Fantastic game for Saniya | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fantastic game for Saniya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Could Courtney be evolving into another Kelly? I know that's heretical, but if her defense improves, a possibility.
Ekmark is not a good enough athlete to do the things that Faris did. What made Faris so special was that she was fast enough to guard the 1 and 2 but also strong enough to guard the 3 and 4 if they tried to bury her on the blocks. Faris had an explosive first step and was a tremendous athlete and I just don't think that Ekmark has those same gifts. With that being said Ekmark brings her own unique set of skills that is valuable to the team. She is a good shooter, knows the game very well, doesn't make dumb mistakes, and she is a very good ball handler as well

Reaction Score
I think the bench has improved dramatically over the last month - Saniya, Kiah, Gabby, and Courtney are reliable subs that can be put in at any point now, IMO. And Tierney Lawlor and Briana Pulido have played better than players on a lot of teams in the AAC. Lately when those six players are on the floor, the Huskies have been able to increase the lead. I'm pretty happy with where the team, as a whole, are at right now.
Six on five will do that!

Reaction Score
Saniya's repertoire tonight was vintage Ossining at the next level. She has her confidence back!!

I agree. What was interesting is that UCONN could have run out the clock on their last possession instead Geno wanted them to run the offense giving Saniya another drive to the basket.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Humorously thought sarals might be instigating another jump shot/set shot debacle.
Ah. Sorry, didn't see the topic the first time it was brought up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not sure why Saniya would try to drive in for lay-ups in close competitive games when she is in with the starters.

Late to the party Dobbs

But I thought her three drives opened a very important new facet (at least in college) to her game.
Different from Mo's …for whom it seems the Red Sea opens as she flashes by, like the film version of the Dance in the Gym in West Side Story…everyone responding in slow motto.

In the first ofd Saniya's 3 drives, space near the hoop seemed non-existent.
Yet she somehow squeezed in and got off an unlikely shot…that went in
If it would have been once; it would have been a pleasant surprise…accident…smile, won't happen again.

But three times…? Has real meaning…an untapped new piece of her arsenal.

Very valuable, very useful.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, must have missed that, and it certainly doesn't show up in any of the play-by-play accounts, so not sure that it happened as you remembered.

Against Tulsa Saniya's baskets came on three 3-pters and a layup as the quick culmination of a Gabby steal that was a transition attack. In the Tulane game her layups came with the reserves in a very different situation where she is one of the main scoring threats on the floor and the defense isn't packing the middle as much to stop Stewie and Tuck. And sure, in those situations if Saniya can find a seam for a quick attack, that's a very good option.

The problem in the Tulsa game was that she was speeding into a packed middle of the defense and a defender was easily able to step in and take the charge, and Saniya couldn't stop her momentum. After the last of these failed foul-turnovers on the sidelines you could see Geno talking with her and making gestures about how she should be playing these situations. No idea what he told her but it was not that he wanted her charging into defenders, and you did not see any of these plays in the Tulane game when she picked up 8 assists. Her moves as the second PG are a work in progress on some points, and I'm sure she can effectively use some drives to the basket when she's in with the starters, but to be succesful they will need to have a different form and purpose than those couple in the Tulsa game.

Overall though, Saniya has been one of the big delights of the second half of the season and you can see Geno's preseason compliments of October coming to full fruition for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom