ESPN Plans for Selection Monday | The Boneyard

ESPN Plans for Selection Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Disappointed that they won't be coming live to UConn as they wait to see where they're going.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting, didn't realize they actually planned things. :confused:

Reaction Score
Here's how clueless I am: I had no idea there was a TV show called "Nashville," nor had I ever heard of the stars of it!

Cool that they are doing a live look-in at Fordham. I'll get to see Wethersfield's Abigail Corning, who led Wethersfield HS to the state championship game 4 years ago.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thanks. Disappointed that they won't be coming live to UConn as they wait to see where they're going.

Wonder if they asked and UConn says, eh, no thanks ... we don't care about that stuff.

Reaction Score
Wonder if they asked and UConn says, eh, no thanks ... we don't care about that stuff.
Doubt that. Geno and his program love the spotlight and any media coverage they can get. The media coverage of this program is one of the biggest differences between UConn and everyone else.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If any of you follow country music. Then you know it's a big part of Nashville.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So I've heard.

There's a bunch of good music coming out of Nashville also.

Reaction Score
Nah. Nobody in CT follows country music. As a songwriter, I once wrote a C&W tune but it went nowhere in the Northeast. Perhaps you've heard it in Kville? "If she wasn't so good lookin', I might have seen the train."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Good exposure for Baylor. Kim has a tendency to really dress down for these types of events. I hope she at leat puts on some makeup this year.

Maybe Trace Adkins will make an appearance in honor of the "Nashville" theme since he and Mulkey are friends.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Nah. Nobody in CT follows country music. As a songwriter, I once wrote a C&W tune but it went nowhere in the Northeast. Perhaps you've heard it in Kville? "If she wasn't so good lookin', I might have seen the train."
I don't think I've hear that song.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Doubt that. Geno and his program love the spotlight and any media coverage they can get. The media coverage of this program is one of the biggest differences between UConn and everyone else.

Agreed. Nobody loves the camera more than Geno...and the camera loves him. And he comes across as very funny so it can only be a plus for UCONN if he is part of the show.

Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
Agreed. Nobody loves the camera more than Geno...and the camera loves him. And he comes across as very funny so it can only be a plus for UCONN if he is part of the show.

Not everyone finds Geno funny. There is a certain fan base that finds him down right obnoxious.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, he hates the spotlight and he has never sought media attention. I don't know where you got the idea he loves it. Do a Google search on the topic and you'll see myriad interviews with Geno bemoaning the loss of privacy.

I still can't believe he does The Geno Show. I think it started as a favor to CPTV, maybe it was part of the contract with SNY.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, he hates the spotlight and he has never sought media attention. I don't know where you got the idea he loves it. Do a Google search on the topic and you'll see myriad interviews with Geno bemoaning the loss of privacy.

I still can't believe he does The Geno Show. I think it started as a favor to CPTV, maybe it was part of the contract with SNY.

I've never seen an interview that he didn't seem to enjoy. I'm not criticizing, just saying the he seems to enjoy the opportunity to talk about UCONN and the women's game. He's very witty so maybe it seems like he is enjoying himself even if he is not.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Here's how clueless I am: I had no idea there was a TV show called "Nashville," nor had I ever heard of the stars of it!.

Friday Night Lights. Watch it. It's very good to excellent and you don't need to like football to like the show. Also, the first season of Heroes, maybe watch that if you like superheroing.

Reaction Score
Lol right up there with "She's actin' single (I'm drinkin' doubles)"!

Reaction Score
Has ESPN ever followed UConn on their selection show? I can remember in the past thinking that it was curious that I never saw them broadcasting from Storrs (either men or women).

Jim

Reaction Score
Has ESPN ever followed UConn on their selection show? I can remember in the past thinking that it was curious that I never saw them broadcasting from Storrs (either men or women).
They did one a few years ago. At other schools there was the excitement of "did we get in or not". At UCONN it was very subdued. They knew they would be the #1 seed. So when the brackets were announced it was like "OK, time to go to work."

Reaction Score
They did one a few years ago. At other schools there was the excitement of "did we get in or not". At UCONN it was very subdued. They knew they would be the #1 seed. So when the brackets were announced it was like "OK, time to go to work."
Sounds like great TV. /sarcasm

No wonder we never got invited back.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Lol right up there with "She's actin' single (I'm drinkin' doubles)"!

I love that fat, fat girl of mine.
She keeps me warm in the winter
And shady in the summertime.

Reaction Score

Actually BRS24 is probably right – do you really think that in all the years since UConn’s ascendency that no one down the road at ESPN has ever thought of including them in the selection show? They’re not all that obscure, after all. As Jim said, they’re probably one of the less interesting teams – there’s usually little doubt about where they’re going or how they’ll be seeded; but still, if they have only been on the selection show once, it’s pretty unlikely that it’s because they’ve only been asked once.

There seems to be a pretty clear line on where Geno and Chris allow access to the team and where they don’t. Certainly there are interviews and press conferences, but things that have been in the past normally considered “private” team matters are generally kept that way; for example, with the exception of some SNY Geno shows this year I cannot remember ever seeing a pregame or halftime locker room speech. There’s been an occasional shot of the team in the locker room after a game, but if Geno ever gives the “win one for the Gipper” speech, we won’t hear it.

On the other hand, we may not want to hear what he says at some of the halftimes…

This is a program that bans tweeting by the players. Despite the adage, not all publicity is good publicity, and this program is probably more aware of it than any other.

Of course, more than any other program, they can afford to be selective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom