Ever Seen a Play Reviewed, Called on the Field and then Reversed a couple minutes later? | The Boneyard

Ever Seen a Play Reviewed, Called on the Field and then Reversed a couple minutes later?

Reaction Score
Apparently being interviewed briefly between the halves, Mora basically flat out accused the ACC of cheating.

Replay decisions in games with ACC officials are made in ACC HQ in Charlotte. Apparently they decided no targeting, told the refs on the field, and then on their own called the refs back and told them they changed their mind. Absolutely unprecedented.

That’s not why we lost, but it was inexcusable. Not to get the wrong call, but to deliver the call to the on field officials and then decide you changed your mind.

Reaction Score
Apparently being interviewed briefly between the halves, Mora basically flat out accused the ACC of cheating.

Replay decisions in games with ACC officials are made in ACC HQ in Charlotte. Apparently they decided no targeting, told the refs on the field, and then on their own called the refs back and told them they changed their mind. Absolutely unprecedented.

That’s not why we lost, but it was inexcusable. Not to get the wrong call, but to deliver the call to the on field officials and then decide you changed your mind.
He went off on them in his post-game conference too

Reaction Score
And a nice kid who chose to come back for his senior year when he could have been playing on Sundays. Now 1/12th of his senior year is gone
And probably hurting his draft profile too. He hasn’t played like last season and has shown some hot headed tendencies with this BS call (though he did lower his helmet but I didn’t think the finish warranted a targeting call) and flipping the home fans off last week, not a good look. I can feel for him though, this has to be a nightmare compared to what he was expecting.

Reaction Score
Because I haven’t.

If this is the way it will be playing ACC teams, as it was with NC State as well, I hate to say it but maybe revamp schedule in the years to come and not schedule ACC Teams.

No, I’m not joking.
R u saying these are ACC refs? If so we would be better with refs from a Div 3 conference.
On the big screen at the Rent, there is no way our player led with his helmet. He was standing straight up.
I also thought there were several first down calls right in front of us where they called a first down where the ref was placing the ball behind the sticks and then had them move the sticks for a first down.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the better team and outcome was not much in doubt. However, unclear initial targeting call even before the post-review change up. Even Puke ex-work colleagues agreed; 2 even questioned the roughing the passer call, then a later defensive interference/holding/whatever call on UConn’s #5.

Inconveniently, not the first incident of conference-affiliated referee teams screwing UConn. Example: shystery MAC refs last season enabling Ball State pulling a win out of what was headed to a Cardinals’ loss. IIRC, also an ACC-crew calls and 1st down ball placements in this year’s NC State game. Others ???

Without conference-affiliated refs, independent UConn’s not in a strong position signing game contracts and has been shystered at times. Today’s change up, absolutely ¥£€#% aggregious.

Next week, Mountain West refs? AAC refs for Rice and USF? ACC shysters again for bcu, etc.

Anyway, 1st sentence, &@%#£ Dook. Arrrrgh! 77-74

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Did the announcers on the broadcast talk about a reasonable explanation for it, or were they flabbergasted like we all were in the stadium?
The ones on UConn+ were in disbelief that the call was initially made and that they overturned the first review. They mentioned the lack of replay on the stadium screen.

Reaction Score
Because I haven’t.

If this is the way it will be playing ACC teams, as it was with NC State as well, I hate to say it but maybe revamp schedule in the years to come and not schedule ACC Teams.

No, I’m not joking.

Yup. Just find any conference that will take us for football. I’m not joking either. Independence is for the birds.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMG_8309.jpeg

Looks like a textbook tackle form to me…

Reaction Score

-> This is UConn football in 2023, far removed from the encouraging days of 2022 – the team’s best player, linebacker Jackson Mitchell, ejected for targeting the quarterback in the first quarter, a sketchy call that took two reviews from the ACC office.

“If you’re going to kick a man out of a game for that then I must be the stupidest football coach and the most ignorant human being who ever lived,” Mora said.

Of course, Mora didn’t blame the loss on Mitchell’s DQ, but lamented that it was part of life as an independent. “Thank God, we’re an independent,” he said, “so they can’t fine me.” <-

Reaction Score
There should be no "conference affiliated" referees. If there is anything that should be handled centrally by the NCAA, that is it. With all the money the NCAA pulls in it'd be peanuts to pay, train and maintain responsibility for officials.

It wasn't even roughing the passer let alone targeting.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Yup. Just find any conference that will take us for football. I’m not joking either. Independence is for the birds.
I want a home for the team as many may do, but Zoo, what realistic options do we have? AAC would be a spurned lover with the conference less attractive than when UConn left. The big 4 don’t want UConn, full stop. We’d be an anomaly in the MWC & SBC, so that leaves the MAC? We’re wandering the desert until some miracle happens.

Reaction Score

-> “Thank God we're an independent, because they can't fine me,” Mora said. “I don't think I said anything negative. I just spoke the truth. There is a truth. If they can't handle the truth, that's their problem. And it didn't matter to the game, so I don't want to stand up here and make an excuse. Jackson Mitchell not playing didn't make it a 41-7 game. But there's a frustration level. That early in the game, guys are battling, it's so important to them. These are college football players. They get 12 games. And some guy in a freaking room in Charlottesville, or wherever, decides on a whim, ‘Screw Connecticut.’ It's not OK. ‘Screw Jackson Mitchell.’ It's not OK.” <-

-> “I'm 100 percent for player safety. I think at this level it's so important to protect the head, the neck and the spine. But there has to be some reality to it. … You can't have the ACC office in Charlotte calling twice and determining whether or not a guy plays. I've never heard of that. I never have.” <-

Reaction Score

-> “Thank God we're an independent, because they can't fine me,” Mora said. “I don't think I said anything negative. I just spoke the truth. There is a truth. If they can't handle the truth, that's their problem. And it didn't matter to the game, so I don't want to stand up here and make an excuse. Jackson Mitchell not playing didn't make it a 41-7 game. But there's a frustration level. That early in the game, guys are battling, it's so important to them. These are college football players. They get 12 games. And some guy in a freaking room in Charlottesville, or wherever, decides on a whim, ‘Screw Connecticut.’ It's not OK. ‘Screw Jackson Mitchell.’ It's not OK.” <-

-> “I'm 100 percent for player safety. I think at this level it's so important to protect the head, the neck and the spine. But there has to be some reality to it. … You can't have the ACC office in Charlotte calling twice and determining whether or not a guy plays. I've never heard of that. I never have.” <-

This should really get some play nationally but it won't because no one cares about us. It's one of the most egregious things I've ever seen. We can't let ACC refs into the building anymore.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If targeting is gonna be called for plays like this then defenders may as well not even try to touch the qb. Ridiculously soft call.

This angle is very damning. This is a perfect tackle. If he took a lower angle he would have been “launching” any higher and its helmet to helmet. I think he hit his shoulder

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wish we could get a neutral crew for these games against P4 teams. I’d take a Big 10 crew when we play an ACC team, etc.
You think the NCAA cares that much about independent UConn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom