ESPN Article - Key to UConn's consistency is in the details | The Boneyard

ESPN Article - Key to UConn's consistency is in the details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...-favorite-set-fourth-consecutive-championship

That's not just because UConn gets talent, but that the talent that goes to Storrs is always very carefully selected. Auriemma isn't interested in recruits who make self-aggrandized pronouncements such as, "I'm definitely a 2 guard," or "I'm not really a 3-point shooter" or "I don't do well in that style of play."

Instead, he wants those who say simply, "I'm a basketball player, here to learn. And I expect to get my butt kicked early and often in practice, no matter my lofty prep pedigree."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"and his assistants, including his three-decade sidekick, Chris Dailey" Voepel, get it straight!!! She ain't not assistant. Bums me every time someone gives CD no respect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"and his assistants, including his three-decade sidekick, Chris Dailey" Voepel, get it straight!!! She ain't not assistant. Bums me every time someone gives CD no respect.
Agree, though I think it is less disrespect than a default to common verbiage.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Idk if you've noticed but Voepel has fallen off lately. Not as crisp as she use to be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Idk if you've noticed but Voepel has fallen off lately. Not as crisp as she use to be.

For me she has always been up and down. Some of the best, then not so much. But so are all of us if we care to admit it. Sloppy mistake for her, or a word count editor did her in.

Reaction Score
In the article there is a picture of her, and her title is correctly shown as associate head coach. I think the usage here is correct as it refers collectively to his assistants of which CD is a part.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
"To have a class come in as freshmen and win a championship every year, that's a dream come true. For Stewie, Moriah and Tuck, if that were to ever come true for them, it would be one the most remarkable things ever in college basketball."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the article there is a picture of her, and her title is correctly shown as associate head coach. I think the usage here is correct as it refers collectively to his assistants of which CD is a part.
I tend to agree. It's a bit nit picking - I think the article is basically terrific. Some great quotes I've not seen before, and i loved this part of the article:

Auriemma isn't interested in recruits who make self-aggrandized pronouncements such as, "I'm definitely a 2 guard," or "I'm not really a 3-point shooter" or "I don't do well in that style of play." Instead, he wants those who say simply, "I'm a basketball player, here to learn. And I expect to get my butt kicked early and often in practice, no matter my lofty prep pedigree."

I'm not sure if that's a reason he seems to have backed off so many other top kids (and sometimes they back off of UCONN)... But I thought that was interesting and insightful as to how UCONN goes about its' recruiting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought it was a pretty hackneyed puff piece she phoned in myself, but maybe I'm just a tad touchy because the propane gas detector in one of our rooms decided to malfunction at 3:30 AM. Was I that hacked off about the Associate Head Coach thing. No. But things seemed a little too quiet around here. I guess the rest of you were packing your picnic baskets and such for the game though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom