F the ACC - Official UCONN vs NCState prediction thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

F the ACC - Official UCONN vs NCState prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn's defense will be stellar once again. Will they shut out NC St.....doubtful. They'll get to Glennon but the odds of them not giving anything at all up two weeks in a row are more than I care to wager on. Yet I don't see them giving up any touchdowns. Our defense poses different problems than Tennessee did and they won't be able to correct it at half time. They'll think they can run on us with Stephen and Jennings being questionable but Brown will compensate. Offensive turnovers(fumbles) will shorten their time of possession. If NC St scores a TD it will probably be on an interception. Our special teams and kicking game should shine once again leaving NC St with lots of real estate to overcome. Offensively Coach P will most likely try and exploit their weak linebacking corps. A healthy dose of Nick Williams and the tight ends on 2nd and 3rd downs should soften them up. I can see a grind it out, heavy run, short pass, lots of screens game to wear them out in the fourth quarter. Now I believe like most do that Deleone purposely made it so NC St would have to prepare for everything and anything coming out of the UMass game. So who knows what the game plan will actually be but I doubt they'll try and exploit the Wolfpack's CB Amerson like Tennesse did. Will UConn score 37 again? probably not. Two field goals is all NC St will muster. Two touchdowns on offense, a defensive or special teams TD and 3 more field goals for us.

My prediction: UConn 29 NC St 6

Reaction Score
We got 2 put some serious pressure on the qb, blizes from lb, and coner blitzes, keep him on balance, and we got 2 score, just like the umass game, int, punt or fg blocks, I think we pull it out 24-13

Reaction Score
I just want to see a lot fewer handoffs to McCombs on first down, unless he is able to get more than 3 yards per carry. UConn 24 NCSU 23.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Nervous nellie on this one, I see this as one great early season test for the lads. I feel confident that our D will show. I believe that we will see a different mindset on the OL and with play calling. I just hope CW will do great job of game management, and keep an eye on their D.

I think we squeak by, winning the first game of the one game season in front of us.

And with that, I need to assemble every game mojo item I have and get it read for Saturday.

Reaction Score
RedSoloCup said
And with that, I need to assemble every game mojo item I have and get it read for Saturday.

Amen to that!! We all need to send our good Karma UConn's way this weekend. Man it would be sweet to be 2-0 going to Maryland.

Reaction Score
We need a much better effort from th OL and Whitmer needs to settle in and not force things. Would love for a better mix of RB's throughout the game but HCPP likes to keep his one guy in. On D if we send multiple guys too many times I have a feeling we'll pay for it this week. The attacking D needs to play smart against this much better passing attack. Our run D is stout so let them bring it IMO.
I have feeling our O will be exposed this week, I'm looking forward to them proving me wrong. Tough fought game but I'm thinking because of our "in progress" O I think this one may get away from us.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
HCPP has a pretty good record against Tom O'Brien. I feel good about the game. That's about all the prediction I like to make, generally. :D

Reaction Score
NC State is 0-4 in New England games. Play the streak.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Hoping the crowd will be raucous. The noon starts on Saturdays always have me nervous that students won't be ready to go at the start. Hopefully the good showing at the opener will carry over to what should be our best OOC game this year.

Reaction Score
First game for me at the Rent this year, so of course we will prevail! My opinion is we saw a lot of wildcat last week because DeLeone didn't want to show too many pass plays for this week. I don't think we'll see as much of the wildcat on Saturday.

I'll say 19-17 Huskies on a Christen FG as time expires.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uconn 20
NCSU 13

No expirmenting with Olinemen playing multiple positions. People play until they're hurt or exhausted. Defense dominates, special teams are a plus for us and the offense does enough (including a really nifty TD play from McCummings out of the wildcat).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
24 - 14 Huskies; D scores late to provide the margin

Reaction Score
Not as concerned as others are about the O. Think there were wrinkles in run game not used v. UMass. Would have liked to see more throws to TEs v. Minute men but figured that was also being saved for later. And no way NC State gets 400 yds Saturday.

Reaction Score
I expect a relatively low scoring game; 17-14 for UConn. Still too early to tell on any teams.

I also predict that I will thoroughly enjoy my single chance to watch a game live this year.

Reaction Score
I think UConn is really going to struggle to move the ball. To win they will need to generate turnovers and outplay NCSU on special teams. I do think they can hold NCSU in check, especially on the ground. It's one of the most interesting games on the schedule this week, there aren't many good ones. At the risk of being bashed as negative, I don't think UConn wins - but I'm content in knowing that who I think is going to win doesn't impact the outcome. I'd say something like 21-10 NCSU.

If this is the case, then UConn will be no better than last season. Not opposed to generating turnovers and outplaying opponents on special teams, but the Huskies are going to have to have an offense that can score to have a succcessful season. Pass the ball, run the ball, gimmick the ball, varying what happens with the ball, but score some frig*** offensive TDs.

Agree with you on "most interesting game" angle (also may be most important). Absolutely have to beat BCS OOC opponents (especially at home), otherwise Big East continues to be a joke of a football conference.

Reaction Score
Our offensive line better play better this week, we have to be able to move the ball consistently. We have to keep the score down to win, so I'll say 20-17 Huskies. Realistically this game can go either way.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Gross.

why? i'm not huge on the wildcat but every time our wr's are open. if we can get mccumings to a level where he can complete 2-4 passes a game then our O will be that much more deadly. i'm willing to see him throw it a couple times in the wc. i just want whitmer for 75% and mc for 25% this game. thats all.

Reaction Score
I still can't get the McCummings overthrow to McCombs v. Iowa State out of my head. It came right after we picked of ISU at their 34. The D' bit hook, line, and sinker on the fake. McCombs was easily 10 yards beyond the deepest ISU defender (I mean everybody came up to stop the run), and McCummings threw the ball about 30 yards when he needed to lob it 20 yards. Wasn't even close. Lyle could have walked into the end zone.

Reaction Score
why? i'm not huge on the wildcat but every time our wr's are open. if we can get mccumings to a level where he can complete 2-4 passes a game then our O will be that much more deadly. i'm willing to see him throw it a couple times in the wc. i just want whitmer for 75% and mc for 25% this game. thats all.

I am just against platooning QBs even for one play as a principle. Seen it done at many schools, but as memory serves, only Brohm/Lefours has succeeded. I don't think it fools anyone and UConn doesn't have the athletes to make it work consistently. FWIW.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I still can't get the McCummings overthrow to McCombs v. Iowa State out of my head. It came right after we picked of ISU at their 34. The D' bit hook, line, and sinker on the fake. McCombs was easily 10 yards beyond the deepest ISU defender (I mean everybody came up to stop the run), and McCummings threw the ball about 30 yards when he needed to lob it 20 yards. Wasn't even close. Lyle could have walked into the end zone.

THIS. HOLY CRAP THIS. :)

Reaction Score
i think this game will be reminiscent of the papajohns.com bowl. everyone's cautious b/c we've been conditioned to be cautious against decent BCS opponents, but i think we're going to have a really nice day and at the end it'll be evident that we're the better team

offensively they're not going to have a successful day on the ground and while they'll probably pull off a big play or two i don't think we'll have any trouble holding them under 20 points, and i think we'll hold them closer to 10-14. I'm really looking forward to how this defense will hold up against a legitimate 1A team. defensively they gave up a lot of big plays last week and they'll either stay back giving Whitmer all the underneath stuff to prevent the big plays, and i think SM will have the opportunity to make a big play if they try to stuff the run too aggressively. i think we'll score over 20. i think we'll win 20-10, 27-14 or something like that.

i wish their last game didn't have such a messy start. it's kind of hard to judge a team when they're playing out of an early hole

Reaction Score
NC State 13- Huskies more than that. Let's get that home field advantage rolling. I think the run game will do better this week.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a close game, low scoring too. Still not sold on the overall offensive production that we are seeing. Our D and ST almost out scored our offense against UMass... That should not have been the case. We are going to need ST and D to play really well to win this game. 14-10 good guys win, and we are on our way to a bowl game!!

pj

Reaction Score
i think this game will be reminiscent of the papajohns.com bowl. everyone's cautious b/c we've been conditioned to be cautious against decent BCS opponents, but i think we're going to have a really nice day and at the end it'll be evident that we're the better team

offensively they're not going to have a successful day on the ground and while they'll probably pull off a big play or two i don't think we'll have any trouble holding them under 20 points, and i think we'll hold them closer to 10-14. I'm really looking forward to how this defense will hold up against a legitimate 1A team. defensively they gave up a lot of big plays last week and they'll either stay back giving Whitmer all the underneath stuff to prevent the big plays, and i think SM will have the opportunity to make a big play if they try to stuff the run too aggressively. i think we'll score over 20. i think we'll win 20-10, 27-14 or something like that.

i wish their last game didn't have such a messy start. it's kind of hard to judge a team when they're playing out of an early hole

I think that is probably how it goes if there are no turnovers. But I think there will be turnovers. If they win the turnover battle the outcome could be quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom