Duquesne Coach: "Make no mistake; it's going to be a track meet!" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duquesne Coach: "Make no mistake; it's going to be a track meet!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First they have to get past the zone press. Then they have to get past Stewie and Morgan. That track ain't clear!
Or Geno could just take off the zone press and have Duquesne play against a set half court defense. Duquesne is not a very good shooting team considering the schedule played. 41% shooting as a team for the season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Upon further reflection.........................Coach Burt said all the right things during his presser. As a leader of his team, he had to show confidence, and a little swagger in front of his team and supporters.
After reviewing his team's won-loss record yesterday, its not difficult to surmise that his presser consisted of nothing more than "coach-speak".

What's he going to do? Sit there and admit that his team doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the game? No coach is going to send his team out on the floor after planting a seed in their mind that they can't win against the vaunted UConn Huskies. Just being in the building, and looking around at all of the banners is intimidating enough. Not to mention the current winning streak UConn is currently working on.
He has to do whatever he can to convince them that they have a chance, albeit it a slim one.

Duquesne played 5 unranked teams they couldn't beat. Certainly UConn is better than all of those 5. In 2 of their losses, they only scored 48 & 52 points. Who's to say they can't replicate that same effort tonight on the biggest stage they've played in all year? Look for the Huskies to come out smoking like they did against Robert Morris. This one may get ugly real fast. One word keeps coming into my consciousness over and over as I ponder what will happen in tonight's game. That word: Blitzkrieg.

Blitzkrieg - A German term for “lightning war,” blitzkrieg is a military tactic designed to create disorganization among enemy forces through the use of mobile forces and locally concentrated firepower. Its successful execution results in short military campaigns, which preserves human lives and limits the expenditure of artillery. Carnac's prediction for tonight: UConn 95 - Duquesne 45. Enjoy the game everyone.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Can they run for a full 40 minutes? I don't think so but UCONN can!

Congrats Huskeynut, you called it. They blew a tire around the 16 minute mark, well short of 40 minute marathon they spoke of.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Upon further reflection.....Coach Burt said all the right things during his presser. As a leader of his team, he had to show confidence, and a little swagger in front of his team and supporters.
After reviewing his team's won-loss record yesterday, its not difficult to surmise that his presser consisted of nothing more than "coach-speak".

What's he going to do? Sit there and admit that his team doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the game? No coach is going to send his team out on the floor after planting a seed in their mind that they can't win against the vaunted UConn Huskies. Just being in the building, and looking around at all of the banners is intimidating enough. Not to mention the current winning streak UConn is currently working on.
He has to do whatever he can to convince them that they have a chance, albeit it a slim one.

Duquesne played 5 unranked teams they couldn't beat. Certainly UConn is better than all of those 5. In 2 of their losses, they only scored 48 & 52 points. Who's to say they can't replicate that same effort tonight on the biggest stage they've played in all year? Look for the Huskies to come out smoking like they did against Robert Morris. This one may get ugly real fast. One word keeps coming into my consciousness over and over as I ponder what will happen in tonight's game. That word: Blitzkrieg.

Blitzkrieg - A German term for “lightning war,” blitzkrieg is a military tactic designed to create disorganization among enemy forces through the use of mobile forces and locally concentrated firepower. Its successful execution results in short military campaigns, which preserves human lives and limits the expenditure of artillery. Carnac's prediction for tonight: UConn 95 - Duquesne 45. Enjoy the game everyone.

I was very close on my prediction (95-45) of tonight's final score of 97-51. I'm getting there. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Polly!!
I love it when Polly gets in to the game and so does Tierney. I'm kind of bummed that Polly is a senior and is graduating. Tierney is still a junior. I think both are on the team with schollies, is that correct? I wonder if Polly could work on her masters and stay on the team next year? I don't recall if she was a sophomore when she joined the team and not sure how many years eligibility she might have left... But the 2 of them are great stories...

Reaction Score
I love it when Polly gets in to the game and so does Tierney. I'm kind of bummed that Polly is a senior and is graduating. Tierney is still a junior. I think both are on the team with schollies, is that correct? I wonder if Polly could work on her masters and stay on the team next year? I don't recall if she was a sophomore when she joined the team and not sure how many years eligibility she might have left... But the 2 of them are great stories...
Yes, as far as I know both girls, originally walk-ons when we had a dearth of warm bodies a few years ago, are now scholarship players.

There are many unknowns (from my perspective) when it comes to Briana (Polly). She arrived at UConn on a track scholarship that was later converted to a basketball scholarship. But why? Why didn't she just keep her track scholarship. I read somewhere that she was forced to give up her track schollie even though she was still on the track team. Say what? Why not just write the rules on the Enigma machine so we really can't understand them?

I imagine she and Tierney must be close even though they seem like polar opposites on the court: Briana light, enjoying the moment; Tierney, intense, focused, serious as a cholera outbreak.

Reaction Score
Yes, as far as I know both girls, originally walk-ons when we had a dearth of warm bodies a few years ago, are now scholarship players.

There are many unknowns (from my perspective) when it comes to Briana (Polly). She arrived at UConn on a track scholarship that was later converted to a basketball scholarship. But why? Why didn't she just keep her track scholarship. I read somewhere that she was forced to give up her track schollie even though she was still on the track team. Say what? Why not just write the rules on the Enigma machine so we really can't understand them?

I imagine she and Tierney must be close even though they seem like polar opposites on the court: Briana light, enjoying the moment; Tierney, intense, focused, serious as a cholera outbreak.
I think that answer is easy. It freed up a scholly for track, and the BB scholly had a lot more bennies.

Reaction Score

There was a lot of discussion here a while back. The NCAA requires the "major" sport use its scholarship on the player, otherwise (example) track scholarships could be used to stock the hoops (or football) team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Upon further reflection.....Coach Burt said all the right things during his presser. As a leader of his team, he had to show confidence, and a little swagger in front of his team and supporters.

Post game comments - I'm getting closer........ I said that UConn would show Duquesne things they had not seen this year. All of a sudden (about the 6 minute mark in the 2nd quarter), the high energy the Dukes brought to the floor began to erode. Here's an excerpt form an article featuring comments from two of the Duquesne players after the game:

"The physicality that they brought is just unbelievable," Duquesne guard April Robinson said. "Obviously, they scout us just as much as we scout them, so they were blowing up some of our plays.
We kind of got in scattered situations." Said Duquesne's Emilie Gronas: "We would get tired, and when we got tired, it became harder to make shots". This one wasn't hard to call. They hadn't seen a top 10 team all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom