ESPN article on Aaliyah's injury

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"An elbow to the nose"... nothing intentional, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the announcers said "all the refs are being evaluated and hoping to be selected for the NCAA tournament." or something like that.

Hopefully NONE of those refs are selected. Shameful the PC player wasn't ejected. And shame on the refs for allowing it to get that bad in the first place. About 4 PC players should have fouled out.

And by the way, it wasn't "inadvertent or incidental contact". It was a swinging arm smack right to her face. Yeah, I'm fired up over it. Glad Nika, and the rest of the team was too. They channeled it very well - didn't let their emotions get out of control. Good for them!!!

Reaction Score
If her nose is broken usual protocol, from my understanding, is no contact sports for 2 weeks. Then play with a mask.

Reaction Score
If her nose is broken usual protocol, from my understanding, is no contact sports for 2 weeks. Then play with a mask.
... plus there was a pool of blood left on the court when they picked her up as much as a small Apple Keyboard, she must have had an interesting overnight with her nose stuffed with cotton doubt if she slept that well

Reaction Score
One of the announcers said "all the refs are being evaluated and hoping to be selected for the NCAA tournament." or something like that.

Hopefully NONE of those refs are selected. Shameful the PC player wasn't ejected. And shame on the refs for allowing it to get that bad in the first place. About 4 PC players should have fouled out.

And by the way, it wasn't "inadvertent or incidental contact". It was a swinging arm smack right to her face. Yeah, I'm fired up over it. Glad Nika, and the rest of the team was too. They channeled it very well - didn't let their emotions get out of control. Good for them!!!
Basketball is getting too rough, even in hockey that player would be out of the game for that hit. She played the whole game with the intent to bang with no regard to injuring Huskies, we are lucky KK could shake it off. There has to be consequences beyond penalties. NCAAW has to protect our women. JMHO

Nev

Reaction Score

I agree with you. It was no elbow but a whack to the face. Whether it was open hand or not, should have been ejected.

Reaction Score
... plus there was a pool of blood left on the court when they picked her up as much as a small Apple Keyboard, she must have had an interesting overnight with her nose stuffed with cotton doubt if she slept that well
The cotton placed in Aaliyah’s (or any other player’s nose), is some sort of local hemostatic product. It comes in various forms, has various names (Quick clot, nosebleed plugs, etc.), and has the necessary clotting factors to stop bleeding quickly.
I am wishing Aaliyah well, and a speedy recovery!!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Sadly UCONN Has TO play rough when needed !!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Idk about that because in the NBA there have been several players who broke their noses and played a few days, not weeks, later. I would imagine there is not a separate protocal for pros versus college athletes.

Reaction Score
Idk about that because in the NBA there have been several players who broke their noses and played a few days, not weeks, later. I would imagine there is not a separate protocal for pros versus college athletes.
I realize baseball is not basketball, but Cal Ripken broke his nose (during his record playing streak) in a freak accident during a photo session the day before the 1996 All-Star Game, and played in the game the next day, and continued his streak for 2-1/2 more seasons.

Reaction Score
Who motivated this player to injurer, 'ALL American Aliyah' in the game? Everything is so quiet. Now we will see three or more opposing players surrounding Paige, just as N.D. did. They have little fear of the shooting ability of our remaining players!
That’s why these players have to step up big-time today.

Reaction Score
Either way, the likelihood of Aaliyah playing today was low. Even with a mask, not sure how she would be able to play a day after taking a shot like that.

Reaction Score

That would only be an extreme cases. I know lots of players who have returned two or three days after breaking their nose.

Reaction Score
I realize baseball is not basketball, but Cal Ripken broke his nose (during his record playing streak) in a freak accident during a photo session the day before the 1996 All-Star Game, and played in the game the next day, and continued his streak for 2-1/2 more seasons.
And probably signed a waiver to do so as the grown man he was. AE is the responsibility of the school. I do see now that Geno has said it's "way way broken" but he feels that she'll play when she feels comfortable. But it's still a different situation.

Reaction Score
That would only be an extreme cases. I know lots of players who have returned two or three days after breaking their nose.
OK. Thank you. It took me two weeks to go back to contact sports lol But what do I know?

Reaction Score
OK. Thank you. It took me two weeks to go back to contact sports lol But what do I know?
They will have about two weeks off from the date of injury so she should be good to go by then. The only caveat would be if she has other issues around the nose that the mask won't fully protect. I really don't see any reason to play today though. Win or lose I think UConn will be pretty much where they are right now.

Reaction Score
They will have about two weeks off from the date of injury so she should be good to go by then. The only caveat would be if she has other issues around the nose that the mask won't fully protect. I really don't see any reason to play today though. Win or lose I think UConn will be pretty much where they are right now.
Believe there was an update where Coach Auriemma confirmed she wasn't playing tonight but the NCAA was very likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom