Fantastic game for Saniya | The Boneyard

Fantastic game for Saniya

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Chong didn't score a ton, but her baskets were really nice. Throw in eight assists and no turnovers, and Saniya had herself a hell of game.

Clearly, Saniya and Gabby are both going to be reliable pieces in a deep rotation next season. Imagine those two, Nurse, Stewie, Moriah, Tuck, Collier, Butler and Lou Conn. Even with "just" those nine, the team will be stacked....and that's not considering what Boykin and Courtney will be able to do.

Go Saniya! You are doing Ossining, NY proud.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Agree. Some of her baskets reminded me of the video I saw of her in high school, just getting to the basket with ease and finishing with both hands. Great to see her drive and not settle for jump shots. (set shots?)

Reaction Score
I was most impressed with Saniya's defense tonight, notwithstanding that sick "slither to the basket" move.

Reaction Score
Chong didn't score a ton, but her baskets were really nice. Throw in eight assists and no turnovers, and Saniya had herself a hell of game.

Clearly, Saniya and Gabby are both going to be reliable pieces in a deep rotation next season. Imagine those two, Nurse, Stewie, Moriah, Tuck, Collier, Butler and Lou Conn. Even with "just" those nine, the team will be stacked....and that's not considering what Boykin and Courtney will be able to do.

Go Saniya! You are doing Ossining, NY proud.

IMO CE can "play" too.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMO CE can "play" too.
I agree. I realize this thread is about Saniya but first I want to mention Courtney.

The announcers mentioned something about Courtney improving every game this season since she came back from her injury. I think even her harshest critics ("she plays like a walk on") can admit she looks like she belongs out there. She will never be the fleetest of foot, but she's a competent defender (for her lack of foot speed), seems to be getting into the offensive flow better, and is starting to hit her shots better. She's now up to 26% from beyond the arc (8-31), but 5 of those makes are in the past 2 games. Keep up the good work Courtney!

As for Saniya I totally agree. the only thing I would add is that she seems to be not only playing at a much faster pace, but succeeding at that faster pace. By that I mean she does NOT slow down the offense, and is making better decisions "faster". This is helping her decide instantly if she should shoot, drive, or pass, and it's all coming in the flow of the offense - nothing seems forced. I think it does stem from confidence, but that confidence might stem from having "done" all kinds of offensive plays over and over in practice that she's now able to play on "instinct and muscle memory". Really happy for her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the bench has improved dramatically over the last month - Saniya, Kiah, Gabby, and Courtney are reliable subs that can be put in at any point now, IMO. And Tierney Lawlor and Briana Pulido have played better than players on a lot of teams in the AAC. Lately when those six players are on the floor, the Huskies have been able to increase the lead. I'm pretty happy with where the team, as a whole, are at right now.

Reaction Score
Agree. Some of her baskets reminded me of the video I saw of her in high school, just getting to the basket with ease and finishing with both hands. Great to see her drive and not settle for jump shots. (set shots?)
Cut it out.

Reaction Score
Could Courtney be evolving into another Kelly? I know that's heretical, but if her defense improves, a possibility.

Reaction Score
None of them look lost out there, very little hesitation, scoring in the flow of the game. A lot to like. Still some recognition issues which always seem to manifest themselves as ugly passes, but game reps will help that.

Reaction Score
Could Courtney be evolving into another Kelly? I know that's heretical, but if her defense improves, a possibility.

Sorry, not even close to the same kind of player as Kelly...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, not even close to the same kind of player as Kelly...
Agree. Ekmark is not nearly as athletic as Faris. And never will be. And I don't think Faris is near as good as shooter as Ekmark will be. Quite different players.

Reaction Score
While there has been a lot of talk about how a week conference may hold back UConn, all these conference games have given the bench players more time on the floor to develop in game situations then they would of had other wise. As long as the starters are getting what they need out of the games (and I'm sure Geno is more then capable of making sure they do), then it could actually be an advantage for UConn down the line...

Saniya is the type of player that is always conscious of making mistakes and plays for a coach that is going to let you know when you make one.. In a close/competitive game she doesn't even try to make those drives to the hoop that she did. Now that she has done it a few times in a game, I expect to see it more often. I am very interested in seeing how she develops over the next few years.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So much to love about the bench. 20 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals, and 2 blocks, 0 personal fouls (not dumb or bad players), and just 3 TOs. The team UConn was playing is not that turnover prone or victims of that many steals (13 TOs and 9 steals against per game) but UConn got 23 and 18, showing just how nasty the defense was. And the bench was a big part of it. Tulane worked hard in the first half for their one halfway reasonable route for points, the three-pointer, but when UConn took that away in the second half they were left with little but fortunate scoop shots that wouldn't have succeeded if Stewie was still on the floor.

So much to love about some UConn season stats too as the 8-0 A\TO in the game for Saniya puts her at exactly 2.0 A\TO behind MoJeff's 3.0 A\TO, with Kia at 1.91, KML at 1.90, Morgan at 1.83, Stewie at 1.54, and Tierney is also up at 2.0 on 6 assists to 3 turnovers. Fantastic!

And the wars between the bench and reserves continued as despite the 8 steals for MoJeff (in 32 minutes), Gabby picked up 4 more in only 10 minutes and closed the gap in the all-important minutes-per-steal battle as MoJeff is down to 10.3, but Gabby dived down to 11.3. OTOH, though Gabby's blocks per minute average dwarfs MoJeff's, the Texas Terror definitely had the show stopper one last night. Kiah only had 1 block, but Tulane was smartly shying away from her, and you know that with 129 blocks and only 2 behind Lobo's season record, she wants to get that record in the next game at UConn.

And one of the great things for Saniya is that she is getting a big amount of time with a hybrid lineup of starters and reserves early in the second half, mainly as the PG since MoJeff is usually but not always sitting out then. Quite a few of her assists recently and last night came from a quick look inside to freeze the defense and then a perfect dump off to KML for an unguarded 3-pointer. Of course getting an assist depends on the shooter hitting the shot, and that is a lot less likely to happen when it's someone not named KML taking that shot. But Saniya just looks ferociously hungry for assists out there now, with Gabby being a great option and the two are developing a great routine, and the assists also open up the basket on occasions for a quick slice and lay-up for her too.

And what's wrong with set shots? In my day that's what they taught us, set shots and two-handed lay-ups, and what's good enough for my granddad is good enough for me, with addition of course of all those new-fangled inventions like internet forums that came along afterward.

Reaction Score
Lately when those six players are on the floor, the Huskies have been able to increase the lead.
I think you make a very good point. Earlier in the season, no matter how good a "face" one wishes to put on it, a significant dropoff in quality of play occurred on both ends of the floor, once Geno reached farther down the bench beyond Kiah and Gabby. Obviously, to some extent, this can be expected with deeper reserves on any team. One nevertheless got the sense that, in lopsided games, the coach was doing his very best to give bench players sufficient minutes to build up their confidence levels and, simultaneously, especially in games vs. the likes of Jamelle, avoid running up the score too embarrassingly. Frustratingly, for quite a while there he seemed to be much more successful at achieving the second objective than the first. But, as you point out, everything is changing, especially with respect to Saniya, and, lately, with Courtney as well. Demonstrates the extent to which performance in this game is so dependent on confidence! Now, any "noble" attempt to manage the MOV is getting tougher to accomplish.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sonny44 said:

She will never be as quick as Kelly, nor will she ever jump as high. As I said before, her ceiling is probably to be another Mel Thomas. If she does that by about this time next year, she will become a very valued contributor and will earn perhaps 12-15 non-garbage minutes per game.

Which is all that the original Mel would have played on this year's or next year's team.

Reaction Score
So much to love about the bench. 20 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals, and 2 blocks, 0 personal fouls (not dumb or bad players), and just 3 TOs. The team UConn was playing is not that turnover prone or victims of that many steals (13 TOs and 9 steals against per game) but UConn got 23 and 18, showing just how nasty the defense was. And the bench was a big part of it. Tulane worked hard in the first half for their one halfway reasonable route for points, the three-pointer, but when UConn took that away in the second half they were left with little but fortunate scoop shots that wouldn't have succeeded if Stewie was still on the floor.

So much to love about some UConn season stats too as the 8-0 A\TO in the game for Saniya puts her at exactly 2.0 A\TO behind MoJeff's 3.0 A\TO, with Kia at 1.91, KML at 1.90, Morgan at 1.83, Stewie at 1.54, and Tierney is also up at 2.0 on 6 assists to 3 turnovers. Fantastic!

And the wars between the bench and reserves continued as despite the 8 steals for MoJeff (in 32 minutes), Gabby picked up 4 more in only 10 minutes and closed the gap in the all-important minutes-per-steal battle as MoJeff is down to 10.3, but Gabby dived down to 11.3. OTOH, though Gabby's blocks per minute average dwarfs MoJeff's, the Texas Terror definitely had the show stopper one last night. Kiah only had 1 block, but Tulane was smartly shying away from her, and you know that with 129 blocks and only 2 behind Lobo's season record, she wants to get that record in the next game at UConn.

And one of the great things for Saniya is that she is getting a big amount of time with a hybrid lineup of starters and reserves early in the second half, mainly as the PG since MoJeff is usually but not always sitting out then. Quite a few of her assists recently and last night came from a quick look inside to freeze the defense and then a perfect dump off to KML for an unguarded 3-pointer. Of course getting an assist depends on the shooter hitting the shot, and that is a lot less likely to happen when it's someone not named KML taking that shot. But Saniya just looks ferociously hungry for assists out there now, with Gabby being a great option and the two are developing a great routine, and the assists also open up the basket on occasions for a quick slice and lay-up for her too.

And what's wrong with set shots? In my day that's what they taught us, set shots and two-handed lay-ups, and what's good enough for my granddad is good enough for me, with addition of course of all those new-fangled inventions like internet forums that came along afterward.
two-handed layups? you can't be that old.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
two-handed layups? you can't be that old.
It was 2nd or 3rd grade back in the early '60s, and the elementary school gym teachers certainly were that old. They probably remembered shooting at peach baskets.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
While there has been a lot of talk about how a week conference may hold back UConn, all these conference games have given the bench players more time on the floor to develop in game situations then they would of had other wise. As long as the starters are getting what they need out of the games (and I'm sure Geno is more then capable of making sure they do), then it could actually be an advantage for UConn down the line...

Saniya is the type of player that is always conscious of making mistakes and plays for a coach that is going to let you know when you make one.. In a close/competitive game she doesn't even try to make those drives to the hoop that she did. Now that she has done it a few times in a game, I expect to see it more often. I am very interested in seeing how she develops over the next few years.
Not sure why Saniya would try to drive in for lay-ups in close competitive games when she is in with the starters. The paint is usually guarded very closely for Stewie and Morgan, and for Saniya to try driving into the paint to try and get off a lay-up when there are far better options (plus her role is to dish assists like the 8 she picked up last night) with the stars seems odd. She has made occasional drives into the paint with the starters in, and at best she's been able to lay the ball off to someone like Stewie for a lay-up, but more often as in probably three times in the Tulsa game, a defender stepped in and took a charge. Kia gets hit with a fair number of these charge calls also on her drives to the paint, and that's why the quick dish that UConn is so good at is usually the better option. MoJeff is in a different category, and no one has her ability to blast through and under defenders.

Yeah, I think it's a work in progress and that the coaches are instructing Saniya how to push the ball in closer, probably for a feed to a cutting Tuck or Stewie, but I'm guessing that the lay-ups for her will come mainly in the later stages of the game when the opponents are concentrating on stopping another feed to Gabby, Courtney, or Kiah and a small lane opens up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There was a lot of talk about how weak the AAC was. Well it gave our non starters a chance to play and they are maturing quickly now. Saniya is off the charts good and has the coaching staffs confidence. Gabby is a wow player too. EK is showing signs of moving up after her injury. UConn is deep and really really good. Unstoppable a big yes.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There was a lot of talk about how weak the AAC was. Well it gave our non starters a chance to play and they are maturing quickly now. Saniya is off the charts good and has the coaching staffs confidence. Gabby is a wow player too. EK is showing signs of moving up after her injury. UConn is deep and really really good. Unstoppable a big yes.
Yeah, the bad thing for Courtney is that her stats will look bad this year because she had to play her way back into shape and coordination, so she's been getting experience at the expense of poor stats as she fought through the learning curve. But that's not a huge price to pay, and on the bright side everybody will be saying next year that she's at twice as good next year when she's a tough and productive sophomore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that Courtney may become a taller version of Mel. She appears to have found her shot, which is great news.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I guess I can say this UConn teams does not have a weakness. No weaknesses on this team at all. They play as an unselfish unit and compliment each other. I cant see any opposition that can keep up with them. One big eye opener is when Geno sat his stars just before the SC game and UConn won big. It is impossible to measure how good this team is and keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom