End of Year Awards | Page 4 | The Boneyard

End of Year Awards

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As you using stats to determine potential AA status, since 2002-03 every player who has averaged 25+ PPG for a Top 15 ranked team (Last Week AP Rank) has been an 1st Team AP AA.

In fact there was only 1 player from a ranked team who wasn't 1st Team, which was Andre Riley (2009-10 Oklahoma St. Ranked 20) who was 2nd Team AP AA that year.

Table below is sorted by TS% (which is favorable to Waktins because she shoots so many Free Throws), even then she would still have the worst shooting efficiency to make 1st Team AP AA.

Bold = PPG Season Leader

View attachment 96877
Stats are a big determining factor, but also eye test, performances in big games, team success and how a player helps her team win games should be considered. People can use whatever criteria they like to support certain players, but at the end of the day I don’t see 5 other players having better seasons or a more well rounded case than Watkins even if she isn’t the most efficient.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was WBCA, USBWA, and AP All American for 2 seasons. Eye test during prime time games most definitely had an influence on voters.

Do any of these recognize or use Effective Field Goal %, True Shooting %, and Per 40 Averages, when determining awards?

• NCAA.
  • Naismith.
  • Associated Press.
  • Wade Trophy / Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.
  • Ann Meyers Drysdale Award / United States Basketball Writers Association.

Just a comparison only. No claims being made. No assumptions being made.

PointsReboundsAssistsSteals
Gabby - junior14.38.45.12.7
Gabby - senior10.87.35.02.4
Hannah Hildago23.76.25.54.9
JuJu Watkins28.17.03.42.6

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was WBCA, USBWA, and AP All American for 2 seasons. Eye test during prime time games most definitely had an influence on voters.

Do any of these recognize or use Effective Field Goal %, True Shooting %, and Per 40 Averages, when determining awards?

• NCAA.
  • Naismith.
  • Associated Press.
  • Wade Trophy / Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.
  • Ann Meyers Drysdale Award / United States Basketball Writers Association.

Just a comparison only. No claims being made. No assumptions being made.

PointsReboundsAssistsSteals
Gabby - junior14.38.45.12.7
Gabby - senior10.87.35.02.4
Hannah Hildago23.76.25.54.9
JuJu Watkins28.17.03.42.6
For context the discussion was if Watkins should be 1st Team AP AA. I confirm Gabby was a 2 x 2nd Team AP AA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meaning … ?
Effective FG% in essence converts three point attempts to the equivalent two point %. A third of your threes would be equivalent to 50% of your two's etc. True shooting percentage takes that one step further by taking into account free throws, both how often you draw fouls and what % of your FT's you make.

In that case you are substituting or converting FT's into FG attempts and because most players have a higher FT % their TS% will be higher than their EFG%. So TS% is trying to take all forms of shooting including 3pt and FT attempts and converting them into a 2pt equivalent that compensates for the greater value of a 3pt shot and factors in both drawing and making FT attempts.

There is actually one statistic that goes even further factoring in turnovers as a failed attempt to score, taking the TS% data and adding an adjustment for turnovers. that is called Points Per Play (PPP).

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Effective FG% in essence converts three point attempts to the equivalent two point %. A third of your threes would be equivalent to 50% of your two's etc. True shooting percentage takes that one step further by taking into account free throws, both how often you draw fouls and what % of your FT's you make.

In that case you are substituting or converting FT's into FG attempts and because most players have a higher FT % their TS% will be higher than their EFG%. So TS% is trying to take all forms of shooting including 3pt and FT attempts and converting them into a 2pt equivalent that compensates for the greater value of a 3pt shot and factors in both drawing and making FT attempts.

There is actually one statistic that goes even further factoring in turnovers as a failed attempt to score, taking the TS% data and adding an adjustment for turnovers. that is called Points Per Play (PPP).
Great writeup. I think PPP is the best overall metric, because someone sloppy but aggressive and a good shooter will generate a lot of points but also, potentially, a lot for the other team, too. TS is best as a pure measure of overall shooting ability, but I think PPP is the gold standard for who's has the best overall offensive game.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Conference Predictions now the regular season is over:

Big Ten:
POY: Cailin Clark, Iowa
COY: Kevin McGuff, Ohio State
FOY: Natalie Potts, Nebraska

I think these awards will be the most straight forward.

PAC 12:
POY: Cameron Brink, Stanford
COY: Scott Rueck, Oregon State
FOY: Juju Watkins, USC

Brink/Watkins are easy picks. COY could easily go to Gottlieb too.

ACC:
POY: Elizabeth Kitley, Virginia Tech
COY: Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse
FOY: Hannah Hidalgo, Notre Dame

POY/FOY look like clear cut choices. COY I think Legette-Jack is the best pick but Wes Moore also has a strong case.

SEC:
POY: Angel Reese, LSU
COY: Dawn Staley, South Carolina
FOY: Mikaylah Williams, LSU

FOY is likely a toss up between Fulwiley and Williams since Scott is likely ineligible due to games missed. Their conference only stats are similar with a slight edge to Williams, but Fulwiley is a lot more disruptive defensively and SC won the conference.

Dawn should get COY (and National Coach of the Year for the 4th time in 5 years) but Shea Ralph deserves a major shout out for the job she's done at Vanderbilt. I don't think anyone predicted they'd have a winning record in conference play. Reese is the obvious POY this season.

Big 12:
POY: Madison Booker, Texas
COY Jennie Baranczyk, Oklahoma
FOY Madison Booker, Texas (or Co-FOY with Audi Crooks)

Looking at conference only stats, Booker is the POY even though she's a freshman. In conference she's averaging 20.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 5.5 assists while shooting 48% from the field and 92% from the free throw line. Her team finished 2nd in conference with a 14-4 record.

Other potential other candidates are:

Audi Crooks-19.7 points and 8.8 rebounds on 54% shooting in conference play. Team finished 4th at 12-6

JJ Quinerly-19.4 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 2.8 steals on 43% shooting in conference play. Team finished 4th at 12-6.

Skylar Vann-15.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists on 50% shooting. Team finished 1st at 15-3

Ayoka Lee was injured for too many games so she isn't a candidate. COY I think goes to Baranczyk but you could make a case for Schafer or Mittie too.

Big East:
POY: Paige Bueckers, Connecticut
COY Geno Auriemma, Connecticut
FOY: Ashlynn Shade, Connecticut

The Paige/Aaliyah debate is somewhat of a crapshoot, but Paige's conference only numbers are phenomenal so she gets the nod (22 ppg, 57% FG). I think most UCONN fans are hoping Edwards gets it since Paige has won it before and will likely win it again next year, but if I had to pick between the two based solely on conference play this season, Paige is my pick.

Geno is the clear choice for COY going undefeated in conference after all of the injuries.

Reaction Score
Coach Staley with well-deserved recognition as SEC Coach of the Year this morning. I say that as a very proud fan of Shea Ralph, who, in most other seasons, would merit serious consideration for the award. But, what Dawn Staley has done this season is truly remarkable, and I can only tip my hat to her.

Also, I think Kristy Curry at Alabama deserves to have a mention along with coach Ralph. Both have had great seasons.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
A bit surprised LSU and Ole Miss both have two players on SEC first team while SC only has one; although potentially the 3 players from SC on second team all split votes.

Reaction Score
I don't think Bueckers is a lock. Her running mate, Edwards and Karlen, from Marquette, may have a word.
it's Paige or Aaliyah for sure in the Big East.........the bigger question is do either or both of them get first or second-team All American honors.....

Reaction Score
Ashlyn Watkins not being on the All-Defensive team is criminal
Curious about the 8-player all SEC team. Did the SEC only go to 8-player teams when the league went to 14 teams, or is that the WBB tradition in the SEC? The Big Ten is a 10-player all-conference team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Curious about the 8-player all SEC team. Did the SEC only go to 8-player teams when the league went to 14 teams, or is that the WBB tradition in the SEC? The Big Ten is a 10-player all-conference team.
Not sure when the timeline changed, but I found an article that the 2007 team was 8 player, the 2001 team was 5 players, so likely sometime between there.

Reaction Score

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
Big 12 awards are announced.

Reaction Score

bballnut90

Reaction Score
How the hell is Tara COY??

Rueck or Payne or even Gottlieb more deserving.
Agreed but her team did win conference and was predicted 3rd to start the year. Payne finished below expectations (tied for 5th, preseason 4th). I would’ve picked Rueck or Gottlieb but Tara has done a great job this year.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
How the hell is Tara COY??

Rueck or Payne or even Gottlieb more deserving.
The voters are the 12 coaches in the conference, and she did win the Conference after initially being picked to finish third. But my guess is it's because she is really well beloved by the other coaches in the conference, who've all spoken so highly of her during our swan song of away games. And I suspect given how much she worked to build the conference and support her fellow Pac-12 coaches over the years, this was more of a lifetime achievement award in the final year they're all in it together. Seems fitting to me, honestly.

Reaction Score

BIG10 awards from coaches and media. Personally, no surprises to me here. Think those listed are all deserving based on what I saw in the conference this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom