Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The following are reasons why 40% turnover per year is bad for the sport, which was the statement to which you responded. Mind you these reasons have been expressed before, but I guess you missed them.

1. 40% turnover per year means a harder time to build team chemistry = less pleasing product to watch from many teams. We happen to have a coach that can still excel in this climate, but you are looking for reasons that are bad for the sport, not bad for UConn. A less pleasing product to watch may not be an issue for fans of a few, but will be for fans of the many, hence, bad for the sport.

2. Team chemistry is what allows well-coached mid majors to catch up with more talented but less well coached majors by the time of March Madness. As one-and-dones proliferated on the college scene, so did Cinderella stories at the end of the year. With a 40% turnover hurting mid majors more than majors, we are at the beginning of an era in which we are witnessing that trend being reversed. You can count on it. Once again, good for a few, including UConn, but bad for fans of the many, hence, bad for engaging the total fanbaor the sport.

3. Fans enjoy rooting for players over time. Granted, if a one or two year player makes the kind of difference as a Cam Spenser, this does a lot towards enjoying his presence on the team for only one year. But this kind of fan enjoyment from transients will, once again, only benefit the fans of a few teams. Good for UConn, but bad for the sport.
Tl;dr - Many of the mids that advance in the tourney are older. Guys who've been together 2-3 years. Without that experience, expect fewer Cinderellas and fun underdog stories, while getting more middling boring P5s into 2nd weekend

Reaction Score
The following are reasons why 40% turnover per year is bad for the sport, which was the statement to which you responded. Mind you these reasons have been expressed before, but I guess you missed them.

1. 40% turnover per year means a harder time to build team chemistry = less pleasing product to watch from many teams. We happen to have a coach that can still excel in this climate, but you are looking for reasons that are bad for the sport, not bad for UConn. A less pleasing product to watch may not be an issue for fans of a few, but will be for fans of the many, hence, bad for the sport.

2. Team chemistry is what allows well-coached mid majors to catch up with more talented but less well coached majors by the time of March Madness. As one-and-dones proliferated on the college scene, so did Cinderella stories at the end of the year. With a 40% turnover hurting mid majors more than majors, we are at the beginning of an era in which we are witnessing that trend being reversed. You can count on it. Once again, good for a few, including UConn, but bad for fans of the many, hence, bad for engaging the total fanbase for the sport.

3. Fans enjoy rooting for players over time. Granted, if a one or two year player makes the kind of difference as a Cam Spenser, this does a lot towards enjoying his presence on the team for only one year. But this kind of fan enjoyment from transients will, once again, only benefit the fans of a few teams. Good for UConn, but bad for the sport.
I'm sorry you wasted your time on this post. This is useless drivel.

Chemistry is hard now? It's always been hard and this doesn't change that. Good coaches figure out and bad ones don't. This isn't new.

Fans want to root for bad players to eventually be good? People wanna root for good players and good teams, period. I don't care how it happens, be good and fans will flock to you.

Mid majors get screwed here? The entire mountain west made the tournament this year. Half the final four last year was mid majors and Miami who basically bought its team.

Are we watching the same sport? The transfer portal has brought more parity to the sport, not less.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you wasted your time on this post. This is useless drivel.

Chemistry is hard now? It's always been hard and this doesn't change that. Good coaches figure out and bad ones don't. This isn't new.

Fans want to root for bad players to eventually be good? People wanna root for good players and good teams, period. I don't care how it happens, be good and fans will flock to you.

Mid majors get screwed here? The entire mountain west made the tournament this year. Half the final four last year was mid majors and Miami who basically bought its team.

Are we watching the same sport? The transfer portal has brought more parity to the sport, not less.
This is useless drivel, I'm sorry you spent the time typing it and I spent the time reading it.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on principle, but it seems to me like the loopholes would swallow the rule. School can't pay? OK, boosters pay $750K for him to show up at some event to sign autographs.

Yeah, I have no idea how to go about it. I just don’t see this as being sustainable long term. In my opinion players need to be allowed to profit off their name without being handed cash directly by programs and donors/boosters. How we get there, I don’t know.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, the people who profit off of the players' labor should be the ones deciding their future for them. I'm sorry, this is an insane take and I don't see any point in continuing this conversation with you if this is what you believe.
? You mean like the NBA? Where owners profit off their labor but they can’t move around Willy nilly? You’re right in that I don’t see this going anywhere.

Reaction Score
LMAO. Avoid players being professionals? They have allowed it and are encouraging it. They’ve just put themselves on the idiotic path of thinking that if the athletes are paid, better someone else should pay them.
Are you paying attention? They are doing their damnedest to avoid it. Despite everything, they don't want anything that says these players are employees.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I have no idea how to go about it. I just don’t see this as being sustainable long term. In my opinion players need to be allowed to profit off their name without being handed cash directly by programs and donors/boosters. How we get there, I don’t know.
You cant

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think at this point NCAA athletes need some sort of union to come up with a CBA with the NCAA so they can work together to put in place rules around the portal and compensation. Because without one random athletes will continue to sue the NCAA to block whatever rules they eventually put in place.

A CBA could put in place enforceable rules about transfer limits, compensation, tampering / inducements, etc. all things the NCAA has no control over now and likely won’t be able to get control over because any new rules they create will be hit with a TRO and spend years working it’s way through the courts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think at this point NCAA athletes need some sort of union to come up with a CBA with the NCAA so they can work together to put in place rules around the portal and compensation. Because without one random athletes will continue to sue the NCAA to block whatever rules they eventually put in place.

A CBA could put in place enforceable rules about transfer limits, compensation, tampering / inducements, etc. all things the NCAA has no control over now and likely won’t be able to get control over because any new rules they create will be hit with a TRO and spend years working it’s way through the courts.
Where is the impetus for athletes To unionize when they effectively have unlimited free agency right now?

Reaction Score
There's roughly 190k division 1 athletes. Are we forming a union that covers all of them? Are we understanding that roughly 95% of these athletes play sports that lose money?

Welcome to the minor league baseball model.

Reaction Score
Where is the impetus for athletes To unionize when they effectively have unlimited free agency right now?
Players might want stability as well. Nobody wants to move all their crap 4 times in 4 years.

But that might just be accomplished with multi-year NIL deals with actual enforceability as this all settles down into more normal times and agents and collectives become more entrenched.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
M
You're not in the minority. I posted a poll on here last week: portal "like it or dislike it:"
the vast majority, 78%, voted with you.
Try it again if UConn at some point becomes a portal loser. Yankee fans (including me) were pretty ok with free agency when NY was mostly immune from key departures. That didn’t last forever even though NY is still obviously a major player.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Players might want stability as well. Nobody wants to move all their crap 4 times in 4 years.

But that might just be accomplished with multi-year NIL deals with actual enforceability as this all settles down into more normal times and agents and collectives become more entrenched.
If you're going up my income by $1 million a year every time I move, I'll move as often as you'd like.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is the issue. Any suggested change just forces kids back into bad situations. Your suggestion would have that "diamond in the rough" not make any money and be forced to stay at his school or sit out a full season.

You don't have to like the portal, and there are certain parts about it that aren't ideal for sure, but it's 100% better for the kids overall. This coach doesn't have to be happy but based on Fanta's description of him he also makes millions of dollars every year. The only reason he makes those millions is because of the product the kids put out there.
I never said a diamond in the rough player should be “trapped”. I am saying the fans of that lower tier team aren’t exactly thrilled at losing maybe the first real stud they ever had. As a UConn fan in the 60s I would not have done cartwheels if Kimball or Bialosukinia had jumped ship to say Duke. Or a few years later if Corny had decided to head to Chapel Hill. UConn was a high performing mid major. Let the kid be locked into a fixed term contract. 2 years is fine with me. Personally I don’t think a 19 or 20 year old is getting screwed if they are getting a full college ride and have to wait a year under paid contract before getting a very nice NIL deal if they can get it somewhere.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I never said a diamond in the rough player should be “trapped”. I am saying the fans of that lower tier team aren’t exactly thrilled at losing maybe the first real stud they ever had. As a UConn fan in the 60s I would not have done cartwheels if Kimball or Bialosukinia had jumped ship to say Duke. Or a few years later if Corny had decided to head to Chapel Hill. UConn was a high performing mid major. Let the kid be locked into a fixed term contract. 2 years is fine with me. Personally I don’t think a 19 or 20 year old is getting screwed if they are getting a full college ride and have to wait a year under paid contract before getting a very nice NIL deal if they can get it somewhere.

My post wasn't responding to you, so I'm not sure why you responded that way lol. If the NCAA wants to require that players sign contracts they can go ahead and try but I am guessing that wouldn't be possible without declaring the students as employees. And that model just doesn't seem feasible financially from what I've read. Not for the players, the schools, or the NCAA.

Reaction Score
? You mean like the NBA? Where owners profit off their labor but they can’t move around Willy nilly? You’re right in that I don’t see this going anywhere.
The NBA collectively bargains with the players to set up those guardrails. The NCAA is bending over backwards to not have to recognize college athletes as employees. It's not oven close to the same situation

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Fair point haha

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The NBA collectively bargains with the players to set up those guardrails. The NCAA is bending over backwards to not have to recognize college athletes as employees. It's not oven close to the same situation
Agreed. The NCAA is dumb. But it’s the same concept as far as getting paid for what you do and having to make a commitment to the people who are paying you.

NCAA is just dumb enough to have absolutely no rules behind it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My post wasn't responding to you, so I'm not sure why you responded that way lol. If the NCAA wants to require that players sign contracts they can go ahead and try but I am guessing that wouldn't be possible without declaring the students as employees. And that model just doesn't seem feasible financially from what I've read. Not for the players, the schools, or the NCAA.
Nah. Services contracts in excess of $1000 need to be in writing. Therefore any NIL deal in excess of $1000 needs to be in writing simply under ordinary contract law. This is protective of players as well. Once you stick to that, it becomes easier to say an NIL contract between player and any booster of a team cannot occur until the player commits to the school.

The players should really not hope to become employees. That wouldn't go well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I had used the term “diamond in the rough”. Anyway, i’m not so sure how the financial feasibility is calculated now into recruiting related budgets. You have a lot of staff time and money regarding every recruit and a state school is giving an out of stater 40 to 60 thousand worth of value and the privates 55000 and more a year. Is that money well spent on a player who leaves for more return after a year or two? Do they now have to include some sort of new loss factor into the budget? We might well be headed to employee status. The coaches are under contract already. One of the arguments
Pfor the revenue athletes has been that they, unlike other students, bring money in so should be compensated. They are now able to trade on their names. The players being perpetual free agents might not be sustainable or good for the sport.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Football transfer portal is so crazy that kids are literally transferring from a school during winter session and transferring back to the school they transferred from after spring practice.

Absolute mess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom