ESPN: Geno blasts Mark Cuban | The Boneyard

ESPN: Geno blasts Mark Cuban

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I happen to totally agree with him but get ready for the PC blow back....

LINK

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Simply a gimmick. And it's working fabulously. Publicity, publicity. But Geno did make reference to Cuban being a good businessman.

Geno just helped him along by responding at all. But the media is far worse by playing along with Cuban. They're just acting as a PR agent by going with this "story." Gotta fill air time, though.

Ironically, Cuban never said anything approaching that he believes Griner is good enough to even compete. Only that he's open-minded enough to give her a chance. (It does, after all, put him in the spotlight for a cycle.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with paco. The thing about that is Cuban backtracked a bit and said she'd have to go thru workouts and that he'd "consider" her. And he'll say or do almost anything for a little publicity.

Let's be honest - She's a pure post player in college and a solid free throw shooter. But at 6'8" in the NBA, she'd be a wing. Kevin Durant is a wing. Lebron is a wing. Carmelo is a wing. Griner would not only get destroyed, she'd probably get broken (as in bones, etc).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
the guys on the video clip agree that she could not make it in the NBA - could not keep up with the athleticism of the game - plus, 6'8" they have guards that are that big

Reaction Score
Edd or even Stewart would stand abetter chance against men since they could play on the perimeter. Not in the nba tho. Griner has no chance.

Reaction Score
Griner would not even make a Div 1 men's team as a sub, so from there to the NBA is quite a leap. All publicity for the state of Texas.

Reaction Score
If you had a woman who had 1) the height of Griner, 2) the skills of EDD, and 3) a lot more strength and athleticism than either, you'd have an NBA capable woman. I'm not holding my breath for one of these to come down the pipeline. ;)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
You'd need a combo of Griner, EDD, and Shonni....that tough edge is essential too. Griner would be dead meat after a couple trips up the floor...

Reaction Score
I like Mark Cuban but sometimes he comes up with the dumbest stuff. He is like Donald Trump... he is an attention whore. I guess he got his little fix for a few weeks.

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

Reaction Score
I happen to totally agree with him but get ready for the PC blow back....

LINK
Geno has the best interests at heart for women's basketball and the cahonee's to come out and speak the truth. Griner making that attempt would be a real mistake and not at all in the best interests of women's basketball. All this would do is validate the negative opinion of those that don't appreciate what makes the women's game special. To them the value of basketball has become centered upon purely on showtime theatrics. Griner can not compete with or display those aspects of the game and will end up looking really bad trying. It will validate from their perspective that women's basketball is a vastly inferior game. It will set back the cause of the general public's acceptance of women's basketball as a worthwhile viewing option.

Reaction Score
Good with GENO speaking out I would think we all thought the same thing
when we heard Cuban the other day
Griner fed into it when she responded
Was it Ann MEYER many years ago who did it
GO HUSKIES
IRA

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is 6'8' and weighs 178, less than Steve Nash. She does not dribble as well as any NBA player. She doesn't like the physical game in women's college ball. She would be broken like a dry twig in the first quarter.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has the best interests at heart for women's basketball and the cahonee's to come out and speak the truth. Griner making that attempt would be a real mistake and not at all in the best interests of women's basketball. All this would do is validate the negative opinion of those that don't appreciate what makes the women's game special. To them the value of basketball has become centered upon purely on showtime theatrics. Griner can not compete with or display those aspects of the game and will end up looking really bad trying. It will validate from their perspective that women's basketball is a vastly inferior game. It will set back the cause of the general public's acceptance of women's basketball as a worthwhile viewing option.
There are people that feel that unless women's basketball is like men's basketball, it's either not a good sport or it's not a "real" sport. I've said for years that men's & women's basketball is like baseball & softball - very similar games with similar rules but essentially different. Neither is better than the other; just different.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I guess Geno won't be getting any coaching offers from the Mavs. :)

Griner's "I would hold my own" response is laughable. The only thing she would end up holding is her lunch after somebody handed it to her.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I guess Geno won't be getting any coaching offers from the Mavs. :)

Griner's "I would hold my own" response is laughable. The only thing she would end up holding is her lunch after somebody handed it to her.

I'm sure she was being ironic/playing along with the absurdity. AKA, laughable. She knows she wouldn't 'hold her own.' But as a good sport, why not go along the the levity? Guess she doesn't yet know that is dangerous because as a public figure stuff she does/says can be interpreted in strange ways.

I'm puzzled that anyone, here or anywhere, feels the need to argue that she couldn't compete in NBA. It's like bothering to argue that 2+2 does not equal 17. Or that Dorothy Hamill wouldn't do well as a Sumo wrestler.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I trust she is kidding.

I am sure that the Phoenix Mercury would just love to see Griner head to the NBA developmental league for games during the season....missing Mercury games....or on her off-days.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Quote in USA Today from Nancy Lieberman:

"There's not a man who would sell his soul and let her come down and dunk on him. They are going to knock her on her ass."

Reaction Score
Two words: Signing Bonus.
or 3 year guarantee at league minimum.
She'd never have to go to Europe and (probably) never have to play a game - after the first one.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm sure she was being ironic/playing along with the absurdity. AKA, laughable. She knows she wouldn't 'hold her own.' But as a good sport, why not go along the the levity? Guess she doesn't yet know that is dangerous because as a public figure stuff she does/says can be interpreted in strange ways.

I'm puzzled that anyone, here or anywhere, feels the need to argue that she couldn't compete in NBA. It's like bothering to argue that 2+2 does not equal 17. Or that Dorothy Hamill wouldn't do well as a Sumo wrestler.

Paco - Just like here on the BY, you have to take public statements like that at their face value. She should have hung one of those "I'm kidding" smiley faces after her comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom