double standard? cant help but ask the "yards" thoughts | The Boneyard

double standard? cant help but ask the "yards" thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sky high on KO and our boys and cant help but think... " we are here to stay"... and I hate to post anything like this during such an exciting time for us fans...

but I cant stop wondering why certain programs get free passes and as Husky lifer I feel like we constantly get screwed by the media.. especially you know who...

I will be very blunt. All statements below are factual and not rumor.

What if Uconn in the last 2 years:
1. lied about a center's reason for leaving before the NCAA tourney last year (who also abused a women not a rumor 100% fact),
- had a starting guard this year get publicly and without debate caught stealing from a mall without University comment, accountablity and/or public disdain for such immoral behavior. , had a player "indefinatyly, suspended from

Reaction Score
sorry i some things I had to do right in the middle of finishing this post. so here is the entire post::

Imagine if all this actually happened>>>

1. Our center all of a sudden left last year before the NCAA tourney and then we lied about the reason for his leaving the school - while the truth was withheld and really yet to be made public ( and what if this player was also involved in a documented case involving abuse against a female..)
2. What if this year Uconn had a starting guard get publicly and without debate caught stealing from a Mall without University Comment, accountability and/or public acknowledgment. And We never sat him out 1 game to show that the program had ethical responsibility to the development of our students? What if our next game was super important - even though it was against a mediocre team from the Midwest. We could always have our coach refuse to make any statement regarding this and I am sure it would be "cool". I bet if we just tell everyone there was a fine and nothing else we should be alset.
3.. What if Uconn had a player "indefinitely, suspended for "unknown and unspecified" academic issues? We wouldn't need to elaborate - that would be enough... *** btw - "this imaginary player would be a NBA player next year if you had come to UCONN.." JUST saying..

Well again... just saying... no one school could get away with that!

PS:: Bazz will pick #2 player above (who is way overated) 4 times this year in our win...

KO - BE coach of the year!!

PPS: MORE Giffey.

Reaction Score
I have thought about why UConn seems to have a target on their back while other programs/coaches seem to get a free pass. To me, the answer is two-fold.
1. UConns overwhelming success in the Big East, NCAA tournament, and sending our kids to the NBA caught the blue bloods by surprise and completely disrupted the old boys network. We stormed the scene so quickly and took success away from programs that were otherwise used to the spotlight and that was met with resentment not accolade.
2. Coach Calhoun. In terms of a national landscape, Coach Calhoun is like George Steinbrenner and/or the Yankees; you either love or hate him. While everyone in Storrs adores Coach Calhoun and what he meant to the school, program and state, the same qualities that made him succeed also rubbed many people the wrong way. I am not sure any of us or Coach really cared about national perception, but his "chip on the shoulder, kid from southie" did not help in terms of how the "old boys" in the NCAA offices or presidents from power conferences viewed how we achieved our success.

Reaction Score
I have thought about why UConn seems to have a target on their back while other programs/coaches seem to get a free pass. To me, the answer is two-fold.
1. UConns overwhelming success in the Big East, NCAA tournament, and sending our kids to the NBA caught the blue bloods by surprise and completely disrupted the old boys network. We stormed the scene so quickly and took success away from programs that were otherwise used to the spotlight and that was met with resentment not accolade.
2. Coach Calhoun. In terms of a national landscape, Coach Calhoun is like George Steinbrenner and/or the Yankees; you either love or hate him. While everyone in Storrs adores Coach Calhoun and what he meant to the school, program and state, the same qualities that made him succeed also rubbed many people the wrong way. I am not sure any of us or Coach really cared about national perception, but his "chip on the shoulder, kid from southie" did not help in terms of how the "old boys" in the NCAA offices or presidents from power conferences viewed how we achieved our success.

There are some out there who have admired Calhoun for #2. Please include me in this list. Being tough-minded is how Louisville became "noticed" as Crum cheekily screwed with UK perceptions in Louisville, right from the first day. Being nice doesn't cut it when you battle Old Line programs who like and use every advantage being historical figures represents.

Blazing a new trail right out of whole cloth as Calhoun did was HOF program-building of a ferocious and ultimately ridiculously successful force of basketball nature - one which is at this very moment proving to have a worthy successor. Why? Because, in spite of small pecadillo's on the recruiting or personal trail (all infinitesimal compared to UK or even KU), it will transfer over to what many of us who admire Ollie - to your brilliant "next guy". That's handing over the keys to the Rolls Royce to someone we feel is a worthy driver.

How about a similarity - Louisville has never - ever - been ranked #1 in the polls during a regular season. Not ever. Say what you will about perceptions and the rest - go ahead and include 2 NC Trophies, lol, and 8 Final Fours. It has never happened in one of the weirdest factoids of hoops.

Personally, there is a part of me that relishes this. It can be motivating and a lifetime chip on the shoulder for those who give a dam. And, believe me - there's nothing wrong with that. We'll see it again this football season, too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
To the good ole boy network we aren't like the Yankees, we are actual yankees.

That's enough for some, add in JC's blue collar who gives a what you think attitude and there you go. It's amazing how much of the NCAA actions and attitudes are political. IU gets caught defying sanctions, nothing. UNC, nothing. Auburn, nothing. USC, housed. Uconn, housed retroactively over nothing. We'll what Miami gets. Anything short of a USC/PSU like scholarship and bowl ban would be hypocritical. A good case could be made for the death penalty as a habitual offender.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
By the way, for those of you who wonder why I apparently "like" the UConn program so much, the reasons are implicit in the statement above. Our programs each emerged from the shadows of the self-proclaimed Giants and our routes were similarly hard-fought.

I have always thought this, admiring JC from the distance applying to us in the CUSA or whatever conference it was we were in when you first emerged like Salvador Dali from Gaia's egg, lol. Any vilification of UConn has been the desperate attacks of the nervous who feel threatened any time a blue blood fails to win. The exceptionalism offered by fans and the media are patently obvious to anyone with the (apparently rare) ability to see the bias and from where it originates.

My heart is truly broken over losing this conference rivalry in the future. I was never happy about losing what I always felt was our best and most hard-fought "new" rivalry. Syracuse dopes not come close to my personal feelings about our mutuality and the tension we almost always seem to create on the floor. I feel the sport just lost something worthwhile, competitive and wholesome as crap.

My recollection is that UConn fans have enjoyed this rivalry as much as I have. You treated us with some excitement and respect from the first days we joined the Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is combination of factors and certainly Jim's abrasive nature and the whole 'Yankee' thing plays into it.

In other location the press, to the extent it covers the local program at all, tends to be a media, marketing arm for the program, many members of the Horde, however, delight in being critical of the program. Jeff Jacobs is justifiably disliked on this board. His columns full of half truths and outright fabrications get picked up and circulated. Have you ever seen him come back later and admit he's wrong later? He consistently twists things to be as negative as possible against the university, all because he has Calhoun penis envy. His columns are frequently at best shoddy and typically an abuse of his position.

Another big factor is Emmert's dislike on an institution that he from which he was fired. He's taken us to task on much smaller things than other universities get a pass on. UConn had one year in particular in which transfers and early exits to the pro basketball hur our APR. The NCAA used that single year to punish us twice. Meanwhile UNC gets a pass for no show classes.

Finally, football drives the bus. We are not a football power. That makes us a pretender to be torn down in the eyes of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom