Elena says change the height of the basket | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Elena says change the height of the basket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
logistically it would be almost impossible, D1 colleges have baskets that could be adjusted to a lower height- for everyone else it would be very challenging

Well, some of them, anyway. Vanderbilt's arena has these bizarre baskets that are partially supported by cables strung from the ceiling. But then again, we're talking about a southeastern US arena without air conditioning, so... :D

Reaction Score
If we lower the basket in WCBB and/or the WNBA without FIBA agreeing to make it universal, then
our women would be at a big disadvantage in international competition.

Reaction Score
Geno agrees. Says they use a lower net in women's volleyball, why not in basketball? What's wrong with more dunks?
Not every follower of WCBB may think dunks would be a dramatic or even interesting aspect of the game. Maybe they value other aspects which are relatively independent of rim height, like ball and player movement and defensive intensity.

Reaction Score
To allow more than a dozen players to dunk they's have to lower it more than a foot.

I am reminded of a time in the 20's or 30's when pro golfers complained that all the tournaments were being won by the best putters. To make putting less of a factor they experimented with an enlarged cup . The result was that the poor putters remained poor and the good putters made even more putts.

The only true dunker in wbb is Griner. The rest are just rolling the ball over the rim. Lowering the rim 6-12 inches would give someone like EDD more highlights on Sportscenter. That's all.

Reaction Score
To allow more than a dozen players to dunk they's have to lower it more than a foot.

I am reminded of a time in the 20's or 30's when pro golfers complained that all the tournaments were being won by the best putters. To make putting less of a factor they experimented with an enlarged cup . The result was that the poor putters remained poor and the good putters made even more putts.

The only true dunker in wbb is Griner. The rest are just rolling the ball over the rim. Lowering the rim 6-12 inches would give someone like EDD more highlights on Sportscenter. That's all.
What's wrong with that? The more attention the sport can get the better. For how much longer do you expect schools to continue supporting money losing sports? Eventually collegiate sports that can't cover their expenses at schools where the athletic department is hemorrhaging cash (like UConn) are going bye bye or will at best be treated marginally better than an intramural club. When Geno retires, think the next coach is making $2 mil per year? Bet not.

Reaction Score
Geno said to lower the rim and also to use the mens ball because it is softer on the rims.Also to be able to play more pickup with the guys because they wont play with a womens ball.You dont see alot of women playing pickup games.It is usually club teams,AAU or High School.Two great examples of playing against guys when they were growing up Diana Taurasi and Dawn Staley.
As a rule maker Geno is a really good coach. Stay there Geno.

Reaction Score
I'd even go further, and try and find a way to make the court bigger - wider, anyway. As men increase in size and quickness, as well as height, the court can seem mighty tight.
Yep, I've said it a number of times: the human body has outgrown the basketball court.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My choice would be to raise the height of the men's basket by 9 inches or a foot. I miss the days when wings and guards actually had to make lay-ups. :eek: The glorification of the dunk is a bad thing in the men's game because it has become so commonplace. I find I am just bored by the typical game highlights.

But ... I do agree that in the modern environment where the dunk is so glorified, it would change the perception of athleticism if the basket were lower. The lower net in Volleyball started from the very beginning of women playing the game because net play was such an integral part of the sport - volleyball without spikes and blocks becomes endless if you have good players - the ball never touches the ground and rallies would last for ever. Women playing basketball competitively started before the jump shot or the dunk were part of the men's game - the dunk was actually outlawed for the college game for a while as it became more commonplace.

No one now comments on the height of the net in volleyball - it is just taken for granted. If it height of the basket were changed in the women's game, it would get a few comments early on, but within a few years no one would feel it necessary, and you would start seeing highlight packages of women's dunks. I am happy with the way the game is played right now, but if the idea is to make sports center highlights and thus grow the game ... maybe I am OK with that.
Maybe. But then maybe the women's game which we love will become so much more like the men's game. Selfish meball, little basketball knowledge, early graduations with one and dones. Agents, unteachable players. The list is endless. I don't know. Geno's been an advocate of many changes including shrinking the lane, increasing the size of the ball. Those changes I do like. I say if they want to change the pro game and lower the basket fine.

Reaction Score
Definitely need to. But that would most likely mean in most arena's removing paying seats.that ain't gonna happen.
And they are the most expensive seats in the house! Who is going to advocate for this one?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is just a stupid idea. Lower the rim for the women's game yet every playground rim in America will be a 10 feet. Then there is the issue of attempting to adjust to a taller rim when playing international ball.

Just leave the rim where it is and teach players how to make a freaking layup. Demand greatness, don't change the game to accommodate mediocrity.
we're on the same team with this comment

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't see the issue. UCONN's WBB is running out of records to earn. Might as well create some new ones for them!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Women's game is different than the men's. We should embrace that, not look for ways to change it.

Bigger ball is not a problem to me. Lots of problems with lowering the rim: Cost and practice opportunities for girls? But mostly that women just don't have the same muscle mass and ability to jam the ball (not that I find that a problem). Mostly women's dunks will not measure up in any way to men's, so why invite the comparison? And I kind of like not being absolutely sure a player will make a shot right at the rim. (Except when its my team and an important shot...)
Yes, lowering the baskets and encouraging women to dunk will only highlight the differences in athleticism.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some people find pass... pass... missed layup, pass... pass... missed 7 ft jump shot, pass.. pass.. pass.. dribble.. dribble.. turnover boring too. As Geno has said when it comes to sports, they are entertainment, and offense often drives the bus. If the fans like dunks, the fans shall have dunks or go find some other form of entertainment. Why do you suppose men's games get better attendance and by a wider demographic? Just dumb luck, or more entertaining product overall? I don't want to see dunking all over the place either, but I'd rather have the sport than not have it all.
Yes and that is why those people watch UCONN basketball instead. Goal tending should be called every time a dunk is made.

Reaction Score
I apologize in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this post... it is simply the ramblings of a bored person waiting for UCONN to play it's first game.What about moving the foul line closer for the weaker sex like they do in golf. Moving in the three point line as well would increase the scores and make it more appealing to the public. Maybe even add a four point shot. The there is the rim.... make the hole bigger to help them score even more. Orrrrrrrrrr, when a team is ahead by more than 20 points the losing team gets the ball after any basket, like some basketball leagues. And if the winning team steals the ball, they have to give it back. Wait, wait, wait..... I've got a great idea.... handicap each team, like they do in bowling, using the RIP rating and give the lower ranked team some points based on their ranking. Of course the conference they play in will have to be considered into the point system as to not get carried away. I mean, really, think what would happen if one SEC team got 25 free points against another SEC team. That would be crazy considering how many points they score in an SEC game. Should we treat them like horses and make the faster players wear weights to even it out a little. Dare I say we should consider allowing one team to play more than five players, like a hockey game, or is that just being silly? This is fun. How many more stupid ideas can I come up with. What about making arcs on the floor around the basket as to allow(or force) certain height or arm length players to stay within those arcs. No more Breanna Stewart coming to the top of the key trying to block shots on those vertically challenged guards. There can be an official height-in before the game like they do in boxing. Any other possible changes would be appreciated. :eek:

Reaction Score
I apologize in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this post... it is simply the ramblings of a bored person waiting for UCONN to play it's first game.What about moving the foul line closer for the weaker sex like they do in golf. Moving in the three point line as well would increase the scores and make it more appealing to the public. Maybe even add a four point shot. The there is the rim.... make the hole bigger to help them score even more. Orrrrrrrrrr, when a team is ahead by more than 20 points the losing team gets the ball after any basket, like some basketball leagues. And if the winning team steals the ball, they have to give it back. Wait, wait, wait..... I've got a great idea.... handicap each team, like they do in bowling, using the RIP rating and give the lower ranked team some points based on their ranking. Of course the conference they play in will have to be considered into the point system as to not get carried away. I mean, really, think what would happen if one SEC team got 25 free points against another SEC team. That would be crazy considering how many points they score in an SEC game. Should we treat them like horses and make the faster players wear weights to even it out a little. Dare I say we should consider allowing one team to play more than five players, like a hockey game, or is that just being silly? This is fun. How many more stupid ideas can I come up with. What about making arcs on the floor around the basket as to allow(or force) certain height or arm length players to stay within those arcs. No more Breanna Stewart coming to the top of the key trying to block shots on those vertically challenged guards. There can be an official height-in before the game like they do in boxing. Any other possible changes would be appreciated. :eek:

Reaction Score
How bout springs in your shoes and or heelies to make the players jump higher and go faster. SMH!
The should put a trampoline in front of each basket and allow the players to launch themselves at or over the rim. Watching every player drop the ball in from three feet above would prove how athletic they all are, for sure. Granted, when not planning to use the trampoline, they would have to learn how to approach the basket a full tilt without falling over the trampoline, but what the heck? Fans would appreciate the new element of risk introduced into the game as the players tried to avoid broken legs and ankles. This will fix the women's game, for sure.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

or they can change the floor - please go to the slam ball video

Reaction Score
I remember Auriemma discussing this (and other possible tweaks to the women's game) during an post-game interview a couple of years ago. He suggested lowering the rim by 8", to 9'-4". His desire in this regard was for more ease in layups, increasing scoring and more offensive fluidity. All the blown layups often seen in the game was unattractive to watch in his eyes, and slows the game down. His real interest, as noted in an above post, was to make the women's game more entertaining. I don't think he was necessarily thinking of dunks. Doris Burke did note that if implemented it would have to be universal - international as well as local, and that the real roadblock would be the many high school gyms that can't easily or economically make the adjustment (between boys & girls games in same gym).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom