Duke looking for more 1st place votes? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke looking for more 1st place votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Today is an excellent example of how Geno does his best to keep the score down.

64 points in the first half. 36 in the second. UConn could have easily scored 60+ in the second half if they wanted.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
As a Terp alum and having been raised in CT, there is a lot to not like about Duke from a fan/fanatic perspective. However, I can't fault them for doing what they think best prepares them for the games that matter. They have a big monkey on their back with respect to UConn. Pressing hard, creating TOs and trying to get UConn to make dumb plays will be among the top keys for them in the game. They are getting ready for it. Can't blame them.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As a Terp alum and having been raised in CT, there is a lot to not like about Duke from a fan/fanatic perspective. However, I can't fault them for doing what they think best prepares them for the games that matter. They have a big monkey on their back with respect to UConn. Pressing hard, creating TOs and trying to get UConn to make dumb plays will be among the top keys for them in the game. They are getting ready for it. Can't blame them.
I don't believe that pressing hard at the end of the game when you are up 60 prepares you for anything.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that pressing hard at the end of the game when you are up 60 prepares you for anything.
Actually in Duke's case it does. The coach has been harping on the team to keep up the intensity for the entire game. They have been guilty in the past for letting the intensity drop especially in last years Uconn game in the second half. They have and intend to use their depth this year to wear down the opposition. Have a lot of new players and players returning from injuries to absorb into the team chemistry so it's not like they have a set roster past their starting five. You will play how you practice and if those easy games are used as practice there should be no coasting by any player while they are on the court.

Reaction Score
UConn has done it. The 2009 game against Syracuse is one obvious example. There was no need to have Maya Moore in the game until less than five minutes left and still chucking up 3's in the second half when they were up 30, 40 points. Your idea of working on the half court set is another's running up the score.
Oh, please. That Syracuse game was a far outlier from UConn's regular play. In fact, in almost 20 years of watching this team, I have never ever seen Geno leave a starter in like that, before or since. "Bad blood" barely begins to describe it; Geno had the players wanted to make a statement about the roughhouse style of basketball that Syracuse was playing, and they did it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually in Duke's case it does. The coach has been harping on the team to keep up the intensity for the entire game. They have been guilty in the past for letting the intensity drop especially in last years Uconn game in the second half. They have and intend to use their depth this year to wear down the opposition. Have a lot of new players and players returning from injuries to absorb into the team chemistry so it's not like they have a set roster past their starting five. You will play how you practice and if those easy games are used as practice there should be no coasting by any player while they are on the court.
First of all, there is no team that is going to full court press for an entire game. So why not work on it 10-12 minutes or so in the first half while building the big lead? Geno also requires 100% effort every second each player is on the floor. Have you ever seen a UCONN team do that? How would you have felt watching UCONN FC press Monmouth or BU the last 4 minutes of the game?

Second, Requiring 100% effort is not the same as throwing a press on the other team at the end of the game...

I actually like McCallie and am willing to give Duke the benefit of the doubt. I did not watch the game and would love to hear from Duke fans - is this something McCallie pulls out at the end of blowout games? I certainly hope not.

Reaction Score
Don't think so Sandiego. I put it in context with her mentioning that they need to learn to keep up their focus and intensity. They do have a lot of new players to work into the line up.

Reaction Score
UCONN does let up.... even against good teams. If they didn't, what do you think last season's 30 point win against Duke would have been.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't think so Sandiego. I put it in context with her mentioning that they need to learn to keep up their focus and intensity. They do have a lot of new players to work into the line up.
I have not seen a team wear down a UCONN team in over a decade. Simply cannot be done. There is no team in WCBB that is in as good condition as UCONN. Teams that try always pay the price. Remember 40 minutes of dread, Kentucky was the only team dragging.The Stanford, Maryland, PSU stretch with UCONN having only 7 available recruited players available should answer any questions about being able to do that this year.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Good lord. As if UConn hasn't blown out an opponent before. There have been plenty of games where UConn scores 100+. Come on guys, we've seen UConn up by 40-50 points at the half on some hapless school. You don't build and maintain that kind of margin by "letting off the gas." Besides, this isn't college football, so there are no style points in WCBB. Duke can get all the first place votes they want if they can beat UConn, which this year they have a decent shot at doing if Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck are still out.
FWIW if Duke beats UConn without KML and MTuck out of the lineup I don't think they're number 1. They may get the votes to be number 1 in the polls but at fun strength UConn is 99% unbeatable this season. Do I think UConn will lose at Duke without KML and MTuck 100%....guess

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have not seen a team wear down a UCONN team in over a decade. Simply cannot be done. There is no team in WCBB that is in as good condition as UCONN. Teams that try always pay the price. Remember 40 minutes of dread, Kentucky was the only team dragging.The Stanford, Maryland, PSU stretch with UCONN having only 7 available recruited players available should answer any questions about being able to do that this year.
I'm not sure that there are not other teams in as good condition. No one is going to wear RU down either. But they are near the top.

I think that Geno is very careful in who he plays (getting as much rest as possible for a player that needs it) and I think he runs a style (and I have always said this, not related to conditioning) that is very economical of wasted motion. I was watching a UConn game once a lot of years ago and came to the conclusion that, ultimately, every offensive action in the half court set was a constant working towards scoring a basket. On the defensive side, every move was designed to place the UConn player in a position to interfere with the other team's offense. The opponent (someone good and not RU) ran around like a chicken without a head on defense, and on offense chucked the ball around "hoping" to find a shot somewhere. And whoever you were playing, it was no blowout - just a tremendous difference in the how.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You forget Maya running around waving her arms. ;)

Reaction Score
What UCONN does has taken 29 years to build and to make it look easy. But, its not, I wish that Duke show up and play their best and let the chips fall where they will. There are 23 days to the big game and the way DUKE is looking at it, they might be done before the game takes place. To this UCONN team, its just another TV game and to see how they are doing. All the pressure is on Duke not UCONN......UCONN might be short 2 key players, but I have a funny feeling, they will still win BIG...........

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with scoring. But I read on the Duke board (I didn't see the game) that the Devils pressed the entire game. I would think the subs needed work on half court defense too?

Maybe they needed work on pressing.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
The line is drawn outside those better restaurants where Duke waiters work. They are excellent but slow and the line backs up.

The problem is they don't seem to move laterally when serving. They just move up and down and drone. That doesn't make for good service. Hence the lack of tips.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Really, who cares? Geno has always said he doesn't want his team to practice playing less well. What matters is how Duke performs when they play UCONN. A few first place votes; who cares? That is what losing programs look at. If Duke is pursuing that, fine. They would be lucky to score 50 against us.

Reaction Score
Really, who cares? Geno has always said he doesn't want his team to practice playing less well. What matters is how Duke performs when they play UCONN. A few first place votes; who cares? That is what losing programs look at. If Duke is pursuing that, fine. They would be lucky to score 50 against us.
Don't look now, but Monmouth put up almost 50 on UConn yesterday. I'm thinking Duke is slightly better than Monmouth.

Reaction Score
Good lord. As if UConn hasn't blown out an opponent before. There have been plenty of games where UConn scores 100+. Come on guys, we've seen UConn up by 40-50 points at the half on some hapless school. You don't build and maintain that kind of margin by "letting off the gas." Besides, this isn't college football, so there are no style points in WCBB. Duke can get all the first place votes they want if they can beat UConn, which this year they have a decent shot at doing if Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck are still out.

You really can't see the difference between blowing a team out in the 1st half then calling off the dogs which UCONN does, vs. Duke blowing a team out in the 1st half (60-18) then keep pressing and piling it on in the 2nd half? Believe it or not - I might understand it. But I don't understand YOUR post. UCONN does let off the gas. Unless you think there is no such thing as a blwouts vs. lettign off the gas? IS that what you are saying? You seem like a UCONN fan but you don't understand that UCONN let's off the gas for a near enitre 2nd half when they get a lead similar to what Duke had? Really?

You mean you don't see that they pull their press from 1st half to 2nd half? You don't see they don't push the ball as much? There have been some UCONN teams from our past that have been offensively challenged so they may continue to push the ball a bit. But I seriously doubt even then with a 40 pt halftime lead we did that. But again- maybe she feels her team can wear down the Huskies? And/Or maybe she feels she needs 10 players and was playing different combos? But that is different than your comment of halftime vs full game which is why I don't understand why you bring up halftime blowuts by UCONN and specifically compare that to entire full game blowouts from Duke.

Reaction Score
I understand scoring 60 points in the first half.

But to score 40 in the first 11 minutes of the second half is just disgusting.

Sorry Triad.
I thought about your comment last night and I realized something. Duke really doesn't have the amount of experience dominating an opponent like UCONN does. So expecting the coaching staff and players to be able to reign in their skill set when they thoroughly dominate an opponent is really quite unfair. When Duke gets a chance to roll up some points.... let them roll..... it might be a while before they get a chance to do it again.

Reaction Score

Interesting. You think Duke is going to try to wear down our 4 guards at the 1/2/3 positions? Maybe her startegy of a full court open game can lead to more fouls being called? Then maybe if they get Stewie into foul trouble and our gaurds wearing down, we'd melt a bit down the stretch?

Just curious how is Duke's 3pt shooting?

Reaction Score
I thought about your comment last night and I realized something. Duke really doesn't have the amount of experience dominating an opponent like UCONN does. So expecting the coaching staff and players to be able to reign in their skill set when they thoroughly dominate an opponent is really quite unfair. When Duke gets a chance to roll up some points.... let them roll..... it might be a while before they get a chance to do it again.

I don't agree. But I guess it depends on when how long it will before another wipeout you say "it might be a while before they get a chance to do it again."
Just look at last year and year before. They had some ugly blowouts.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22762&DB_LANG=C&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&Q_SEASON=2012
http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22762&DB_LANG=C&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&Q_SEASON=2011

Reaction Score
I understand scoring 60 points in the first half.

But to score 40 in the first 11 minutes of the second half is just disgusting.

Sorry Triad.
You really need to let it go. What goes around, comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom