Early Season Lou Critics | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Early Season Lou Critics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I found these gems from the USF thread in January (1-10-16)

“Wish KLS could shoot like Laska”

“Laska has 14 points to KLS's 2. I'm not sure your take is all that realistic, with due respect."

BTW it's "Laksa" and she's LEADING the American in 3pt % , so I guess we wish EVERYBODY could shoot like Laksa. And that being said I'd like to see the numbers from just this game forward. I'll bet Lou is right up there with the markmanship now. And besides as was said before she does so much more than shoot threes for us.

I recall this too. I remember this was said between two other posters and I think the subject was one poster specifically speaking of a comparison of the shooting between Laska and KLS while the other poster said specifically as you say - KLS does "more." I didn't consider this "bashing."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I will plead guilty to having posted during the exhibition season that based on what I saw of Lou's defense in those games, I did not think she could defend Mabrey, Gillespie, A'ja Wilson, or Diamond Deshields, and was unlikely to acquire that level of skill this season.

I will acknowledge being extremely pleasantly surprised at how quickly her defense has improved. I'm still not sure I want to see her guarding A'ja Wilson in the Final Four if that should happen, but hopefully it won't be necessary. Next year is another story.

I also recall predicting in numerous posts that her shooting would come around, and that she should just keep jacking them up until that happened, while also doing all the other things that Geno and Boneyarders would like to see. She has done that, and the forecast about her shooting (her own as well as Geno's and most observers) has been realized.

I have a solution for the truly repentant. I have developed a line of UConn Husky hair shirts and flagellant whips in various lengths and blood drawings embedded "little bits" and offer them on "Huskyrepentants.com".

Reaction Score
maybe people's definition of "bashing" is different... but I def. recall bashing-like comments in the vein of "she'll never..." Don't really care, actually, until folks are as demanding and judgmental about themselves as they are about 18 year olds.... ;-)
As the guy who introduced that term to the discussion (and apologized to some who thought it was too strong for what they wrote), I really appreciate this. These are my thoughts precisely that moved me to the strong language: these are 18 year old kids, often away from home for the first time, trying to fit into both college life and academic challenges AND to a world class sports team with the most demanding coach in the country. Just a little pressure, no? As has often been said here, even if they don't read these blogs themselves, it's a good bet that friends or relatives do. Some of this must get back to them. The question of whether some of us "bashed" or just "criticized" shouldn't make us lose sight of the fact that we're true Blue fans of these kids. Let Geno give the tough love. He's pretty good at that!

Reaction Score
As the guy who introduced that term to the discussion (and apologized to some who thought it was too strong for what they wrote), I really appreciate this. These are my thoughts precisely that moved me to the strong language: these are 18 year old kids, often away from home for the first time, trying to fit into both college life and academic challenges AND to a world class sports team with the most demanding coach in the country. Just a little pressure, no? As has often been said here, even if they don't read these blogs themselves, it's a good bet that friends or relatives do. Some of this must get back to them. The question of whether some of us "bashed" or just "criticized" shouldn't make us lose sight of the fact that we're true Blue fans of these kids. Let Geno give the tough love. He's pretty good at that!

It is impossible though to not criticize. I'm not speaking of KLS but in general. For example, there can be debates of if UCONN should start with a bigger team or smaller team? With a more experienced lineup or play the most talented/youth? Should the ball should go inside more or don't have some of the player's get beat up as much and instead play smaller and the spread the floor? There was for example a lot of talk of concern that Stewart getting beat up playing 4/5 and instead some would post a preference to have her play the three/small forward.

For those that disagree on how they think UCONN should play- you can't just speak of strengths to make your point, especially if you back-and-forth on a debate. You have to also speak of our player's weaknesses. Because it is relevant in the debate. And I just wonder sometimes if someone speaks of a player's weaknesses - a definition by some would call that "bashing." Not you. But anyhow - you should be able to speak of a player's weaknesses. But it's a fine line sometimes because you don't see the person face-to-face -- which would change everything- you miss the tone of the point.

Reaction Score
It is impossible though to not criticize. I'm not speaking of KLS but in general. For example, there can be debates of if UCONN should start with a bigger team or smaller team? With a more experienced lineup or play the most talented/youth? Should the ball should go inside more or don't have some of the player's get beat up as much and instead play smaller and the spread the floor? There was for example a lot of talk of concern that Stewart getting beat up playing 4/5 and instead some would post a preference to have her play the three/small forward....But anyhow - you should be able to speak of a player's weaknesses. But it's a fine line sometimes because you don't see the person face-to-face -- which would change everything- you miss the tone of the point.

Of course, we implicitly and even explicitly emphasize players strengths and weaknesses when we speculate about what's best for the team--that's part of the fun of blogging. There is no firm line between doing it constructively and doing it a manner which could be hurtful. Players know they have weaknesses and appreciate when they play badly-- more than we do, if Geno has anything to say about it. So, it's not as if they'll wilt from negative comments by us. But I guess a version of the Golden Rule could apply here: write about our Huskies what you might be able to read written about yourself without feeling trashed (rhymes with "bashed"!) and in a way that demonstrates that, however we might play, we'd feel valued. I don't really have a solid answer for you, hoophuskee, because, as you say, it's a pretty gray area. Just as a relative newbie (lurking before signing up) I was a bit taken back by some things I wouldn't want their friends and relatives to read about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom