Everybody relax | The Boneyard

Everybody relax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Got home from the game about an hour ago, and I'm seeing posts about Ollie "losing his luster", the team being overrated, etc. Logic and rationality seem to go by the wayside after every loss, but the stupidity is especially pronounced after the first loss, apparently because of delusions of a perfect season and expectations that needed some tempering. I'm not here to tell you everything is sunshine and roses, but let's also not make any asinine declarations on the basis of a bad half that's going to become material for everybody to laugh at in brighter days.

Let me first address the narrative that seems to be gaining the most traction here - the one regarding Kevin Ollie. If you watched the game tonight and came away thinking Ollie was the reason for the loss, I really don't know what to say other than I completely disagree. Stanford showed us a zone in the first half, and UConn carved it up fairly easily, with Boatright and Napier curling into the creases of the zone and collapsing the defense. In the second half, Stanford ran the zone back, but this one contained more aggressive principles, as the Stanford defense seemed determined to hedge emphatically - it was almost a fragmented trap, and the goal seemed to be to force the ball out of Napier's hands at all costs. This isn't an unusual strategy against UConn - N.C. State adopted a variation of the same philosophy last season against us, except it was a more man-to-man-oriented defense. While I was watching the second half, it began to look eerily reminiscent of the Louisville game from the 2011 season (the first game). Essentially, the intention is to cut the head off the snake, and limit the collateral damage the mere presence of a great player causes the opposition. In that game, it was Kemba (Louisville was able to restrict his rim-run opportunities and force UConn to generate secondary offensive design), tonight, it was Shabazz. I had a pretty good view from section 206 - Napier simply destroyed Stanford. His phenomenal court vision was on full display, as he was able to spot shooters from across the floor, squeeze the ball into tight windows, and annihilate them in transition. I think he recorded seven assists in the first half, and he was well on his way to a 15+ assist night if Stanford didn't adjust - give Johnny Dawkins credit.

This is where the chess match began. After Giffey hit a layup in transition to put us ahead 43-30 with a little under 17 minutes to go, UConn went over six minutes without scoring, and many of the possessions featured the same bewilderment and helplessness you would expect from a team encountering its first extended look at the unconventional zone Johnny Dawkins had designed. They must have went six or seven possessions without generating anything that would be considered even an average shot. At the 10:55 TV timeout (Randle put Stanford ahead with two free throws right after, to cap a 14-0 run), UConn's offense began to resemble an adequate D-1 attack. Napier hit a wide open mid-range jumper following the timeout on a nicely designed play from Ollie (I'll get into the specifics tomorrow when I have more time). The following possession was a Napier heat check, as he launched from a couple feet behind the three point line, and missed. After that, Napier fed Brimah on a side pick and roll and Brimah missed blew the dunk (he should have taken a power dribble and gone up strong, he was too far away from the hoop to dunk - he'll learn this with experience). Calhoun put up a wild, ill-advised mid-range jumper the following possession, and a couple possessions later, UConn executed another well-designed play to perfection and got Calhoun a wide open three in the corner, which he missed. For the remaining six minutes, UConn executed against the zone with varying degrees of success - on some possessions they got good shots, on others the execution was cringe-worthy.

The point is this: too many of us fall victim to the make-or-miss nature of the game. I'm not going to sit here and pretend UConn was running some profound, Knight-esque motion offense, but it wasn't nearly as stagnated or abominable as some of you would make it seem. A play that results in a high percentage shot that a player missed isn't a poor reflection on the coach; it's a reflection on the player, and statistical variation. UConn had shot 45% from three entering play - some regression was in order, and unfortunately, it presented itself tonight in the form of a 6 for 22 outing (27%), in which one of the best players in the country missed practically everything he hoisted up in the second half. In the final ten minutes of play, UConn executed well-enough to win. The staples of successful UConn zone offense were evident - high ball screening, penetration to the foul line, drive and dish activity - along with some encouraging east/west movement that led to open shots. So, before you make posts questioning Ollie's basketball intellect, and his ability to successfully counter strategic punches with punches, do your homework. Go back and watch the tape - watch the multiple open looks from three Calhoun, Napier, Kromah, and Boatright all had, and didn't knock down. Watch DeAndre Daniels, Ryan Boatright, and Tyler Olander consistently neglect open shooters in the corner due to tunnel vision tendencies. Before you come at me with this nonsense about how Ollie's not running offense against the zone, please, watch the tape, and don't generalize. I'm not trying to be over-protective of the guy; he obviously has some deficiencies, as all coaches do (especially the younger one's). Let's just try to keep things in perspective a bit and not make any rash judgments after a bad half of basketball.

Back in 2011, Louisville exposed some flaws in our roster. In the aftermath of that game, teams were content to zone us for prolonged periods of time, and some agonizing spurts of offensive ineptitude followed. But, guess what? We were better for it in the end, and I think that's the way it will turn out this season, too. By forcing us to work harder for our points - by eliminating the Napier/Boatright ball screens that resulted in such easy points - I suspect the offense will be better for it in the long haul. Stanford exposed weaknesses in our personnel tonight - most pressingly, they exposed the tendency of Daniels, Boatright, Calhoun, and Kromah to dribble without purpose, and drive without a dual-mindset of shooting and passing. These guys - especially Calhoun and Daniels - are a bit one-dimensional as offensive players. If we want to maximize our ability on the offensive end of the floor, the ball, at some point, was going to have to start moving more crisply, and from side to side in a more efficient, razor-sharp manner. Nothing can doom a half-court attack like over-dribbling and driving into traffic, two flaws that a zone exacerbates. I'm hopeful that, much like our growing pains in 2011, the zone forces us out of our bad habits and the game starts slowing down for some of these guys.

Despite the putrid shooting, inconsistent execution, and overall disappointment, I'm very happy to report that tonight was arguably our best defensive performance of the season. Stanford entered play 23rd in offensive efficiency (not sure on the exact number, but I believe it was in that ballpark), and UConn held them to 35% shooting, and, perhaps more importantly, eleven offensive rebounds. Aside from a few lapses leading to pen threes, it was as flawless a defensive performance as you're going to see against a good offensive team. Dribble containment was excellent, post defense was much improved, there was a collective urgency on the boards, and the layers of help that exist in every great defense were certainly prevalent tonight. If we're going to struggle in one facet of the game at this point in the season, I'd much prefer it be offense rather than defense. Offensive struggles aren't at usual at this point in the season, as significant samples of tape and information become readily available to coaches who spend their entire nights scheming, and tailoring their defensive attack to the opposition's weakness. As history suggests, it's much easier for a strong defensive team to get hot offensively for a few games in March than for a bad defensive team to outscore their demons. With tonight's game, UConn has skyrocketed to 11th in defensive efficiency, which is right about where you want to be if you have any shot at making a run.

In an effort to wrap this thing up before 4 in the morning, I'll have to push the individual player and play evaluations off until tomorrow. But, the more I think about this loss, the less it bothers me. Don't get me wrong: I was as disgusted as the next guy leaving the XL Center tonight, and I'm probably going to have a hard time maintaining my sanity as I begin the long, three and a half day wait for these guys to redeem themselves on Sunday. It's concerning that this team hasn't displayed demonstrable improvements on the offensive side of the floor, given some variation of everybody we're seeing in our rotation, sans Kromah and Brimah, have now played over 40 games together as a five man unit. I just don't think any less of this team after tonight than I did driving to the game. The composition of this team is conducive to a lot of close games, and they've proven over the last year + to be able to win them at a high rate. I'll still go to war against anybody else in the country with this team, and this coach, and feel like I have a good chance to win it at the end with the ball in Napier's hands. I hope at least part of what I just wrote was coherent, and go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Champs. Thank you. I really appreciated your post. How do you feel about the rotation? I badly want to see more Giffey shots. Those can come at Calhoun's expense. I want to see Facey get some minutes in real games. I can't help but think that he can do better than the other bigs, especially rebounding and maybe even on offense.

Reaction Score
That's pretty much where I'm at, as well. In all likelihood, Stanford is an NIT team. They gave up 112 to BYU on their home floor and 88 to Pittsburgh. As I said before the season, UConn has the pieces of an elite offensive team. In a sport that has become increasingly stagnant and dis-oriented on the offensive end of the floor, this UConn team has the offensive weaponry to be far more aesthetically pleasing than they've been at times this season (the BC and Indiana games, for instance). They're a veteran team with one of the best players in the country running the show, an emerging star in Daniels, one of the best shooters in the country in Giffey, a crucial complementary ball-handler/distributor in Boatright, and a bunch of other capable shooters spacing the floor. If they're as good as we think, they should have no trouble hanging 80+ on this Stanford team and winning by double digits.

Reaction Score
Man you should be a reporter (good eyes, communication and memory).

Good insight!

Reaction Score
Champs, about the paragraph on defense, I think Brimah was huge in stopping Stanford. He was in there during the second part of the first half when Stanford went cold. He came back in only toward the end of the game. He took away Stanford's inside game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't agree with the slant of the original post. There was very little passing against the zone so there was very little chance of overcoming the pressure of the zone. The 2nd half featured the fewest decent possessions I've seen a UConn team have. The use of the dribble didn't stop for the entire half and while some of Bazz's 3s are of a type he can make, almost none of them were not under pressure and none were other than him trying to create for himself. Bad zone O. I wouldn't give up on Olllie over one game, but they did not adjust in the second half at all. When shots go in, a team looks good, but missing forced shots is more likely than not. Obviously if OC's last shot was an inch longer, they escape with a W, but 13 points in a half where it wasn't just a bad shooting night, but rather a bad offensive scheme that yielded darn few good possessions was the reality. It didn't have to come down to a last possession or a missed Brimah dunk. Heck. the reason we had a chance at the end was an improbable awesome putback by Daniels. Our D was good enough almost the whole night.

pj

Reaction Score
Great post Champs. Just want to double-like you.

Reaction Score
Excellent post. I've always been a little aggravated by our lack of movement on offense, and the pro-style offense Calhoun ran sometimes had trouble against good zone defenses.

However, we got plenty of open looks last night. But you can't win a basketball game if you can't make a shot. It's not really much more complicated than that.

If Omar and Ryan can start hitting some shots, and Bridah/Nolan mature (I've given up on Olander, sadly), this will be a dangerous team come March.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Great post. I agree we did get open shots but they just were not dropping. I think Bazz tried to take over and just didn't have it. Really disappointed with some of the decisions he made down the stretch, but its not like anyone else was getting it done. A lesson for the whole team.

People also need to remember that Ollie is still in his second year of being a head coach. He is going to make some mistakes, but I expect he will learn and grow from them. It took Calhoun how 20+ years to win a title and we are expecting Ollie to do it in 2.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Crap, missed this post before posting similar thoughts. You the man Champs.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I've posted this same thing like five times, so apologies, but it's amazing what good or bad shooting can do to appearances. We hit some open looks and win by 6 last night and no one is talking about laziness or benching anyone. We miss some open threes in earlier games and no one is complaining about being left off Jay Bilas' national championship contenders list.
Shooting comes and goes. It probably means more in the long run that we held Stanford to 53 points. Even barely adequate shooting in the second half gets us a win, and most nights we'll get that.
None of which is to say last night wasn't god-awful to watch.

Reaction Score
Was @ the game in 206 as well. People are talking about passing etc. , but I found both daniels and boatright abominable on defense. Napier as well. One time napier didn't even contest a corner three, he literally ran by the guy like it was pick up at the YMCA. Napier overall was doing dumb , Ollie tore him a new one. That 2-3 match up zone wasn't even impressive, nobody flashed at the middle and there was no overload. Daniels was so desperate he literally attempted to drive from the top of the key to the middle; pure comedy.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Was @ the game in 206 as well. People are talking about passing etc. , but I found both daniels and boatright abominable on defense. Napier as well. One time napier didn't even contest a corner three, he literally ran by the guy like it was pick up at the YMCA. Napier overall was doing dumb , Ollie tore him a new one. That 2-3 match up zone wasn't even impressive, nobody flashed at the middle and there was no overload. Daniels was so desperate he literally attempted to drive from the top of the key to the middle; pure comedy.
35% for the game, 48% on the season.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good post, Champs, but let's say this one isn't going on KO's coaching highlight reel. We looked dumbfounded for the entire 20 minutes.

I'm not taking too much out of this. If we shoot, say, 23% from the field in the second half, we win pretty easily. We've been killing it from 3. Ironically, Stanford is BAD at defending the 3 (or was -- I bet their stats just improved). Dysfunction happens.

But that was ugly and every person who played or coaches for UConn last night deserves blame for the loss. Very few adjustments. It was a real team effort.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

We gave up 53 points. Our defense was fine. Yes, there were lapses and mistakes; there always are.

Reaction Score
We gave up 53 points. Our defense was fine. Yes, there were lapses and mistakes; there always are.
Those two were playing James harden-like defense on shooters. Them scoring 53 is on THEM. The back breaking plays were jarring, and completely preventable. Giffey was beyond terrific on their 4 ill say.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've posted this same thing like five times, so apologies, but it's amazing what good or bad shooting can do to appearances. We hit some open looks and win by 6 last night and no one is talking about laziness or benching anyone. We miss some open threes in earlier games and no one is complaining about being left off Jay Bilas' national championship contenders list.
Shooting comes and goes. It probably means more in the long run that we held Stanford to 53 points. Even barely adequate shooting in the second half gets us a win, and most nights we'll get that..

The funniest thing about the chat last night is (different) people were calling for Ollie to yank so-and-so. If every player called out was yanked, there would have been no one left on the floor. Jesus people.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The funniest thing about the chat last night is (different) people were calling for Ollie to yank so-and-so. If every player called out was yanked, there would have been no one left on the floor. Jesus people.
Well, see, that's when Tolksdorf comes in and saves the day

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I think there was a bit of inconsistency on our D as a result of our offensive struggles. The fact that we did keep playing on the defensive end was a plus, now that I think about it. It's easy for a team to 'give up' with tough offensive possession after tough offensive possession.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
. Ironically, Stanford is BAD at defending the 3 (or was -- I bet their stats just improved). Dysfunction happens.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/3_point_defense_should_not_be_defined_by_opponents_3p

When someone discusses three-point defense in terms of three-point percentage, they might as well make the leap to discuss free-throw defense in similar terms. Teams have much more control over how many three’s their opponents shoot than how many they make.

With few exceptions, the best measure of three-point defense is a team’s ability to keep the opponents from taking 3’s.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I have 2 rebuttals.

(1) "When someone discusses three-point defense in terms of three-point percentage, they might as well make the leap to discuss free-throw defense in similar terms" is the absolute DUMBEST thing I've read on the internet today. Wow. He makes an obvious point and then undermines it completely.

(2) Stanford, AFTER last night's game is allowing opponents to make an average of 7.2 shots on 20.1 attempts (35%) per game. That's not good, any way you shake it. Meanwhile, overall, they only allow 40% shooting. So clearly they are happy to allow other teams to shoot open 3's. I didn't say they played bad defense, I said they were "bad" against the 3. Which they are.

So, thanks for the link, I guess? It seems kind of like a non sequitur though.

Reaction Score
Champs. Thank you. I really appreciated your post. How do you feel about the rotation? I badly want to see more Giffey shots. Those can come at Calhoun's expense. I want to see Facey get some minutes in real games. I can't help but think that he can do better than the other bigs, especially rebounding and maybe even on offense.

I couldn't agree more in regards to Giffey. The plays we ran last night for Calhoun, need to start being run for Giffey. He's one of the best weapons in the country in terms of three point shooting, and I think we need to do a better job of utilizing him on a more consistent basis - he's proven to be able to hit five threes in a half, and then in the next half you'll forget he's on the court. Of course, he's a focal point of the scouting report now, whereas he wasn't earlier in the season, so we'll have to work a bit harder to get him looks.

In regards to Facey, I'm not sure he has the skill set at the moment to solve many of our problems, but I certainly wouldn't mind him playing a few minutes a game, especially if Olander continues to give us little production.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have 2 rebuttals.

(1) "When someone discusses three-point defense in terms of three-point percentage, they might as well make the leap to discuss free-throw defense in similar terms" is the absolute DUMBEST thing I've read on the internet today. Wow. He makes an obvious point and then undermines it completely.

(2) Stanford, AFTER last night's game is allowing opponents to make an average of 7.2 shots on 20.1 attempts (35%) per game. That's not good, any way you shake it. Meanwhile, overall, they only allow 40% shooting. So clearly they are happy to allow other teams to shoot open 3's. I didn't say they played bad defense, I said they were "bad" against the 3. Which they are.

So, thanks for the link, I guess? It seems kind of like a non sequitur though.

Sorry Nomar I don't think we're on the same page and I'm not really following your challenge to the blog. Kenpom is suggesting that there is no correlation between early season 3p% allowed and late season 3p% allowed which is to suggest that the statistic is not influenced by the opposition. If it was, you would expect that teams who do well against the 3 would continue to do well against the 3 and vice versa.

Pomeroy is saying you shouldn't credit or discredit Stanford with the 3p% of their opponents previously. Isn't that directly on topic?

Reaction Score
Champs, about the paragraph on defense, I think Brimah was huge in stopping Stanford. He was in there during the second part of the first half when Stanford went cold. He came back in only toward the end of the game. He took away Stanford's inside game.

No question, Brimah made a huge impact on the game last night. Matter of fact, I was a little disappointed that Ollie waited so long to put him in the game (I think he finally inserted him into the lineup at around the 10 minute mark in both halves). He's still a liability on the offensive end of the court, but he's far more disruptive defensively than any of our other big men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom