Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Fines, who I was hoping would see this as an opportunity to make up for the missed opportunity he had at the U.

As for Fines, the coaches were not thrilled at the shape he was in upon arrival in Storrs.

“He’s got to be in great condition. He knows that. He did not come in in the greatest of shape so he was a little bit behind the 8-ball,” Dottin-Carter said. “He knows that he has to push himself. He was supposed to be a guy who would compete for that starting job, which he still is.”

Fines is a 6-foot-4, 304-pound native of Bradenton, Florida, who was a three-star recruit that chose the Hurricanes over offers from Arizona, Clemson, South Florida and Cincinnati.

His Miami career, however, did not turn out exactly as he planned. Fines played in just three games over the last two seasons, making a total of three tackles.
Not sure how a guy w/3 career tackles decides to mail it in. Here's hoping he gets his head and body right. Certainly doesn't make that strong first impression of a guy committed to playing high level football

Reaction Score
Glad to hear something about Rose. I thought it was weird that they burned his redshirt last year on specials, unless 2016 counted as his redshirt season
No doubt he will start at quarterback and tight end and likely throw several td passes to himself. I know he is from Southington which may well be the only place more self absorbed than West Hartford on the planet, but right now he is maybe the 4th or 5th tight end. Probably spend most of his pt on specials.

Reaction Score
LOL. You think Rose was an all American the way they talk about him !

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Fines, who I was hoping would see this as an opportunity to make up for the missed opportunity he had at the U.

As for Fines, the coaches were not thrilled at the shape he was in upon arrival in Storrs.

“He’s got to be in great condition. He knows that. He did not come in in the greatest of shape so he was a little bit behind the 8-ball,” Dottin-Carter said. “He knows that he has to push himself. He was supposed to be a guy who would compete for that starting job, which he still is.”

Fines is a 6-foot-4, 304-pound native of Bradenton, Florida, who was a three-star recruit that chose the Hurricanes over offers from Arizona, Clemson, South Florida and Cincinnati.

His Miami career, however, did not turn out exactly as he planned. Fines played in just three games over the last two seasons, making a total of three tackles.
Not sure how a guy w/3 career tackles decides to mail it in. Here's hoping he gets his head and body right. Certainly doesn't make that strong first impression of a guy committed to playing high level football

He basically admitted he had little respect for the program when he said , “Today was not my best day, I came in probably a little overconfident".

So basically Fines was thinking "this is only UConn, and even though I wasn't good enough to get much playing time in Miami, I can waltz in (come in fat and out of shape) and be a starter here". My 96 year old, 110 pound mother, had bigger biceps than this guy so what's he been doing since he committed this winter?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
He basically admitted he had little respect for the program when he said , “Today was not my best day, I came in probably a little overconfident".

So basically Fines was thinking "this is only UConn, and even though I wasn't good enough to get much playing time in Miami, I can waltz in (come in fat and out of shape) and be a starter here". My 96 year old, 110 pound mother, had bigger biceps than this guy so what's he been doing since he committed this winter?

Agreed. Sounds like kind of a clown. Hope he proves me wrong

Reaction Score

Please post a pic of mom in the morning so we can decide ...

Reaction Score
I'm with Phil re: Fines right now. First impression not good. However, there is time to rectify that. Admitting to his mistake is a good step forward. Randy said he hit his target weight when he showed up this week, so that is also good. Now Fines has to go out and earn his playing time.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he didn’t take this seriously but getting thrown in with the 3s and 4s woke him up. Make him earn his way up.

Reaction Score
Fines had to graduate in 3 years in order to enroll at UConn - a solid feat for which he should be proud. He may have been concentrating on school rather than working out so much in the spring. If he hasn’t established himself on the depth chart by the opener then it will be time to question him.

Reaction Score
Not much talk about yesterday’s session. Was curious to see if the guys improved from Day 1 from a conditioning perspective. Seems like that as the issue on Wed.
Was waiting for the media recaps

Reaction Score
Fines had to graduate in 3 years in order to enroll at UConn - a solid feat for which he should be proud. He may have been concentrating on school rather than working out so much in the spring. If he hasn’t established himself on the depth chart by the opener then it will be time to question him.
If u spend summers on campus, not such a big accomplishment.

Reaction Score
I will repeat my previous question. When does contact start? Perhaps tomorrow or Sunday? Anyone know? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Reaction Score
Please post a pic of mom in the morning so we can decide ...

She died in 2011 so I won't be able to do that.
We don’t have enough information on Fines to make that leap.

It’s a first impression by his position coach. Let’s see what that brings on Aug 30.

Agreed. Just an attempt at a little levity.

Reaction Score
Dick. Not exactly sure when contact starts. I think I read that due to concussion concerns the amount of contact permitted has been greatly reduced. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t start until next week some time as a result.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dick. Not exactly sure when contact starts. I think I read that due to concussion concerns the amount of contact permitted has been greatly reduced. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t start until next week some time as a result.

Off tangent, if the HOF pre-season game is where we are headed in this sport - I might not stick around for the long haul. Between the endless commercials and flag festival for contact penalties the NFL product is not getting easier to watch...especially if you aren't watching your team or watching for fantasy nonsense.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'd love to watch a game with whomever grades UConn players for them. Every week is bizarre.

Outside of ECU Donaldson caught 10 passes for 110 yards. He must be one hell of a blocker.

I've totally disregarded them. The grades make no sense

Reaction Score
If u spend summers on campus, not such a big accomplishment.
Players generally take a reduced load in the fall and some in the spring due to official and unofficial practice demands. In this case he graduated back in May so he didn’t even use this final summer at Miami. There’s a reason two year graduate transfers are rare - because very few players, even with summers (and they obviously have workout commitments in the summer too), are able to play D-I football and graduate in 3 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom