ESPN: Ranking the top 10 players in Stanford history | The Boneyard

ESPN: Ranking the top 10 players in Stanford history

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not that I'm arguing it, but that's pretty tough company if Chiney is #5. Wow!

Not surprisingly it's almost all players from the 2 Championships in '90 and '92, or from the run of 6 Final 4's in 7 years.

edit--I should specify on that second part I' m referring to '08-'14. Didn't realize they had 6 FFs in 8 years from '90-'97.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
British Basketball Sport GIF by London Lions
British Basketball Dance GIF by London Lions

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's a lot of good players that didn't crack the Top 10. Looks like you pretty much had to be a big contributor for 4 years to make it. I liked Karlie a lot as a player, I'm not sure if she'd even be in the next 10 though.

Reaction Score
Article says this list is based upon their pro careers and how they impacted the sport in other ways. My daughter will be happy to see her favorite player as #6.

When VanDerveer passed Summitt for the all-time victories lead among women's basketball coaches in 2020, we ranked VanDerveer's top 10 players based solely on their Stanford careers. Now, we broaden that criteria to include their professional playing careers and other ways they impact the sport. Here are the 10 greatest players to play for VanDerveer at Stanford.

Reaction Score
Article says this list is based upon their pro careers and how they impacted the sport in other ways. My daughter will be happy to see her favorite player as #6.

When VanDerveer passed Summitt for the all-time victories lead among women's basketball coaches in 2020, we ranked VanDerveer's top 10 players based solely on their Stanford careers. Now, we broaden that criteria to include their professional playing careers and other ways they impact the sport. Here are the 10 greatest players to play for VanDerveer at Stanford.

the other list you referred to

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Basically the same list, mixed up a little. Add Brink, drop Henning. Stir.

I'm not really making fun of it. That is one impressive list of players.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Surprised to see no mention of Haley Jones. Jeannette Pohlen is another one who could be added in, she was brilliant her senior season. Also will throw out the names Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl, both were staples on their great teams in the mid/late 90s. Alanna Smith too. A lot of great players have gone through Tara's program.

Reaction Score
To quote Charli Turner Thorne during the UCLA/Colorado game tonight, "how do you pick the ten best"??

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Surprised to see no mention of Haley Jones. Jeannette Pohlen is another one who could be added in, she was brilliant her senior season. Also will throw out the names Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl, both were staples on their great teams in the mid/late 90s. Alanna Smith too. A lot of great players have gone through Tara's program.
A second 10 would be really interesting. Some more possibilities I'll add, Brooke Smith, Brittany McPhee, Erica McCall, Kiana Williams. Recency bias for me, but I don't know their teams from the 90s very well. Lindsey Yamasaki?

Jones is a tough one to place. If she'd continued her trajectory from her Soph year she'd be well up the list. Problem is she didn't even plateau, she went backwards from there. She really doesn't measure up to the all time greats, despite leading them back to a Championship after a LONG drought.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A second 10 would be really interesting. Some more possibilities I'll add, Brooke Smith, Brittany McPhee, Erica McCall, Kiana Williams. Recency bias for me, but I don't know their teams from the 90s very well. Lindsey Yamasaki?

Jones is a tough one to place. If she'd continued her trajectory from her Soph year she'd be well up the list. Problem is she didn't even plateau, she went backwards from there. She really doesn't measure up to the all time greats, despite leading them back to a Championship after a LONG drought.
I probably would've put her on over Kayla Pederson. Pederson had somewhat of a similar trajectory but was never the star of a team, where Jones was, and Jones got them to a title. Somewhat nitpicking but Jones is right on the cusp of top 10 IMO.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Kayla Pederson on the list. In my opinion, Kayla is the “glue” player that got Stanford to four Final Fours in a row 2008-2011.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I probably would've put her on over Kayla Pederson. Pederson had somewhat of a similar trajectory but was never the star of a team, where Jones was, and Jones got them to a title. Somewhat nitpicking but Jones is right on the cusp of top 10 IMO.
I actually disagree. Pedersen had the ‘it’ that was missing from previous Stanford teams. Prior to her coming onto The Farm, Stanford had the reputation of being the Nice Girls… ie soft and not tough. That instantly changed with Pedersen. She wasn’t a dirty player, she wasn’t overtly physical. However what she brought was a mental toughness that was fun to watch. She was tough in the paint and didn’t back down from anyone. That toughness was lacking and that’s what she brought to Stanford all four years.

Jones was a fantastic player and without her we would not have won a third title… but if we are talking about building a team, I would choose Pedersen over Jones because as someone mentioned earlier, she is a glue player.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid top ten list. It is always tough picking ten because somebody is going to get overlooked.

Reaction Score

I always felt the criticism of Jones has been unfair. What she had her sophomore year was a dynamic guard in Kiana Williams who could run the point, allowing for Jones to play other roles. Her last two years she was very much a point forward which took away from other parts of her game. Haley was very much a victim of recruiting misses.

Reaction Score
I always felt the criticism of Jones has been unfair. What she had her sophomore year was a dynamic guard in Kiana Williams who could run the point, allowing for Jones to play other roles. Her last two years she was very much a point forward which took away from other parts of her game. Haley was very much a victim of recruiting misses.
X_____ to all of this!

The lack of a true point guard also plagued Nicole Powell for most of her Stanford career, however she was more adept at handling the point forward role better than Haley imo.

If Susan King hadn’t torn her acl multiple times, I believe she would’ve helped Powell reach at least one final four.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

I'd like to put forward a qualified defense of Jones unrelated to the lack of a true PG at Stanford her Junior and Senior year.

As most of you know, our national championship season was peak COVID (2020-2021), during which time the Stanford WBB couldn't practice or play in Santa Clara county, which meant that for several months they had to live out in Santa Cruz, play their "home" games in a high school gym, and undergo extraordinarily arduous testing and social distancing. There's a great story about the mental health price the team paid for that win. (To say nothing of everything else the country was going through from the summer of 2020 to the summer of 2021...)

Then, just before the post-season of Jones's junior year, the Stanford WSOC goalie Katie Meyer committed suicide, and it's arguable that aspects of the Stanford administration's policy choices were contributing factors, including a lot of "post-COVID" restrictions on socializing that had almost no basis in public health. Meyer was really close to the WBB team, including Jones.

Her senior year, Jones lived off campus and was pursuing a lot of NIL deals, starting her own podcast, and getting ready for the W. I obviously don't know her personally, but I've just gotten the sense that Jones was ready to move on from this chapter in her life and get past some of the adversity of that period. Jones is a class act, and I doubt she'd ever say anything publicly, but this quote from the NYT profile on Tara really stood out to me:

Know that if your senior leaders are unhappy, your whole team will be.
Tara could of course be referring to other prior years. But given that the coaches went out of their way to exclaim in the pre-season how happy the team was and how much they were all enjoying themselves -- in contrast to the very obvious lack of gelling our team experienced down the stretch last season -- I can't help but think there was more going on behind the scenes than we were aware of as fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom