Enjoy the next two years | The Boneyard

Enjoy the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know everyone’s excited, me included, about the 2015 recruiting class and the prospects for UConn continuing to dominate WCBB for the next five years. But I hope our excitement about what lies ahead doesn’t keep us from appreciating what Breanna Stewart and her sidekick Moriah Jefferson are in the midst of accomplishing. Yes, we’ll still be really good when Stewie moves on, and that makes all of us really, really happy. But, let’s not take even one game of Breanna’s marvelous career for granted. Given that Breanna and MoJeff are the most talented twosome we’ve ever had in a single class, it’s inevitable that we take a bit of a dip in 2016-17 and that’s ok. Not that we aren’t likely to win the NC that year, but it will be more contested than is likely this year and next.

The 90 game streak led by Maya and Tina spoiled us. The kind of domination we saw then and are seeing again is just not something any fan should have any right to ever expect. If we can stay healthy, we are very likely to fourpeat for the first time in WCBB history. We have a good shot at breaking the 90 game streak and a reasonable chance at 100 in a row. And we will do all of that against some pretty good competition. In 2015-16 I expect USC and ND to be, collectively, the best #2/#3 teams in the history of WCBB. But UConn will be so good that in spite of at least 3 games against those teams (combined) we will have a good shot at an undefeated season to cap off the amazing careers of Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson.

Someday this will be KLS’s team. And Napheesa’s. And DeJanae’s. And they will accomplish great things. But let’s not let the excitement over that prospect keep us from enjoying every moment of the next two years. There was no reason—none at all—to think that the domination of 2009 and 2010, might happen again. And yet, here is UConn women’s basketball, doing it again. Savor it.

Reaction Score
As I said in another forum blog....Stewart is special. The word SPECIAL is not used for just any great player!! I will never see another like her.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We seem to say this every other year. "Enjoy the next two years" has turned in to 10+ years at this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So right, Sue! I tend to also agree that ND and SC will be #2 and #3, BUT if Tennessee gets Deshields (which seems likely) then it's very possible that they could be better than SC. None of them have the talent to compete with UCONN, but the year after Stewie and Mo graduate, Tennessee would have Russell as a senior, and Deshields as a RS junior. I'd say on paper that would put them ahead of us. But regardless, I think adding DD might put Tenn ahead of SC...

Reaction Score
So right, Sue! I tend to also agree that ND and SC will be #2 and #3, BUT if Tennessee gets Deshields (which seems likely) then it's very possible that they could be better than SC. None of them have the talent to compete with UCONN, but the year after Stewie and Mo graduate, Tennessee would have Russell as a senior, and Deshields as a RS junior. I'd say on paper that would put them ahead of us. But regardless, I think adding DD might put Tenn ahead of SC...
Maybe, but only if Russell's freshman year turns out to be an aberration. Carter's pretty good too, so if Russell turns out to be near earlier expectations that would be a very strong nucleus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie IS great, and so is Moriah. But people tend to overlook another truly great player, the one whose unparalleled shot was given a name when she was all of 15 years old. Of course, I'm talking about Kaleena and the Lewis Launch. The player who dared to wear #23 immediately after the iconic Maya Moore. The player whom Geno dubbed "Baby Jesus." The player who helped recruit Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan. The player who makes playing zone defense against us almost suicidal.

Kaleena was the top frosh in the country until a slump and some "pouting" caused her to slip. She was the best shooter and an All-American as a sophomore. She led the team in scoring both years, not Bria, not Stef, not Stewie. As a junior, she battled 2 scary injuries and illness, but was one of the two best players in the NCAA tourney, as she had been the prior year.

Kaleena is on track to finish in the top 2-3 in UConn career scoring, to demolish Diana's career record for made 3-pointers, and possibly tie Dee's record of 3 NCAA championships. Kaleena has scored at least 12 points in each of 17 NCAA tourney games, led the team several times, including both games in Lincoln in 2014 when the team struggled a bit, and recorded a triple-double. She has 293 career tourney points and should finish in the top few of tourney scoring all time.

Kaleena came all the way to Storrs from Southern California to play for us. I will travel to Storrs to honor her and Kiah on Senior Night.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I very much hope TN gets good again, so they actually make it far enough to play them. I would like to return to beating them in meaningful games.

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler, Courtney Eckmark, Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards, Gabby Williams, Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and De'Janae Boykin. Even with a Diamond and a Mercedes, UConn will be the top fuel jewel of women's college basketball.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The next two years should be fantastic. I look forward to another season with Breanna and KML playing together for one more year. I look forward to seeing how much more of a leap MoJeff makes. I look forward to seeing Stewie as a senior with the 2014 class as sophomores and the 2015 class as freshmen. Maya's senior year could well have culminated in a national championship, but that 2010-11 team was a little thin. I think Breanna, an all-time great, will be surrounded by other talented Huskies. How much fun will all of this be?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Even if Tennessee gets Diamond and has Mercedes, they still will fall short. Talent only gets you so far. You need quality coaching to meld the talent into a team.

Tennesse has yet to have a team concept and I don't see to changing for the future.

Uconn has the best head coach in WCBB and the best coaching staff in WCBB. End of the story.

Reaction Score
Yes, good thread and good point Sue. I have never Stewie, MoJeff and Morgan for granted, but it needs to be said to remind us of the potential history which is in our reach and near future..... when Diana won 3 NCs that was unprecedented, and now Kaleena is on the verge of doing just that, and Stewie's class is poised right behind her to accentuate that and even better it. I remember after Diana graduated, and CGA assumed that things would start to flow and the NCs would come..... and it was not so..... the recruiting was tougher than he had thought.... and it was a couple of years until Maya arrived on the scene...... now the story is different....Geno and his staff are universally recognized as the best in the business, and everyone wants to play under their tutelage at UConn. This should never be under recognized and appreciated.

I read with interest the Sports Illustrated article on Breanna.... how transformational she is to the WCBB game.... and you look at the people who have gone before her..... the Cheryl Millers, the Holdsclaws, the Dianas..... and see the skill set she possesses.... and you just say wow!.... and MoJeff.... wow the things she can do..... it is no wonder why she is idolized by Dangerfield down in Nashville and other girls aspiring to play at the college level..... as soon as she channeled the insane quickness into making plays.... she turned into an incredible player..... and Morgan.... I have always been a big fan of hers..... and I hope her knee treats her well to the extent she can pick up her amazing game where she left off..... depending on circumstances..... she could be the first player in history ...men or women.. to win 5 championships.....

Along with not taking that class for granted...... i would of course add Kaleena..... and salute her.... after this season.... the 2 injuries, the mono, definitely show stoppers..... and look at the way she came back..... and it was noted that she is an incredible ambassador for the program..... we love you KML!!!

And to bring it back to topic, yes, the recruiting has been amazing these past few weeks..... but I think the word you used ..."savor" ...is an appropriate one.... it is going to be a joy watching these upperclassmen perform these last couple of years..... we are so lucky to have them and so fortunate to have the adept coaching staff we do..... it constantly amazes me that there is such a gap between UC and the rest of the field, even as WCBB progresses in its organic growth..... I just want the train to keep on rolling through the stations, collecting championship trophies as it rolls on through.

Reaction Score
I know everyone’s excited, me included, about the 2015 recruiting class and the prospects for UConn continuing to dominate WCBB for the next five years. But I hope our excitement about what lies ahead doesn’t keep us from appreciating what Breanna Stewart and her sidekick Moriah Jefferson are in the midst of accomplishing. Yes, we’ll still be really good when Stewie moves on, and that makes all of us really, really happy. But, let’s not take even one game of Breanna’s marvelous career for granted. Given that Breanna and MoJeff are the most talented twosome we’ve ever had in a single class, it’s inevitable that we take a bit of a dip in 2016-17 and that’s ok. Not that we aren’t likely to win the NC that year, but it will be more contested than is likely this year and next.

The 90 game streak led by Maya and Tina spoiled us. The kind of domination we saw then and are seeing again is just not something any fan should have any right to ever expect. If we can stay healthy, we are very likely to fourpeat for the first time in WCBB history. We have a good shot at breaking the 90 game streak and a reasonable chance at 100 in a row. And we will do all of that against some pretty good competition. In 2015-16 I expect USC and ND to be, collectively, the best #2/#3 teams in the history of WCBB. But UConn will be so good that in spite of at least 3 games against those teams (combined) we will have a good shot at an undefeated season to cap off the amazing careers of Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson.

Someday this will be KLS’s team. And Napheesa’s. And DeJanae’s. And they will accomplish great things. But let’s not let the excitement over that prospect keep us from enjoying every moment of the next two years. There was no reason—none at all—to think that the domination of 2009 and 2010, might happen again. And yet, here is UConn women’s basketball, doing it again. Savor it.
I question whether ND will be as good this coming year as they were this past season. I know some people said that when Diggins left but McBride and their Canadian center (whose name I always forget) will be leaving this year and they were super sensational. The only "special" player that they presently have is Lloyd and although they're getting a great recruiting class, I think the expectations for this year might be a little lower than last year. I know that they had a solid supporting cast but there's a world of difference in a solid supporting class and outstanding. Well, time will tell but that's just MHO!

Reaction Score
Right now I don't think much of Russell at all. I thought she was plodding and very slow and showed nothing in the few times I was able to watch her. Her freshman year was very forgettable but she may really develop into the player that recruiting sites thought was the #1 player in the class. I'd be surprised but I don't have a crystal ball. She needs to do a lot of developing but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Reaction Score
Yeah Buzzboy.... good points..... on Notre Dame..... they were able to beat us 7 out of 8 or something like that..... from where I sit, I have to give credit to the greatness of Diggins, Loyd, McBride, and Achonwa...... and their coaching staff as well..... whereas Berzinski (the gal who played lacrosse for Irish as well) and Devereaux Peters were good role players and at times very good, the four mentioned players served to put ND in the conversation as to who is the best team to go head to head with us..... Yes they have Loyd as the only one left, and it certainly looks as if how quickly and well #2 overall recruit Brianna Turner develops will determine how well the Irish do this coming year.

Totally agreed about Mercedes. Even the neutral TV announcers on some telecasts last year made mention of her lack of hustle..... she will be eaten up against the better competition going forward, unless she hits the gym.

Reaction Score
As I said in another forum blog....Stewart is special. The word SPECIAL is not used for just any great player!! I will never see another like her.
Same words were spoken after Dianna left, then Maya, and now Stewie. All special in their own right and it's true we will never see another THE SAME but many more coming like her!

Reaction Score
We are one extremely lucky group of fans as UConn WBB is truly a gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom