

This. I've always felt that the marketing of Big East football has sucked. Some on this board have stated that marketing wouldn't have mattered with a mediocre football product, but I believe the ACC is proof that it does matter.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the presidents at football playing schools, went along with having PC guys continue to run the league. Tranghese is on record as saying he would always do what is best for PC. Granted the comment came after he was commissioner, but still.

The fact that Aresco is publicly saying he wants to make those guys regret the decision is very encouraging. This guy looks like he will be an intelligent, articulate, and outspoken mouthpiece for the league. When Marinato went on record and stated the Jim Delaney told him he had to start thinking strategically, I did a face palm.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the sum total of the Big East's football strategy was "Don't piss of Notre Dame" and "How can we keep PC and Seton Hall relevant in a football conference." It's how you got brilliant decisions like "Let's get Villanova to upgrade!"

Seriously I think if Hathaway was any indication of the people in the room... I'm pretty sure he's much happier as the AD of Hostra where he doesn't have to think about these things. I actually think a huge sea change for the Big East was when Herbst was hired at UConn because I hate to say it, but we probably sided with the basketball schools a fair amount of the time.

Reaction Score
My favorite was the response to Tessitor's "Big Five" comment. We do need someone with onions to slow down the bashing. However, we will need to do more on the field to back up the talk. One thing that hampered the prior admins was that they were athletic administrators who then moved into conference administration. They didn't have the expertise in the marketing and TV production area. This will be a change with Aresco. The conference presidents did not respect or listen to the prior admins. because they were trying to look out for their institution's dollar streams themselves(as they are charged with doing). Now that they have an expect in TV sports production and marketing we should expect that they will be all in with what the experts say we need to do to ramp this up and score big with the contract and also what will make the most sense down the road with marketing and production. WE will have professional representation--now we will see whether that will translate to the conference making a comeback. I think this guy will open doors and will come up with innovative ways to make the conference members happy$$$.

Reaction Score
None. Marinatto and TrainedGeese were the living definition of passive and reactive. Of course, it was the "structure" that forced them to be that way, not that they were way in over their heads.

Lenn Robbins (New York Post) is not one of my favorites, but he is very high on the new Commissioner. Why significant? Robbins has never been a friend to the BE. Here are a few quotes:

"Top-flight, live sports programming is like a classic black cocktail dress. It’s never not in demand, and the Big East is the last good one on the rack."

"The fact is Aresco, and media consultants Bevilacqua Helfant, almost are guaranteed ( My only real issue with the 'column.' I know what he is saying and big$ are a significant possibility, but guaranteed? No such thing in business. It's not guaranteed until fully executed) of landing the Big East a lucrative TV deal.
"Did you hear that, Boston College, which has become all but irrelevant on the college sports landscape since joining the ACC? Did you hear that Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which have turned their backs on their own backyards?"
"The late great Dave Gavitt, the league’s first commissioner, was a visionary who saw what was needed in the Northeast and created the Big East.
Mike Tranghese was a back-room deal maker who could settle squabbles and maintain confidence. John Marinatto was an intellectual" (Maybe true, but???????? he let the enemy shape the battlefield.)
Per Aresco, “'The interest from this hire, from what I’ve seen in the media shows that the Big East matters,’’ he said. The Big East is absolutely one of the six major conferences.'’
Did you hear that ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10 and SEC?
That has not been the rhetoric since Pittsburgh and Syracuse bolted for the ACC and West Virginia checked into the Big 12. The Big East has been the pitcher whom everyone hits.
Now someone is hitting back." (That is the best news I've heard, chance for large TV $ notwithstanding. No more "stealth" conference will be a huge positive.)
Robbins seems to have changed his attitude. It's a pretty big turnaround.

Reaction Score
Lenn Robbins (New York Post) is not one of my favorites, but he is very high on the new Commissioner. Why significant? Robbins has never been a friend to the BE. Here are a few quotes:

"Top-flight, live sports programming is like a classic black cocktail dress. It’s never not in demand, and the Big East is the last good one on the rack."

"The fact is Aresco, and media consultants Bevilacqua Helfant, almost are guaranteed ( My only real issue with the 'column.' I know what he is saying and big$ are a significant possibility, but guaranteed? No such thing in business. It's not guaranteed until fully executed) of landing the Big East a lucrative TV deal.
"Did you hear that, Boston College, which has become all but irrelevant on the college sports landscape since joining the ACC? Did you hear that Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which have turned their backs on their own backyards?"
"The late great Dave Gavitt, the league’s first commissioner, was a visionary who saw what was needed in the Northeast and created the Big East.
Mike Tranghese was a back-room deal maker who could settle squabbles and maintain confidence. John Marinatto was an intellectual" (Maybe true, but???????? he let the enemy shape the battlefield.)
Per Aresco, “'The interest from this hire, from what I’ve seen in the media shows that the Big East matters,’’ he said. The Big East is absolutely one of the six major conferences.'’
Did you hear that ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10 and SEC?
That has not been the rhetoric since Pittsburgh and Syracuse bolted for the ACC and West Virginia checked into the Big 12. The Big East has been the pitcher whom everyone hits.
Now someone is hitting back." (That is the best news I've heard, chance for large TV $ notwithstanding. No more "stealth" conference will be a huge positive.)
Robbins seems to have changed his attitude. It's a pretty big turnaround.

Dang... Jus posted this on the other Aresco thread. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom