ESPN Insiders | The Boneyard

ESPN Insiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can anybody with an espn insider access go onto recruiting nation for boys high school basketball. The main story is about UConn. They say how it's about how UConn has tons of adversity but July will be a big month to see how UConn does on the recruiting trail. Can you possibly copy and paste the story on here or just give me a summary of what it says. I would love any help please!

Reaction Score
Based on the usual level of "inside information" that comes with an ESPN Insider subscription, I'm going to guess that the article recycles Calhoun's quote from last week when he talked about how we're going to have lots of visitors this summer and it's a very important recruiting period for the future of this program.

Reaction Score
just that July is always important for his evaluations and we need to work hard and Calhoun has always done that. The interesting thing from the article revolved around the potential of redefining Blaney's job so that we can get Hobbs out on the road as a third assistant.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just that July is always important for his evaluations and we need to work hard and Calhoun has always done that. The interesting thing from the article revolved around the potential of redefining Blaney's job so that we can get Hobbs out on the road as a third assistant.

for the past almost 12 months, hobbs has been on the road alot. but i would say that i havn't heard anything west of nyc. he has been working kids out in gyms all over the area. he does a good job with the local kids on our radar. hes done workout with the kids at trinity(boswell, pascal who is now going prep). the sf at ridgefield, dukes in hartford, the st joes kids in tbull/bpt among many others. the kids like hobbs for some reason and hes a great 1-2 punch with KO from what i see/hear.

Reaction Score
(Don't cut and paste copyrighted material. Nitwit.)

Reaction Score
Amazing how 2 years ago we were Nat'l Champs and all this crap ...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(Don't cut and paste copyrighted material. Nitwit.)

But it certainly would be a "fair use" to cut the squib about Hobbs. Just saying.

Is Hobbsy slated to be KO's Blaney?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
But it certainly would be a "fair use" to cut the squib about Hobbs. Just saying.

Is Hobbsy slated to be KO's Blaney?
That's how I'm reading it.

Reaction Score
I was just reading the article and this part from Adam Finkelstein caught my eye.

New England has always been Jim Calhoun's ace in the hole when it comes to recruiting. While his career has seen him build other pipelines into New York, Maryland, Wisconsin, California, and even overseas to Germany and Israel, his home base of New England has always provided an inroad to talented players when other markets seemed too difficult to penetrate.

A Massachusetts native who still speaks with a Boston accent, Calhoun has built Connecticut's flagship state university into a national basketball power. He has a history of tapping into the region's best local talent extending all the way back to his days as the head coach at Northeastern, when he landed a commitment from Boston native and future NBA All-Star Reggie Lewis.

First off, if I'm not mistaken Reggie Lewis was from Baltimore.

Before the recent additions of Oriakhi, Coombs-McDaniel, Napier and Olander how many New England natives made a relatively decent impact at UConn? Rashamel Jones, Craig Austrie, Doug Wiggins, Scott Hazelton and Steve Pikiell? And none made a huge impact. Tony Robertson was probably the best New Englander at UConn that Calhoun recruited unless you include Kevin Freeman who was originally from Springfield, MA but played high school ball in New Jersey. I think Finkelstein was really reaching with this one.

Reaction Score
I was just reading the article and this part from Adam Finkelstein caught my eye.

New England has always been Jim Calhoun's ace in the hole when it comes to recruiting. While his career has seen him build other pipelines into New York, Maryland, Wisconsin, California, and even overseas to Germany and Israel, his home base of New England has always provided an inroad to talented players when other markets seemed too difficult to penetrate.

A Massachusetts native who still speaks with a Boston accent, Calhoun has built Connecticut's flagship state university into a national basketball power. He has a history of tapping into the region's best local talent extending all the way back to his days as the head coach at Northeastern, when he landed a commitment from Boston native and future NBA All-Star Reggie Lewis.

Before the recent additions of Oriakhi, Coombs-McDaniel, Napier and Olander how many New England natives made a relatively decent impact at UConn? Rashamel Jones, Craig Austrie, Doug Wiggins, Scott Hazelton and Steve Pikiell? And none made a huge impact. Tony Robertson was probably the best New Englander at UConn that Calhoun recruited unless you include Kevin Freeman who was originally from Springfield, MA but played high school ball in New Jersey. I think Finkelstein was really reaching with this one.

You're right, Lewis was from Baltimore, and I agree that Calhoun recruits wherever there is talent, not just New England. I haven't read the article but it seems that the writer doesn't want the facts to get in the way of a good story!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Scottie Burrell?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

In addition to Burrell, already mentioned, Chris Smith was very important early on. Some refer to him as the most important recruit we ever got. Then there is Saunders, an important part of a championship team. I also think people sell Austrie far short. In 2006 our talented squad was involved in three tournaments. The only one it won featured Austrie as the starting point guard. Also, two years later our best stretch of basketball came while Austrie was in the starting lineup, and he was in the tournament lineup that got us to the Final Four in 2009. I say that's a significant impact. You could define "huge impact" to only encompass a narrow swath of stars but I'm not sure that's fair to do. Maybe he couldn't make the plays of some, but neither did he make the mistakes.

And it's not like New England is THE place to pick up blue-chippers. Calhoun has done alright in New England.

Reaction Score
How did I forget Burrell and Smith?!

I guess when you add those 2 it sounds a little better but take all these guys over 26 years and compare them to all the high impact guys at UConn and I'd still say Finkelstein is off base with those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom