Elena says change the height of the basket | The Boneyard

Elena says change the height of the basket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
From USAToday: EDD says the height in the women's game should be lowered. I don't know if Geno agrees with this but I do recall he brought the topic up.
Elena says it would better showcase the game's athleticism.

IMO...no. It would certainly lead to more dunks...but the jumps would be just the same as they are now.
A better idea would be to increase the paint area....perhaps even more than the Olympic size....the better to create movement and space near the basket...that would showcase athleticism on our side of the game.

She cites differences in golf [shorter holes]...volleyball [lower net] as examples to back her point.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My choice would be to raise the height of the men's basket by 9 inches or a foot. I miss the days when wings and guards actually had to make lay-ups. :eek: The glorification of the dunk is a bad thing in the men's game because it has become so commonplace. I find I am just bored by the typical game highlights.

But ... I do agree that in the modern environment where the dunk is so glorified, it would change the perception of athleticism if the basket were lower. The lower net in Volleyball started from the very beginning of women playing the game because net play was such an integral part of the sport - volleyball without spikes and blocks becomes endless if you have good players - the ball never touches the ground and rallies would last for ever. Women playing basketball competitively started before the jump shot or the dunk were part of the men's game - the dunk was actually outlawed for the college game for a while as it became more commonplace.

No one now comments on the height of the net in volleyball - it is just taken for granted. If it height of the basket were changed in the women's game, it would get a few comments early on, but within a few years no one would feel it necessary, and you would start seeing highlight packages of women's dunks. I am happy with the way the game is played right now, but if the idea is to make sports center highlights and thus grow the game ... maybe I am OK with that.

Reaction Score
logistically it would be almost impossible, D1 colleges have baskets that could be adjusted to a lower height- for everyone else it would be very challenging

Reaction Score
Maybe lower it a little. I just don't want to see everyone dunking. That has become so boring in the mens game.

Reaction Score
Then there's the flubber angle.Might conjur up more than just a mere modicum

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Before I would lower the basket I would go with a larger/heavier ball. I think that would reduce the number of missed layups and maybe turnovers too. I like the idea of a wider lane as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is just a stupid idea. Lower the rim for the women's game yet every playground rim in America will be a 10 feet. Then there is the issue of attempting to adjust to a taller rim when playing international ball.

Just leave the rim where it is and teach players how to make a freaking layup. Demand greatness, don't change the game to accommodate mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Geno said to lower the rim and also to use the mens ball because it is softer on the rims.Also to be able to play more pickup with the guys because they wont play with a womens ball.You dont see alot of women playing pickup games.It is usually club teams,AAU or High School.Two great examples of playing against guys when they were growing up Diana Taurasi and Dawn Staley.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno agrees. Says they use a lower net in women's volleyball, why not in basketball? What's wrong with more dunks?
They are boring as hell. It is one of the reasons I rarely if ever watch the NBA. Personally, I think they should raise the men's baskets to 11' or 12' and force them to play basketball again.

Reaction Score
EDD became a member of the Darkside when she left years ago. I hold grudges . Her statements fall on deaf ears. But Man o man she can play

Reaction Score
The Women's game is different than the men's. We should embrace that, not look for ways to change it.

Bigger ball is not a problem to me. Lots of problems with lowering the rim: Cost and practice opportunities for girls? But mostly that women just don't have the same muscle mass and ability to jam the ball (not that I find that a problem). Mostly women's dunks will not measure up in any way to men's, so why invite the comparison? And I kind of like not being absolutely sure a player will make a shot right at the rim. (Except when its my team and an important shot...)

Reaction Score
EDD became a member of the Darkside when she left years ago. I hold grudges . Her statements fall on deaf ears. But Man o man she can play
So can Rachel Banham, but what has either or them ever won?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
They are boring as hell. It is one of the reasons I rarely if ever watch the NBA. Personally, I think they should raise the men's baskets to 11' or 12' and force them to play basketball again.
I'd even go further, and try and find a way to make the court bigger - wider, anyway. As men increase in size and quickness, as well as height, the court can seem mighty tight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So can Rachel Banham, but what has either or them ever won?
Well EDD won 3 Delaware State HS titles, WBCA All-Star game MVP, WNBA Rookie of the Year, WNBA MVP, Gold medal at University Games. She's been around.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd even go further, and try and find a way to make the court bigger - wider, anyway. As men increase in size and quickness, as well as height, the court can seem mighty tight.
Definitely need to. But that would most likely mean in most arena's removing paying seats......that ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Some people find pass... pass... missed layup, pass... pass... missed 7 ft jump shot, pass.. pass.. pass.. dribble.. dribble.. turnover boring too. As Geno has said when it comes to sports, they are entertainment, and offense often drives the bus. If the fans like dunks, the fans shall have dunks or go find some other form of entertainment. Why do you suppose men's games get better attendance and by a wider demographic? Just dumb luck, or more entertaining product overall? I don't want to see dunking all over the place either, but I'd rather have the sport than not have it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom