Elliott: Burke predicts ND over Louisville | The Boneyard

Elliott: Burke predicts ND over Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott@elliottctpost 8m
ESPN's Doris Burke picks @ndwbb to beat @UofLWBB in #ncaaw national championship game. #UConn #bleedblue #ncaaWFF

Not surprising. Listening to Doris talk about our team in the Kentucky game you'd wonder how we even won 30 games. Sometimes ESPN's talent tips their hand. I certainly think ND vs Louisville would be ESPN's desired championship game.

I am a conspiracy theorist at heart. It's my nature. I like to question everything. I think ESPN's WCBB coverage is now based strictly on highlighting the "star" player. I think their coverage of the sport has become very shallow and superficial. Why else do you think we'd be stuck watching Baylor up 50 on Florida State when LSU-Penn State were engaged in a fierce back and forth fight at the same time? Because Baylor had the "star" and in ESPN's world Penn State-LSU didn't matter. I don't think they try to highlight other aspects of the game and the teams to the casual fan. It is strictly highlighting "star" players. And when it goes off script like Louisville upsetting Baylor there is a bit of panic. They have been flailing a bit since the biggest star Griner got knocked out. Some of them seemed pretty pissed about it too. Diggins is obviously the biggest one left. Her getting a championship is arguably the sexiest storyline left. I think ESPN wants Notre Dame in the championship because of Diggins. I don't think ESPN thinks UConn has any interesting players to highlight or any engaging storylines to draw ratings for the championship. Does this sentiment carry over to the officiating tomorrow? Tough to prove human nature can play a role like that. I know many fans believe ND has gotten the benefit of the calls in some of the recent meetings. All I am saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if that continues tomorrow. In a big time way.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
man, I posted some great pictures of our team. take a look and enjoy, and try not to think about crap like this. You cannot do anything about what other people say and do. You can root your heart out for the UConn Huskies!!! :):):)

Reaction Score
I know I know. Last 24 hour nerves before the game. But I do think they are saying a prayer down in the French Quarter tonight for Diggins to still be around Tuesday!

I will go look at those Dolson pics on the float in the parade now.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Good Thread. I expect UConn to really back off from fouling and be explosive coming out. I really expect UConn to do a lot of dribble penetration. Its going to be a different game then the first 3 all of which we should've won.

Reaction Score
Thank you Doris, she knows how to get this UCONN laser focused on Sunday night and she really wants UCONN to win........UCONN and CAL on Tuesday.....East vs West.........Thank you ESPN.........

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She even had her picture taken with ND....unabashed favoritism. I hope the mojo gods and godesses will accept her as a burnt offering and feast upon her.

Reaction Score
@jacobscourant: Kara Lawson, ESPN analyst, Sun guard, Lady Vol on who will win ND-UConn IV: “I switch every hour. It’s terrible. I have no freaking clue."

Same here....it's the day before the game and I've been nervous all week

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I am disappointed that Doris Burke will be doing color for the game. She does attempt to sound unbiased for a portion of the game but invariably, she will go on an anti-UConn, pro-ND rant.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
@jacobscourant: Kara Lawson, ESPN analyst, Sun guard, Lady Vol on who will win ND-UConn IV: “I switch every hour. It’s terrible. I have no freaking clue."

Same here....it's the day before the game and I've been nervous all week
At least Kara is honest.

Reaction Score
Interesting because I feel like Doris is very pro-UConn and always takes Geno's side.

Also, I truly believe ESPN is promoting the stars because they signed that new deal with the WNBA and this is part of trying to build the WNBA's fan base.

Reaction Score
Mute button is on standby for likely activation....
Mute button will, more than likely, be activated.
My husband wonders how I can watch a game with no sound; I answer, "with my eyes."

Reaction Score
ALL I CARE ABOUT IN THE FOLLOWING
OUR WOMEN AND THE COACHES BELIEVE WE CAN AND WILL WIN
I BELIEVE WE WILL WIN
GO HUSKIES
81-61 YES THAT IS RIGHT
IRA

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting because I feel like Doris is very pro-UConn and always takes Geno's side.

Also, I truly believe ESPN is promoting the stars because they signed that new deal with the WNBA and this is part of trying to build the WNBA's fan base.

Bingo. It's all about the WNBA contract. They are promoting the heck out of those seniors, all three of which have star power.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Kelly will be the games MVP. Remember we have no control over what ND does. The only thing UConn can do is control what they do and they will. UConn 73 ND 67 and it wont be that close.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'd like to see us win it all as much as anyone. But I also feel lucky, one way or the other, that year after year our team plays to the last weekend of the season, which means we get to enjoy them as long as possible. Fans of the men's team have often enough enjoyed the same privilege. So even more than winning or losing, this weekend ends the season. Thanks to GA and the team, it has been another great show.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yup, she hates UConn. Look a the drivel she had to say about Faris:
"What she did in last year's national semifinals, I have told my friends is the single greatest effort I have ever seen in a short span of time in a college basketball game," Burke said. "The only other thing that came close to me, I was a fan watching Louisiana Tech and Teresa Weatherspoon completely turned around a national championship game against Auburn. It is the only other thing I can liken it to so equal impact, different ways."

And more anti-UConn bias:

"We talked about the fact that the opening game of year on Nov. 7," ESPN's Doris Burke said. "We asked (Baylor coach) Kim (Mulkey) 'are they hungry.' She said 'I think I have to worry about complacency.' Wen you absorb the fact that Brittney Griner went to two Final Fours and has one national championship and you could make the case that they had the best point guard and best (starting) five in the country, it absolutely draws attention to the continued excellence of UConn and Tennessee. The player who has maybe had the greatest individual impact that I have ever seen when you talk about the number of possessions affected on both ends of the floor, she goes to two Final Fours? There may be no greater testimony to what UConn has done consistently for 28 years. It is pretty amazing."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yup, she hates UConn. Look a the drivel she had to say about Faris:
"What she did in last year's national semifinals, I have told my friends is the single greatest effort I have ever seen in a short span of time in a college basketball game," Burke said. "The only other thing that came close to me, I was a fan watching Louisiana Tech and Teresa Weatherspoon completely turned around a national championship game against Auburn. It is the only other thing I can liken it to so equal impact, different ways."

And more anti-UConn bias:
"We talked about the fact that the opening game of year on Nov. 7," ESPN's Doris Burke said. "We asked (Baylor coach) Kim (Mulkey) 'are they hungry.' She said 'I think I have to worry about complacency.' Wen you absorb the fact that Brittney Griner went to two Final Fours and has one national championship and you could make the case that they had the best point guard and best (starting) five in the country, it absolutely draws attention to the continued excellence of UConn and Tennessee. The player who has maybe had the greatest individual impact that I have ever seen when you talk about the number of possessions affected on both ends of the floor, she goes to two Final Fours? There may be no greater testimony to what UConn has done consistently for 28 years. It is pretty amazing."

What is amusing about all this is the Vol fans were convinced she was so UConn biased that they couldn't stand her.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yes, a "pick" by an announcer who's known to be a fan inspires a team.... love conspiracy theorists faux logic.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
She even had her picture taken with ND....unabashed favoritism. I hope the mojo gods and godesses will accept her as a burnt offering and feast upon her.

But wasn't that her with us not too long ago? Didn't Geno give her a championship ring one year? She used to be all over UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom