editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I also think that the silence from FSU is deafening, dont you? If FSU has no interest, and the ACC contract is basically a done deal, why havent they put out a statement? FSU can end this debate with a simple one paragraph press release and yet they havent.......

You mean this...

UPDATE, 4:21 p.m.: FSU athletics director Randy Spetman just issued a statement regarding the extended television deal for the ACC and ESPN. Here’s what he said:

“We are pleased that the ACC and ESPN have readjusted and extended the television package. The addition of Syracuse and Pittsburgh along with the extended ESPN contract further strengthens the position of the ACC and each of our institutions in the college athletic landscape at a critical time. The additional revenue for each school will be significant as is the exposure for all our sports across the board.”

Reaction Score
In discussions of the new ACC-ESPN deal there have been mentions that the deal re-opens every five years for purposes of adjusting the payments to reflect then current market conditions. If that is correct the ACC numbers are not cast in stone until 2026.

It's a look in clause. It doesn't mean they will get what they want. They didn't now and they still won't in 5 years.

Reaction Score
One thing is certain. Nobody on an Internet message board has any clue what FSU will do. I believe FSU doesn't even know what they will do. What we do know is that FSU would make more money in the Big 12 and they would have a more interesting football schedule, especially if Clemson and other football centric ACC schools went with them. We don't know if FSU would be willing to move, even for more money.

I have to think they will give a move serious consideration as the college football landscape is evolving and FSU has to realize that the SEC may go to 16 schools and it is doubtful they are one of them and the Big 1G may expand and they will not be on the short list, but conference mates will be.

Reaction Score
You mean this...

UPDATE, 4:21 p.m.: FSU athletics director Randy Spetman just issued a statement regarding the extended television deal for the ACC and ESPN. Here’s what he said:

“We are pleased that the ACC and ESPN have readjusted and extended the television package. The addition of Syracuse and Pittsburgh along with the extended ESPN contract further strengthens the position of the ACC and each of our institutions in the college athletic landscape at a critical time. The additional revenue for each school will be significant as is the exposure for all our sports across the board.”
Jericho, thank you for proving my point as well. Where is the statement about we remain committed to the ACC? That is the biggest non statement you could put out, plus note its from the AD and not the President? That is what they call plausible deniability. Dude, that seriously reads as a sign of committment from FSU to the ACC to you?????

Reaction Score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363940

Chip Brown thinks its possible. I can find Internet meatheads "in the know" to support my position too!

Another well reasoned piece on why FSU will not go to the Big12:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/arguments-favoring-fsu-clemsons-move-to-big-12-lack-merit/

Seems that the only people who think that there is a possibility of FSU and Clemson actually leaving the ACC are a few folks here and on the WVU boards but, of course, both groups have an axe to grind over not being selected by the ACC for membership.

Never say never but UConn has a much better chance of being 15 or 16 in the ACC than they do of being a replacement 13 or 14.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What will eventually smoke the ACC is the SEC, not the Big 12.

The ACC is the fifth conference in a four-conference world and when the SEC decides it wants to be a lil bigger, the ACC will get a lot smaller.

Wouldn't surprise if the garage sale on ACC programs starts then - as we saw with the Big East and the Big 12 a while back, when it starts, it's hard to stop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The ACC is the fifth conference in a four-conference world and when the SEC decides it wants to be a lil bigger, the ACC will get a lot smaller.

Wouldn't surprise if the garage sale on ACC programs starts then - as we saw with the Big East and the Big 12 a while back, when it starts, it's hard to stop.

Agree with this. The Big 12 really had to swallow hard to take WVU. They don't really want to expand eastward. They just lost Mizzou as it is. They will be looking west/southwest, to territory not already more or less owned by the SEC. Louisville is an also-ran in Kentucky. FSU plays second fiddle to Florida. It wouldn't shock me to see them move for a New Mexico or Nevada, and the'd love to have Colorado back (and to steal Utah).

SEC only has room for two more schools realistically, so that won't kill the ACC, it will just drive them north, claiming UConn and Rutgers. The ACC knows they can't win the south over the SEC, but they can claim the northeast vs the BE. Clemson can't compete with South Carolina or GT with UGA. It's North Carolina and up that they control.

Reaction Score
a close friend is playing in a FSU alumni golf event today. fundraiser with Jimbo there, etc. The talk is that while boosters and AD want FSU out of the ACC and into the sEC or Big12 yesterday, the President is strongly opposed due to academics.

Reaction Score
Another well reasoned piece on why FSU will not go to the Big12:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/arguments-favoring-fsu-clemsons-move-to-big-12-lack-merit/

Seems that the only people who think that there is a possibility of FSU and Clemson actually leaving the ACC are a few folks here and on the WVU boards but, of course, both groups have an axe to grind over not being selected by the ACC for membership.

Never say never but UConn has a much better chance of being 15 or 16 in the ACC than they do of being a replacement 13 or 14.
Observer, I am going to spare everyone going tit for tat with you on FSU, all I can say is that we in the Big East have seen core, charter members leave for some of the very same issues that face FSU. I am not saying it will happen, I never have, but I think to deny the possibility, or deny that FSU will not give this serious, thoughtful, careful condersideration is wishful thinking at best. I dont have a horse in the FSU race, CT may not even be an ACC invite if they do leave. I just think there is a series of facts out there, and of past precedents of why other schools have moved to different conferences, that do make it compelling for FSU to consider a move. I just strongly feel (the FSU topic constitues 1/3 of my postings on this board, you are almost even with me since Monday!), that the people who dismiss it as so out of hand are just not being realistic to a set of facts (not opinions and not well reasoned articles) that exist.

I wish FSU well, and as a CT fan I totally wish we had the football teams and hot undergrads that FSU has shown over the years! We are probably "closer" to the matching the football teams than the hot undergrads, and that is not a knock on FSU football, but on CT undergrads......

Reaction Score
What would an FSU thread be without posting something like this???
images

You just know in fifteen years this kid is going to be saying to himself, "If I only knew then what I know now"......I feel bad for him, he peaked at age 8.......its all downhill from here little man......

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bottom line for me - as of right now I think a FSU move this summer is unlikely. Within a year, slightly higher odds. For 5+ years out all bets are off and anything is possible. A lot depends on whether the playoffs come to fruition, whether they expand, how Notre Dame fits into it, how easily the SEC can get multiple teams in, the next BE contract and whether the ACC and BE sign GOR. So some of these issues will not be known by the time kickoff comes this August, but might be known within a year or so. If the characterization that FSU alumni are itching to get out but the president is resistant, then it might be one of those situations that just takes a couple more years for the politics to work itself out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are only 4 ACC teams the SEC would even consider: UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech and NC State, and the SEC would only take 2 of them. None of the other ACC teams will EVER be members of the SEC. The Big 10 would only want UNC, UVa, Maryland or GTech. None of the other schools are even on the board.

If FSU and Clemson are going to leave, it will have to be to the Big 12, which means they need to go now before the Big 12 fills up. Imagine how mad you would be if you found out Herbst turned down an invitation to the Big 10 in early 2011. How do you think FSU or Clemson fans will feel if they stay and then the SEC or Big 10 comes calling on other schools?

Reaction Score
So who does the Big 12 add if FSU and Clemson are officially off the table according to the folks in this thread? Louisville and Cincinnati?

I think their top choices would be Louisville and BYU. They're still looking for a better spot.

Reaction Score
There are only 4 ACC teams the SEC would even consider: UNC, Virginia, Virginia Tech and NC State, and the SEC would only take 2 of them. None of the other ACC teams will EVER be members of the SEC. The Big 10 would only want UNC, UVa, Maryland or GTech. None of the other schools are even on the board.

If FSU and Clemson are going to leave, it will have to be to the Big 12, which means they need to go now before the Big 12 fills up. Imagine how mad you would be if you found out Herbst turned down an invitation to the Big 10 in early 2011. How do you think FSU or Clemson fans will feel if they stay and then the SEC or Big 10 comes calling on other schools?

Well, it's settled then, because the Carolina and Virginia teams are NEVER leaving for the SEC. NEVER.

Reaction Score

^^^^THIS ^^^^

Anybody talking about the Big 12 or anybody else blowing up the ACC is clueless, especially those posts about half the ACC leaving for another conference.

The only schools that will leave the ACC are southern football schools who want to play in the SEC. That's it. To them, the ACC is AAA baseball, and the SEC is the Major Leagues. All the other ACC teams are delighted to be right where they are.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
^^^^THIS ^^^^

Anybody talking about the Big 12 or anybody else blowing up the ACC is clueless, especially those posts about half the ACC leaving for another conference.

The only schools that will leave the ACC are southern football schools who want to play in the SEC. That's it. To them, the ACC is AAA baseball, and the SEC is the Major Leagues. All the other ACC teams are delighted to be right where they are.

what?
so if fsu and clem know that 2 years from now vt and ncst are going to the sec for 16 and that they are stuck in the acc why wouldn't they get out now in advance? don't you think those 2 would move before the league blows up? and prob take miami and gt with them so they have a eastern division in the league? why would fsu and clem just let the sec rip apart the acc a couple years from now and be stuck in the acc when they can move now for more $$ and be ahead of time instead of stuck. if fsu and clem wait, the b12 might add lville and byu or whoever to get to 12 for a ccg. then the acc teams moving won't be able to have a legit east division in the b12.

fsu/clem are feelign the heat right now. as soon as they convince miami and gt to go with those 4 with wvu/lville and 1 other will be the east division of the b12. then the sec will match 16 with vt/ncst and the b10 will take the left over big publics. why would fsu/clem ever let it get to the point where the sec draws blood when they can make the move themselves before hand?

Reaction Score
Well, it's settled then, because the Carolina and Virginia teams are NEVER leaving for the SEC. NEVER.

People that say NEVER in this day and age when it comes to realignment really need to get a clue. There is no such thing as NEVER.

Reaction Score
FSU AD just gave an interview and said "we are committed to the ACC". That is what I was waiting for to prove this wont happen.

Reaction Score
Jericho, thank you for proving my point as well. Where is the statement about we remain committed to the ACC? That is the biggest non statement you could put out, plus note its from the AD and not the President? That is what they call plausible deniability. Dude, that seriously reads as a sign of committment from FSU to the ACC to you?????

Wow, even when FSU sends out a pro-ACC statement its not good enough for the Big 12 conspiracy theory. Ok then, how about this:

TALLAHASSEE — While the conference realignment talk has buzzed around them all this week, Florida State officials have sat idly by, refraining from jumping into the speculative discourse that includes their university's athletics programs.
That changed Friday morning.
In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, FSU athletics director Randy Spetman said his programs were "committed to the ACC" and that any conversations about the school switching conferences is pure nonsense.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...d-espn-conference-switch-fsu-ad-randy-spetman

Edit to add, I guess I was a little slow in posting this

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is perfect^ now schools are denying it to the media. isn't that what every school does a couple weeks before something happens?

Reaction Score

Fills up on what? The ghosts of Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A & M? Look, if FSU wanted to leave fo the Big 12, do you think the Big 12 will ever go and say "Nah, we're full". If the Big 12 adds Lousiville and someone one else, do you really think they still turn down FSU?

Your argument for leaving is bizarre. FSU has to leave now or else all these other fake moves might happen and then they might be left with a weak conference and no one will want them. None of that is believable.

Reaction Score
this is perfect^ now schools are denying it to the media. isn't that what every school does a couple weeks before something happens?

The whole sequence is funny

1) ESPN announces new deal with ACC

2) Bloggers claim FSU is strangely silent, direct evidence they are leaving the ACC

3) FSU releases a very pro-ACC statement talking about how good a deal it is and how it will keep everyone competitive

4) Bloggers claim FSU big not use the specific words "committ to" in its statement and therefore are leaving the ACC

5) FSU AD specifically says school is committed to the ACC

6) Bloggers claim this is what schools always say before they leave, direct evidence FSU is leaving the ACC

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Fills up on what? The ghosts of Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A & M? Look, if FSU wanted to leave fo the Big 12, do you think the Big 12 will ever go and say "Nah, we're full". If the Big 12 adds Lousiville and someone one else, do you really think they still turn down FSU?

Your argument for leaving is bizarre. FSU has to leave now or else all these other fake moves might happen and then they might be left with a weak conference and no one will want them. None of that is believable.

if fsu and clem jump now, they get the pick of whos part of the eastern divisionon the b12. they can get lville/gt/miami with them and have a regional good looking division and also have a good shot at playing tex or ok in the ccg. if fsu/clem sit tight, the b12 adds 2. lville and byu lets say. now that east division if fsu and clem ever jump has atleast 2 texas schools or ist/kst type schools. not what fsu is looking for. so you jump now andbe the one to make your future division or stay and watch the sec/b10 rip apart the acc and then jump to a division thats not great and could have been great if you moved earlier.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Actually, yes I do. Texas and Oklahoma are not enthusiastic about expansion to begin with. As the number of members gets bigger, they will become less enthusiastic and the incremental dollars will not be as interesting to justify the incremental travel.

Reaction Score
I don't know that I see Louisville as a prime catch if you can't get Florida State...I mean it isn't like they are a 3 time national champion as is FSU. It isn't even like they are the #1 program in Kentucky. Other than wanting to go, and let's face it UCONN and Rutgers also want to go, what does Louisville bring to the table exactly? I mean if you are going through all the trouble to expand and all you come up with is Louisville, I'm not all that sure you bother..If they are paired with someone else, maybe, but if all you come up with is Louisville and Cincinnatti you definitely don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom