Famous Last Words | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Famous Last Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I could be all wrong on this point but I suspect that Duquesne's players don't regularly have press conferences. If so, then I wouldn't expect them to be particularly media savvy and be aware of how something looks differently in print versus what it sounds like on tape.

Anyone happen to know if Atlantic 10 teams routinely have pressers after their regular season games.

Reaction Score
Way out of proportion. None of their kids said or did anything inappropriate. Isn't beating them handily enough?
There are there are two important considerations here, I believe. First, these are kids who love playing basketball - not responding to media questions. Second, does everyone know how difficult it is to sit in front of a microphone and try to answer questions being thrown from several directions? Brains freeze - I've been there. Even our beloved Stewie, in last night's presser said something that other teams around the country might be irked by - "We work harder than anyone in the country..."! That probably is true, but Stewie really doesn't know that. In my mind, it would have been better to say, "no-one in the country works harder than we!" It's just less inflammatory.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How does it motivate the players any more than they are already motivated?
CD and Geno do NOT let these kids tweet, FB, Instagram, etc etc during the season. I'm sure the kids have access to the internet but were they even aware of what the Duquesne player said? ...
UCONN roster is full of ULTRA competitive kids and yes they were aware because 3 of them Kia, Morgan & Stewie commented on this in the post game pressers- See Jimbo's post for the exact quotes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some of my friends on the Board seem to think opposing players should approach a game with the Huskies by saying, "Gee, it's obvious that the team we're about to face is so great that we're about to get our butts whipped fiercely, and, really, I don't know why we're even bothering to dress out for this one."
Yea, duh. Why shouldn't they say that? What's the matter with honesty?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I could be all wrong on this point but I suspect that Duquesne's players don't regularly have press conferences. If so, then I wouldn't expect them to be particularly media savvy and be aware of how something looks differently in print versus what it sounds like on tape.

Anyone happen to know if Atlantic 10 teams routinely have pressers after their regular season games.

I think this may be a really good point. If Duquesne's team doesn't have press conferences regularly, they haven't had as much practice at saying something to say very little to nothing.

There may be other WBB teams as media savvy as UConn, may be, none are more so. It's what we fans are used to hearing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Way out of proportion. None of their kids said or did anything inappropriate. Isn't beating them handily enough?
No. Absolutely not.

You don't want them to go away after the game thinking they might have a chance next time. You want them beat before the tip-off. You want them beat when they see the name "UCONN" on the jersey. You want to crush their spirit such that they question whether this is really the sport for them.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You were, not sure what Kibitz was reading. :confused:

I invite your attention to post #23 in this thread. I acknowledged my error and apologized for it.:oops:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn.Emilie Gronas saw something Monday night in Duquesne’s 97-51 NCAA Tournament second-round loss to No. 1 Connecticut that’s seldom seen in women’s college basketball.

She saw the Dukes go toe-to-toe with the top team in the nation for 15 minutes.

And she saw something else.

“I saw some fear in their eyes, and that was great to see,” she observed. “Many other teams, they just stroll through and it looks so easy for them. I think they had to work for it today, especially in the beginning. I’m so proud of my teammates.”

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/03/22/tired-dukes-run-out-of-gas/#comments

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
UConn won by 36. Sagarin's "predictor" number makes UConn roughly a 37-point favorite at home to Duquesne. (Sure, UConn could have won by more but they could have won by more in a lot of games all season long, so UConn taking their foot off the gas is sort of built in to that Sagarin number).

To me, this is a false narrative. UConn didn't do better than expected because they were motivated by this players comment. They did exactly as well as expected.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I invite your attention to post #23 in this thread. I acknowledged my error and apologized for it.:oops:
I didn't get to it til later. I don't always read all the way through a thread before responding because by the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what I was going to say. ;)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'll have to go back and watch the post game presser. I will admit I did not catch it. They referred to UCONN as "bullies" and referred to us as "soul crushers and soul dominators"? I'm not sure about the last 2 phrases, but I don't see UCONN as "bullies".
The Duquesne coach switched from the word "bullies" and said that he may have used the word wrong... and decided to go with "soul crushers" and soul dominators". Apparently that was better or more accurate in his mind. :confused: I wish I was making this up lol. All in all I read about 10 different articles before the game with the Dukes and listened to all the press conferences pre-game also listened to his podcast and attempted to listen to his piece on the radio show yesterday morning but couldn't get to it. I also watched their practice video @ Gampel before the game. He had many interesting things to say.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn won by 36. Sagarin's "predictor" number makes UConn roughly a 37-point favorite at home to Duquesne. (Sure, UConn could have won by more but they could have won by more in a lot of games all season long, so UConn taking their foot off the gas is sort of built in to that Sagarin number).

To me, this is a false narrative. UConn didn't do better than expected because they were motivated by this players comment. They did exactly as well as expected.
Soooo I guess that's about 9 points of motivation. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Duquesne coach switched from the word "bullies" and said that he may have used the word wrong... and decided to go with "soul crushers" and soul dominators". Apparently that was better or more accurate in his mind. :confused: I wish I was making this up lol. All in all I read about 10 different articles before the game with the Dukes and listened to all the press conferences pre-game also listened to his podcast and attempted to listen to his piece on the radio show yesterday morning but couldn't get to it. I also watched their practice video @ Gampel before the game. He had many interesting things to say.
Soul crushers and soul dominators sound like a pretty good description to me. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Soooo I guess that's about 9 points of motivation. :cool:

Perhaps so. The larger argument stands, though, this was a blowout no matter what. UConn could have chose their number.

That said - I still wouldn't say anything like that about UConn. The media scrutiny is such that any little comment will be seized on. Better to say, "We know it will be tough but we're going to play our hardest and see what happens"

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn.Emilie Gronas saw something Monday night in Duquesne’s 97-51 NCAA Tournament second-round loss to No. 1 Connecticut that’s seldom seen in women’s college basketball.

She saw the Dukes go toe-to-toe with the top team in the nation for 15 minutes.

And she saw something else.

“I saw some fear in their eyes, and that was great to see,” she observed. “Many other teams, they just stroll through and it looks so easy for them. I think they had to work for it today, especially in the beginning. I’m so proud of my teammates.”

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/03/22/tired-dukes-run-out-of-gas/#comments
She believed she saw fear? Oh boy, well I guess that's fitting since they also believed they played good defense while giving up 97 points. So all is relative I suppose.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I didn't get to it til later. I don't always read all the way through a thread before responding because by the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what I was going to say. ;)

In the case of post #32, that would have been a good idea. It's lack of a smiley makes it sound like someone who's more interested in winning than in playing well, which is not the example our girls give us.

Reaction Score
How does it motivate the players any more than they are already motivated? Do you think the MOV would have been any different if Workman had not said what she did? I get that these kids are human, and they may get fired up like some on the BY seem to have been, BUT...

CD and Geno do NOT let these kids tweet, FB, Instagram, etc etc during the season. I'm sure the kids have access to the internet but were they even aware of what the Duquesne player said? And to echo what several others said - I'd be shocked and saddened if a kid approached playing UCONN in the NCAA's like "we are going to lose by 100 so let's just go out there and lay down for them".

I thought for most of the 1st quarter Duquesne played really well. This is another mid major team (like Dayton last year, and Wisc GB) that seems to have a coach who REALLY plays team ball. I thought the Duques played with intensity, passion, and on offense, they ran some really good stuff. Obviously it worked for a while against UCONN as well. Their kids came in with no fear, and it showed. I was proud of their effort right to the end...
They dont post but they do follow them.

Reaction Score
Watching the Duquesne coach charge up and down the sideline working the refs made me think he did not really enjoy his trip to the petting zoo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When I first read Workman's comment, I shook my head. You should let sleeping dogs lie.

But hearing her speak, I didn't get the feeling that she was fronting. This didn't feel like an ego-driven thing.

Watching her play, I was impressed with her skills and more importantly her mental toughness. She played like a Husky.

I didn't hear Workman's comments, so I can't speak to whatever it was she said. I too was very impressed with her play last night. She did play like a Husky. IMO she would fit very well into the fabric of our team and would make significant contributions thereto. I would have no problem if she were a member of our team.

The following comment is speaking IN GENERAL in reference to anyone making statements or comments during interviews and press conferences. What ever you say, is yours! You must own it then, and down the road. No matter how its perceived, you must own it. If you poke the bear, or tug on Superman's cape (I frown on cape tugging by the way), you've got to be willing to pay the consequences, and or face the music afterwards.

Its exactly like making comments or posting a take here in the Boneyard. You are held accountable for everything you post. You can't post something, then back track when someone calls you on it. You can't say that you were misquoted or "that's not what I meant". If you post something that is factually incorrect, its still yours. Its happened me a few times. I acknowledged my error, apologized, and thanked the poster that corrected my gaff. You write it, you own it. Its yours.

I've always been extremely impressed with the way all of the UConn women comport and express themselves when ever a microphone is in front of them. They are taught and trained to NEVER say anything that is disrespectful (cheap shots - that's why I don't like Skip Bayless. He does it regularly to in-studio guests, and other ESPN personnel. I think its disrespectful, unnecessary and very unprofessional), boastful or would shed a bad or negative light on themselves or the program.

They always say "WE", not "I". They always praise their teammates and give THEM credit for their success. Chris Daley does an excellent job in tutoring her charges on the finer points of media relations. Its obvious that ALL of the UConn players must take and pass Media interviewing 101, BEFORE they are allowed to speak to the media. We all know how the media can and will take an innocent reference or comment, and blow it up way out of proportion.

If our girls can do it, so can others. Its just a matter of learning how to speak, what to say and what not to say. Its simply a matter of thinking BEFORE you speak.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Carnac - nice post and I agree - but it is also a matter of being exposed. Most Uconn recruits have had microphones in their face before and after HS games for years, and if they haven't, as soon as they become a recruiting target the exposure begins with the horde calling and stopping them at travel tournaments. Once they commit they begin to really get exposed and when they arrive, their first official practice is first night with not just media but swarms of fan interactions.
Mid-major kids don't get that kind of exposure most of the time, no one made a big deal about their recruitment or their commitment, they play in front of pretty small crowds and they are happy if someone besides a student reporter shows up for 'media availability' - just a huge difference. Get to the NCAA for the first time in school history, and at Uconn no less and it is a really big adjustment.

This whole thread is a little over the top - I didn't see anything disrespectful or out of line from them before or after the game. Surprise surprise a coach working the refs - look at old film of Geno! Colorful turns of phrase - neat, wish more coaches were articulate. Teams speaking like they can compete and have a chance - duh! Could have done without the whine on fouls in the post game presser - it was a pretty foul free contest for both teams, and it was also pretty physical from both teams. And the only mistaken impression - don't think that was fear in the eyes, maybe a little frustration.

Reaction Score
I have been traveling so will not get to see the game until i get home..... so I do not know how badly Workman came off.... but that being said..... I seldom am offended when opponent dismisses the competition in terms of beholding belief in his/her own abilities and that of her team..... I think one has to do that.....

Of course it crosses the line the SECOND it turns into disrespect for your opponent.... not having seen the clip ..... I do not know if Workman crossed that line.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom