ESPN analysis of the MSU game | The Boneyard

ESPN analysis of the MSU game

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yea its BS. The Dana Oneil blog is similar, only it allows the possibility we win but only because MSU is distracted by their long plane ride and entertaining the troops before the game.

We're still UConn. Is it 5:30 yet?

caw

Reaction Score
Is it absurd to anyone else that they say none of Wolf, Olander, Daniels, Giffey drew 3+ fouls last year and only put up 8 PPG on post ups? They are using this as an example of why UConn's bigs can't get MSU's in foul trouble.

I would have been amazed if Wolf drew 3 fouls per game in his 4 total minutes last year. Or if Giffey/Daniels in their 12 per game from the 3 spot, lots of post up attempts at the 3 in college (sarcasm). Olander is the only decent example, but he only got 17 minutes of run per game and usually played the high post with Drummond/Oriakhi down low.

I'm not saying it's not a legitimate concern, but it's an absurd set of statistics to use.

Reaction Score
So tired of hearing about Michigan State's down-low advantage. Unless I missed the point this offseason when Derrick Nix became Jared Sullinger, he's a pretty average basketball player. If Sparty's biggest advantage tonight is having his 270 lbs. to throw around, I like our chances.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read on the Yard that the MSU big guys sucked. I'm going with that until I see otherwise.

caw

Reaction Score
I read on the Yard that the MSU big guys sucked. I'm going with that until I see otherwise.

Nix is talented but unless he has lost weight, he can only play limited minutes. The other two are a concern, Payne is a jumping bean and Dawson is an ox.

I wouldn't give them an advantage over any of the past 10 UConn frontcourts (possibly excluding 07 due to age), but this year is not a typical UConn frontcourt. They have an advantage, and a big one. I just think ESPN used a silly choice of stats to show it. If Izzo doesn't pound it into the low post the first 10 possessions I will be shocked.

UConn needs to rebound with all five guys and help and recover quickly from the guard position on the post-ups. Trice and Harris are (or are supposed to be) good from 3. Appling wasn't last year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why is everyone taking offense to this? We suck down low..

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why is everyone taking offense to this? We suck down low..
On paper UConn's frontcourt is at best unknown and at worst a liability. This will be a decent test to determine things. The one factor that mitigates the amount of understanding I can get from this game is the arena. It isn't a shooters arena and that could impact UConn more than MS.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a stretch to suggest the possibility that our backcourt is a strength that might negate some of our front court issues. The options shouldn't be limited to MSU wins or they lost due to travel etc.

U

UCONNfan1

Guys... MSU is a top 20 team. UCONN is ... not. Aside from Olander, we literally have no one in the front court who's played a meaningful minute of MCBB. I get that we are UCONN but if we can keep the loss to under 15 points, it will be a moral victory.

Reaction Score
Is it absurd to anyone else that they say none of Wolf, Olander, Daniels, Giffey drew 3+ fouls last year and only put up 8 PPG on post ups? They are using this as an example of why UConn's bigs can't get MSU's in foul trouble.

I would have been amazed if Wolf drew 3 fouls per game in his 4 total minutes last year. Or if Giffey/Daniels in their 12 per game from the 3 spot, lots of post up attempts at the 3 in college (sarcasm). Olander is the only decent example, but he only got 17 minutes of run per game and usually played the high post with Drummond/Oriakhi down low.

I'm not saying it's not a legitimate concern, but it's an absurd set of statistics to use.
Nobody wants to say it, but isn't that the real problem? The guy was only able to earn 4 minutes last year. That says something...

Reaction Score
Guys... MSU is a top 20 team. UCONN is ... not. Aside from Olander, we literally have no one in the front court who's played a meaningful minute of MCBB. I get that we are UCONN but if we can keep the loss to under 15 points, it will be a moral victory.

a preseason top 20 team, just like our team last year was preseason top 5 barely made the tourney, or the year before that MSU was top 2 and barely made the tourney. We really don't know how good MSU is after losing their best player and an All American, and they're definitely not that good to have a defeatist attitude where it will be a "win" to lose by less than 15 pts.

caw

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to say it, but isn't that the real problem? The guy was only able to earn 4 minutes last year. That says something...

I agree, completely.

I was pretty clear in saying it is a legitimate concern, but it's just a silly stat to pull up. Simply stating Wolf played 4 minutes or Niels and Daniels have never played the four for UConn or that Olander is really the only returning big and he did X, Y, Z last year would have been a better set of stats to pull.

Perhaps saying that pretty much any of MSU's bigs have more experience/minutes in the post than the combination of all UConn bigs would work.

I'm not claiming the end isn't a justified opinion, I'm claiming the analysis is based on silly stats.

Reaction Score
STARTERS FOR THE GAME
Ryan Boatright
Shanazz Napier
Omar Calhoun
DeAndre Daniels
Tyler Olander

Reaction Score
Damn people are sensitive. We do not have a very strong frontcourt, period. Until proven otherwise this is our weak area.

Remember we lost Alex, Andre and Scoe, all at one point starters.

Reaction Score
STARTERS FOR THE GAME
Ryan Boatright
Shanazz Napier
Omar Calhoun
DeAndre Daniels
Tyler Olander
I hope we make them play to our style, not the other way around. Otherwise we are SOL.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I wish Giffey had gotten the start in his only home start...

Reaction Score

I agree, hopefully he'll get some good floor minutes. Seeing Giff over the years I'm positive he won't sulk, even though it must suck. He's a real good kid.

Reaction Score
(Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with UConn's chances tonight.)

I know we always say preseason polls mean nothing...but this season, preseason polls really mean nothing. I mean, a mediocre-looking Indiana team is preseason #1.

U

UCONNfan1

a preseason top 20 team, just like our team last year was preseason top 5 barely made the tourney, or the year before that MSU was top 2 and barely made the tourney. We really don't know how good MSU is after losing their best player and an All American, and they're definitely not that good to have a defeatist attitude where it will be a "win" to lose by less than 15 pts.
LOL I'm not getting on the court with the guys so my attitude means diddly squat to them. I'm hopeful that the team does not have a defeatist attitude, and I doubt very much any of them are reading the BY as they warm up for the game in Germany...

I get your point - we don't know how good MSU is, but seriously, don't you believe that anything better than a .500 record is a significant accomplishment for this new coach and young team?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
This was my initial thought. But he'll get a much more distinct reaction when he checks in for the first time instead. Would be something if he checked all 3 of the Germans in at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom