ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I just called and spoke with "Andy". He said he doesn't know because they haven't released the schedule yet. He doesn't expect the schedule to come out untlil just before the season opens.
Pray hard!

I figured they hadn't come out with a complete schedule yet, but I'm still not sure what would prevent them from showing the SNY games regardless. Thanks for doing the legwork and checking.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A good source might be Pat McKenna who handles communications for the women's bb teams. I don't know his email address but I'm sure if someone asks he'll be able to get an answer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe the SNY Uconn contract required a streaming option - that has all gotten a little muddy with the new conference and Uconn not actually owning their own rights, but ...

Reaction Score
UC, your point about SNY Tv content being external was a good one so I ran than angle down also. The SEC network and Longhorn network also provide external content to ESPN3. Right now I can tell you when Texas, Kentucky WCBB games are going to be streamed via ESPN3 but not UCONN SNY tv games. I feel like I am being tortured.

Jeff, you may be underestimating how pathologically (committed) I have been to getting an answer. I did not just stop at customer service. I have been in contact with a few executives at ESPN such as Laura Gentile- Vice President and Founder, espnW and Craig Lazarus, Vice President, Production at ESPN who is from Hartford and a Dukie.
I'm also sure you are incorrect about this time last year and the games being posted later in the season. By end of september of 2014 I was sleeping well because I had A UCONN schedule and knew exactly which games were going to be streamed on ESPN3. The agreement between SNY tv and ESPN was put in place almost 1 year prior Nov 7, 2013 as a result of UCONN being in a new conference. This time last year the only thing I was sweating were 2 or 3 UCONN games that CBS had the broadcast rights to. I ended up having to add CBS sports to my cable because one of the CBS games was the game on Senior Night-I was not going to miss that.

I also wrote to John Altavilla and got this more encouraging response:
Although I do not know this for certain, I have been given no indication that the schedule games on SNY, usually streamed on ESPN3, will be any different.
When I hear for certain I will try to touch base. But I may forget, so remind me.

My backup plan is to go get Sling box and connect it to my daughters cable- she lives in NJ and gets SNYtv as part of her cable package.

I am not going though a season missing 17 UCONN games live-it is 2015 for goodness sakes!

It's interesting when two people remember the same event completely differently. Like you, I depend on internet streaming for UCONN viewing. And with the changes from CPTV to SNY and then Watch ESPN I am always attuned to what the story will be each year. Why I distinctly remember being on pins and needles waiting to see the games listed on Watch ESPN and you remember a completely different scenario I don't know, but after 33 years of marriage I do know that in theses instances it's best to say "I'm probably wrong"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's interesting when two people remember the same event completely differently. Like you, I depend on internet streaming for UCONN viewing. And with the changes from CPTV to SNY and then Watch ESPN I am always attuned to what the story will be each year. Why I distinctly remember being on pins and needles waiting to see the games listed on Watch ESPN and you remember a completely different scenario I don't know, but after 33 years of marriage I do know that in theses instances it's best to say "I'm probably wrong"
Congrats on the 33 years. I have only been repeating that same phrase for 28 years. I sincerely hope you a wrong about me being probably right.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Am I the only one seeing the obvious solution? THE BONEYARD TELEVISION CHANNEL

1) Live broadcast of games

2) Rebroadcast of classic matchups and UConn victories

3) Interviews with current and former players and coaches

4) Original programming on non-game days, to include:

• "The Sky is Falling," hosted by random Boneyard Posters
  • "Positive Reinforcement and Sunny Optimism," hosted by TonyC (and to air right after "The Sky is Falling")
  • "Behind the Scenes: Secret Stories of Dealing with Village Idiots and Inmates Running the Asylum," hosted by JS and HuskyNan
  • "Yiddish 101: Applying Yiddish to Basketball Communication," hosted by Kibitzer
  • "Hot or Not: Assessment of Aesthetics of College Coaches and their Wardrobes," hosted by UCBart
  • "Swintacular: On the Road with Swin Cash," hosted by Matthew Wiggin
  • "Muff(le)-It: Analysis of Quotes from Coaches and Whether they Should Have Kept Quiet," by random Boneyard posters
  • "Deer in Headlights: Side-by-Side Videos of Coaches Playing UConn and Deer Caught in Headlights," by random Boneyard posters

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great idea! For original programming I would add:
  • Grammar 101 hosted by Boneyard grammarians and showing late at night for those who need help falling asleep

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Am I the only one seeing the obvious solution? THE BONEYARD TELEVISION CHANNEL

1) Live broadcast of games

2) Rebroadcast of classic matchups and UConn victories

3) Interviews with current and former players and coaches

4) Original programming on non-game days, to include:

• "The Sky is Falling," hosted by random Boneyard Posters
  • "Positive Reinforcement and Sunny Optimism," hosted by TonyC (and to air right after "The Sky is Falling")
  • "Behind the Scenes: Secret Stories of Dealing with Village Idiots and Inmates Running the Asylum," hosted by JS and HuskyNan
  • "Yiddish 101: Applying Yiddish to Basketball Communication," hosted by Kibitzer
  • "Hot or Not: Assessment of Aesthetics of College Coaches and their Wardrobes," hosted by UCBart
  • "Swintacular: On the Road with Swin Cash," hosted by Matthew Wiggin
  • "Muff(le)-It: Analysis of Quotes from Coaches and Whether they Should Have Kept Quiet," by random Boneyard posters
  • "Deer in Headlights: Side-by-Side Videos of Coaches Playing UConn and Deer Caught in Headlights," by random Boneyard posters
Maybe we could bring in Bria Hartley to host a special on "Player Height Analysis". That could set a Nielsen record.

Reaction Score
All I know is I can't wait for the final solution to manifest itself. Directv offers SNY in its Sports Pack. $13 a month. I talked to customer service yesterday, and I am getting the first three months free. My only obligation is not to cancel during the first month. No way am I cancelling free programming in the first month!

T

TroyHouse66

meyers7-
<<Maybe we could bring in Bria Hartley to host a special on "Player Height Analysis".>>

Oh, there might be some doubts about the wisdom of that...
Being a neophyte broadcaster, can we be sure she'd measure up?

[But, if it got cancelled, Bria certainly wouldn't refuse to return her host salary...
she's a bigger person than that!]

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Would suggest an off beat segment titled "The View-From Under the Bus" hosted by Coach JPM.

c83bcc6e754cb05efe2b003177f72657.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would suggest an off beat segment titled "The View-From Under the Bus" hosted by Coach JPM.
I think you have the wrong host for this - it should be a rotating panel of current and former Duke players! JPM is hosting a program on a competing channel "The Bumps in the Road" previous working title "Who's driving this Bus" theme music 'These Boots were Made for Walking' music over the credits at the end 'Return to Sender' (Lyrics 'No such number, no such zone.'):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think you have the wrong host for this - it should be a rotating panel of current and former Duke players! JPM is hosting a program on a competing channel "The Bumps in the Road" previous working title "Who's driving this Bus" theme music 'These Boots were Made for Walking' music over the credits at the end 'Return to Sender' (Lyrics 'No such number, no such zone.'):rolleyes:
Could we get Rosie O'Donnell maybe to be the panel moderator? I'm sure she'd keep things moving.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller:

I was asked to check on whether ESPN3 would carry streams of the games televised on SNY and I was told by the people at UConn that the setup is the same as last year so some games will be subject to blackout in the SNY coverage area but will be available on an archive basis.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller:

I was asked to check on whether ESPN3 would carry streams of the games televised on SNY and I was told by the people at UConn that the setup is the same as last year so some games will be subject to blackout in the SNY coverage area but will be available on an archive basis.
I hope Coco sees this so he/she can sleep better until the first game

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
All I know is I can't wait for the final solution to manifest itself. Directv offers SNY in its Sports Pack. $13 a month. I talked to customer service yesterday, and I am getting the first three months free. My only obligation is not to cancel during the first month. No way am I cancelling free programming in the first month!
what a bargain...
how is Direct TV, does the weather knock out service often?

Reaction Score
what a bargain...
how is Direct TV, does the weather knock out service often?

The only time the weather is a problem is when there is really really heavy rain or snow. I live in CT and with our weather I would say it happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year but only lasts about an hour or so and then its back.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The only time the weather is a problem is when there is really really heavy rain or snow. I live in CT and with our weather I would say it happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year but only lasts about an hour or so and then its back.
is that with the dish on the roof on in the ground... btw which installation is better (roof or ground)

Reaction Score
According to the reporting from the beat writers, ESPN3 will be streaming games this season, just as they did last year.

Reaction Score
is that with the dish on the roof on in the ground... btw which installation is better (roof or ground)

I only have experience with the dish being on the roof. I think it comes down to what direction the dish is at whether it is on the ground or roof. I have had the same experience with Direct TV as Titletown. I have lost service about 4 times due to weather but only for a short time.

Reaction Score
I only have experience with the dish being on the roof. I think it comes down to what direction the dish is at whether it is on the ground or roof. I have had the same experience with Direct TV as Titletown. I have lost service about 4 times due to weather but only for a short time.

I have found that my lost HD service may not be lost on SD. Hence, the 4 potential interruptions for me have been almost eliminated. (My dish is on the roof)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue is typically water or snow on the actual surface of the dish and not in the atmosphere - the best plan when lightening is not present is to send either you kid or your spouse out with an umbrella to shield the dish surface - that's why you have a family anyway, isn't it! :eek: Used to work great when dealing with the old rabbit ear antennas - they can take a break during the commercials so it isn't all that arduous!:rolleyes: 3.5 hour football games are a little harder, but they will build up stamina with lots of practice!:cool:

Reaction Score
I have found that my lost HD service may not be lost on SD. Hence, the 4 potential interruptions for me have been almost eliminated. (My dish is on the roof)

Yeah, I realized that as well, and I think the reason is because the HD satellites use a different transponder which happens to be a narrower band compared to the SD transponder. Therefore the storm might cover the entire HD signal but only part of the SD signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom