Faulty memory - which game was this? | The Boneyard

Faulty memory - which game was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Years ago, the UConn men & women played a double-header. I think the guys lost a thriller (?, could be mistaken) but the women won and, as a result, was ranked #1 in the next poll. This double-header was a big deal with lots of excitement heading into the games - and it sold a bazillion tickets. I sort of think the games might have been on the road (again, ?) Anyone remember which team it was that the Huskies played?

I was thinking this would be a neat thing for UConn to do in the future.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Years ago, the UConn men & women played a double-header. I think the guys lost a thriller (?, could be mistaken) but the women won and, as a result, was ranked #1 in the next poll. This double-header was a big deal with lots of excitement heading into the games - and it sold a bazillion tickets. I sort of think the games might have been on the road (again, ?) Anyone remember which team it was that the Huskies played?

I was thinking this would be a neat thing for UConn to do in the future.

Kansas. Can't remember the year.....will google

on edit: 1995.

"January 28, 1995|By TOM YANTZ; Courant Staff Writer

Tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday. For the University of Connecticut and its basketball fans, today is Super Saturday.

The top-ranked UConn women's team (16-0) plays No. 17 Kansas (14-4) at 1:30 p.m. in Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo. The No. 2 UConn men's team (15-0) plays No. 7 Kansas (14-2) at 4 p.m."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, I obviously misremembered a lot of details, didn't I?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm surprised more schools don't have double headers involving their men and women's teams. Seems like it would be a made for TV event that Fox Sports or ESPN would televise. I can see UConn, Duke, Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford and even Tenn would benefit from such an event. Schools like Duke would have to hold it off campus as Cameron Indoor doesn't have the seating capacity to support a double header. UConn could hold it at the XL Center and then the only problem is who gets the priority seating amongst the Season Ticket holders for each team.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I distinctly remember that Jim Calhoun was not a happy camper following the games. As far as I can recall, the men and women never did it again. With KO as coach I would think it might
happen. I forget her last name but I remember reading that 'Kim' did a dead-on impression of a flight attendant giving preflight instructions....was a huge hit with both squads.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I distinctly remember that Jim Calhoun was not a happy camper following the games. As far as I can recall, the men and women never did it again. With KO as coach I would think it might
happen. I forget her last name but I remember reading that 'Kim' did a dead-on impression of a flight attendant giving preflight instructions....was a huge hit with both squads.
Better?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
A UConn-Duke men's-women's doubleheader? That rotates between Gampel and Cameron? Have some sort of Center of the College Basketball Universe trophy awarded at the end.

Why do I have to come up with all of the good ideas?

Reaction Score
Yeah I think the 1995 Kansas games in Kansas City were the last mens/womens doubleheaders. UConn women won a pretty competitive game, and the men got murdered. Awkward.

Reaction Score
A UConn-Duke men's-women's doubleheader? That rotates between Gampel and Cameron? Have some sort of Center of the College Basketball Universe trophy awarded at the end.

Why do I have to come up with all of the good ideas?
Coach k won't play uconn at uconn...only at Duke and at a neutral court...

Reaction Score

Correct on all counts. Coach Calhoun felt that traveling with the women's team was a huge distraction for his team. Kim Better is the young lady to whom you are referring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In later years, Geno has said that if Rebecca plays great in this nationally televised game she wins national player of the year. She played great.

Reaction Score
As the men were being blown out at Kansas, the fans were chanting "over-rated," which upset the Kansas coach. I believe he spoke out against it after the game, and may have apologized.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I enjoyed going to this year's "double header" at XL and Gampel. I assume the ticket package was possible due to Ollie.
It was a bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom