DT Needs Help Losing to Billie Jean King in ESPN Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Voted, 50-50 right now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back to 50/50

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on the title to this thread 'DT needs help losing ...' are you advocating a vote for BJK?! :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Love DT. Just voted for her. No shame in losing to BJK IMO if the votes don't go DT's way.

Reaction Score
The fact that Mia Hamm routed Anika Sorenstam in the first round, tells you everything you need to know about the validity of such polls.

Why?

Hamm is one of the top few soccer players of all-time, a sport played in a lot more countries than golf. She retired as the all-time leading international scorer, was FIFA POY on several occasions, 5-time US soccer POY, starred on two World Cup champions and two Olympic champions, etc, etc. Also led her college team to four NCAA championships.

Not to take anything away from Sorenstam, but I would vote for Hamm if I had to choose.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why?

Hamm is one of the top few soccer players of all-time, a sport played in a lot more countries than golf. She retired as the all-time leading international scorer, was FIFA POY on several occasions, 5-time US soccer POY, starred on two World Cup champions and two Olympic champions, etc, etc. Also led her college team to four NCAA championships.

Not to take anything away from Sorenstam, but I would vote for Hamm if I had to choose.
I agree, that wouldn't even be close.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Why?

Simply because you can make a good argument that Sorenstam was the best women's golfer of all time. As you say, Hamm is one of the best - but I think Sorenstam was the best. It's a tough comparison, because soccer is a team sport, is played almost universally (as you note), and requires far more pure athleticism. Golf is a one-person sport, can be played for a much longer career, and may be the toughest sport, mentally. It's a tough comparison.

Reaction Score
My vote is in. It's now 55-45. The power and influence of the Boneyard shouldn't be underestimated:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Simply because you can make a good argument that Sorenstam was the best women's golfer of all time. As you say, Hamm is one of the best - but I think Sorenstam was the best. It's a tough comparison, because soccer is a team sport, is played almost universally (as you note), and requires far more pure athleticism. Golf is a one-person sport, can be played for a much longer career, and may be the toughest sport, mentally. It's a tough comparison.
You'd first have to make the argument that a golfer is an athlete. Hamm, in a landslide. I'm surprised it was a close as it was.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
You'd first have to make the argument that a golfer is an athlete. Hamm, in a landslide. I'm surprised it was a close as it was.
Well, just speaking for myself, over the course of my life, I've played football, basketball, soccer, wrestled, a little tennis, a little squash, hockey, a little swimming, slow-pitch softball .. and, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I currently golf and ski. I coached girl's fast-pitch softball for 20 years, coached a little soccer, a little basketball.

For me, the hardest sport,physically, was wrestling. The sport I played to the highest level was soccer. The sport I was the worst at was squash. Best at, probably football when young, now probably golf. Most enjoyable, coaching softball. I find golf to be, mentally, one of the most demanding sports - or games, if you prefer. Endlessly enjoyable, though, because the golf course is never the same - it's alive (literally). Wind, temperature, moisture, sun, they all change constantly, and force you to think, and adapt. The physical coordination required is not easy, either.

Certainly not as physically demanding as many sports, but, if you've ever walked 18 holes, toting or pushing a full bag, you've just gone for a 5 mile walk, moving roughly 25 pounds the whole way, up and down. Do that on a nice hot summer day, you'll feel it (I once lost 11 pounds walking 18 holes in VA in July - that's a lot of sweat).

Now, if you're talking one of those ... let's say "chunky" .. 30-somethings who can't do 9 holes without a power cart and a six-pack, well, that's not the game I'm accustomed to.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For me, the hardest sport,physically, was wrestling.
My son wrestled, and I would agree. He found the other sports he did much less physically demanding.

I find golf to be, mentally, one of the most demanding sports - or games, if you prefer. Endlessly enjoyable, though, because the golf course is never the same - it's alive (literally). Wind, temperature, moisture, sun, they all change constantly, and force you to think, and adapt. The physical coordination required is not easy, either.
Yes, I agree, can be mentally taxing (like chess) and very technical skillwise. Not as technical as say hitting a moving object, but on the other hand you do have to try to hit it to certain places.

Certainly not as physically demanding as many sports, but, if you've ever walked 18 holes, toting or pushing a full bag, you've just gone for a 5 mile walk,
Exactly. (at about a 1.5 mph pace ;))

I consider it to be more an activity, like chess, darts, bowling. You don't necessarily have to be athletic to play it. Certainly can help if you are, but not really a requirement.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How is Jackie Joyner Kersee a #7 seed and Taurasi a 2 seed ? :confused:

These brackets look to be a joke in a few cases.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, just speaking for myself, over the course of my life, I've played football, basketball, soccer, wrestled, a little tennis, a little squash, hockey, a little swimming, slow-pitch softball .. and, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I currently golf and ski. I coached girl's fast-pitch softball for 20 years, coached a little soccer, a little basketball.

For me, the hardest sport,physically, was wrestling. The sport I played to the highest level was soccer. The sport I was the worst at was squash. Best at, probably football when young, now probably golf. Most enjoyable, coaching softball. I find golf to be, mentally, one of the most demanding sports - or games, if you prefer. Endlessly enjoyable, though, because the golf course is never the same - it's alive (literally). Wind, temperature, moisture, sun, they all change constantly, and force you to think, and adapt. The physical coordination required is not easy, either.

Certainly not as physically demanding as many sports, but, if you've ever walked 18 holes, toting or pushing a full bag, you've just gone for a 5 mile walk, moving roughly 25 pounds the whole way, up and down. Do that on a nice hot summer day, you'll feel it (I once lost 11 pounds walking 18 holes in VA in July - that's a lot of sweat).

Now, if you're talking one of those ... let's say "chunky" .. 30-somethings who can't do 9 holes without a power cart and a six-pack, well, that's not the game I'm accustomed to.
I played rugby for one year and found it to be the most physically challenging - being in the scrum was similar in intense physical exertion to wrestling - but with more bodies! Add in running non-stop up and down a soccer pitch, and tackling or attempting to break tackles like football without the blocking or the constant huddles. Madness.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The fact that Mia Hamm routed Anika Sorenstam in the first round, tells you everything you need to know about the validity of such polls.
That's a FIRST-round matchup??

Reaction Score
Babe Zaharias and Jackie Joyner Kersee maybe in the top 25 athletes of all time,
men or women!
I looked at some of the matchups and I agree the seeding was screwy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom