Double-digit victories | The Boneyard

Double-digit victories

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Remember the fun we had back in the day of "Tina's team" which went undefeated? That caused many a post about comparing that team to the 2002 undefeated squad. Some said the difference was that 2002 only had an 8 point victory over Virginia Tech, so it was not the better team, since Tina's squad had only double-digit victories.

My question: Will our team today win all games by 10 or more? Or how 'bout a record 15 or more?

What say ye?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Remember the fun we had back in the day of "Tina's team" which went undefeated? That caused many a post about comparing that team to the 2002 undefeated squad. Some said the difference was that 2002 only had an 8 point victory over Virginia Tech, so it was not the better team, since Tina's squad had only double-digit victories.

My question: Will our team today win all games by 10 or more? Or how 'bout a record 15 or more?

What say ye?

I say beware the mojo.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm in. Like our chances for undefeated and 10+

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The amazin thing about this team is theyre beating teams with 2 star players on the bench. When KML and MTuck get back they will be almost unbeatable. Here is the difference. Geno has to call off the dogs with this team not to over kill them. How many more points could they score if everybody was healthy and played hard every minute without calling off the press and without stopping the break????? Something to think about. Healthy this team is unbeatable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Tony--did I just say that?!--if this team is healthy, it is unbeatable.

I think all double-digit victories are possible, but there are some tough games to play, especially at Duke. The margin is secondary, the victory is paramount.

The 2009 team included some pretty good players in addition to Tina. Renee was a 2x AA and Naismith winner. And Maya was a 4x AA, 3 time Wade winner, and record holder of 150 wins.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I see nothing wrong with discussing the chances of UCONN winning every game by 5, 10, 15, 20, or whatever. There's a difference between arrogance ("No way does UCONN lose a single game this year by less than 15"), and confidence ("If this team gets KML and Morgan back at 100%, and there are no other injuries, there's no reason they shouldn't win every game this season by more than 10 PPG").

Mojo is a superstitious concept that is not reality. However, there's nothing wrong with respecting it. I just don't see the point in fearing it.

Merriam Webster defines mojo as " a power that may seem magical and that allows someone to be very effective, successful, etc."

While we may see our team as "magical", the reality is it's filled with incredibly talented, smart, and gifted players who are 100% committed to the team first concept and who strive to work together maximizing the strengths of the team while masking the weaknesses. And they are all fantastic kids to boot.

Reaction Score
I see nothing wrong with discussing the chances of UCONN winning every game by 5, 10, 15, 20, or whatever. There's a difference between arrogance ("No way does UCONN lose a single game this year by less than 15"), and confidence ("If this team gets KML and Morgan back at 100%, and there are no other injuries, there's no reason they shouldn't win every game this season by more than 10 PPG").

Mojo is a superstitious concept that is not reality. However, there's nothing wrong with respecting it. I just don't see the point in fearing it.

Merriam Webster defines mojo as " a power that may seem magical and that allows someone to be very effective, successful, etc."

While we may see our team as "magical", the reality is it's filled with incredibly talented, smart, and gifted players who are 100% committed to the team first concept and who strive to work together maximizing the strengths of the team while masking the weaknesses. And they are all fantastic kids to boot.
100% correct. However I know many people project their own superstitions onto whatever happens to be in the discussion. If I were a betting man, I'd bet most of the house they will go undefeated AND win every game by at least 15 points- additional injuries as the only real proviso on the bet......

Reaction Score
On a related note I was comparing 1995, 2002, 2009, 2010 on MoV vs. top 25 opponents (ranking at the time).

I was doing this quickly, so I can't guarantee the results. But, here's what I came up with:

1995--19 pt margin vs. ranked opponents
2002--21
2009--28 (HOLY COW!!!)
2010--26

I would say our 18 point avg margin against three top 15 programs without KML and Tuck (and two out of three games on the road) compares reasonably well with what those teams accomplished.

Have to say that I was blown away by the average 28 point margin vs. ranked opponents by the 2009 team.

Reaction Score

What say ye?

I'll try to answer the question.
YES!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
After Duke we are still on target for wins by 15+...likely tested when we meet Notre Dame & Tenn in the Final Four. Ho-Ho-Ho such a record will that be.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Moriah Jefferson keeps emerging, the Mo-Bria-KML-Stewie-Stef lineup, when 100%, represents just too many weapons. As it was, the "too many weapons" issue seemed too much for Duke last night, Given that, it's not far-fetched to think double-digit victories are a real possibility. I see a game at Yum! Center as a distinct possibility to be closer than it should be. And of course, there's always the "everyone loses their collective minds for a stretch" scenario like NC game 2010 against Stanford.

Reaction Score
I don't believe any team is ever invincible, but there is no denying UConn has a chance to be one of the great all time teams this season. That said, I think the other top teams besides Duke may pose more of a challenge to UConn as the season goes on for a couple reasons:
1. It's easier to prep for a team once there is a lot of film to look at rather than just focusing on yourself and tipping off. Obviously one thing to be learned is not to play zone (!!!!!!!) against you with the three point shooting prowess on that team.

2. And this is jut a possibility so don't thrash me for it. As the season goes on an UConn players continue to play such a high octane level of minutes, they could get gassed.

3. Obviously anything can happen any game. No win is ever guaranteed: That's why we watch sports. Best of luck on your season, however I truly hope you lose to the Lady Vols in the NC game.

Reaction Score
If healthy I think we have a 50/50 shot. Chances for 40-0 if we're healthy are very, very high.

Reaction Score
2. And this is jut a possibility so don't thrash me for it. As the season goes on an UConn players continue to play such a high octane level of minutes, they could get gassed.
I love having other teams fans on the board and I'm truly glad to see the Vols back in the mix.

However you are off base on this one point. Given the number of blowouts on tap, the high octane minutes will be very much the exception, not the rule. Assuming of course we stay healthy.

Hopefully that doesn't count as thrashing!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't believe any team is ever invincible, but there is no denying UConn has a chance to be one of the great all time teams this season. That said, I think the other top teams besides Duke may pose more of a challenge to UConn as the season goes on for a couple reasons:
1. It's easier to prep for a team once there is a lot of film to look at rather than just focusing on yourself and tipping off. Obviously one thing to be learned is not to play zone (!!!!!!!) against you with the three point shooting prowess on that team.

3. Obviously anything can happen any game. No win is ever guaranteed: That's why we watch sports. Best of luck on your season, however I truly hope you lose to the Lady Vols in the NC game.

1. Duke had over a week to prepare for Uconn. More time than any NCAA tourney game. Every game is on TV, so there was plenty of film. Please play man-to-man. Your head will be spinning watching the back door plays.

2. High octane level of minutes? You mean playing hard all the time? It's just what they do. Number of minutes? With only a few tough games left before the tourney, the minutes will be fine. Gassed? You've been watching Tennessee too long. Uconn doesn't get gassed. Period.

3. Really? You post in a thread about how dominant Uconn will be and you post that you want them to lose to Tennessee. What a troll.

Reaction Score

In my opinion, the Lady Vols will have the most crucial game of the year when they face Stanford. If they lose it sets in motion a scenario where in order to get to Nashville the Lady Vols will have to go through Notre Dame, Stanford or Louisville on their home court, or worst case if they are the last #2 seed in the tournament, face UConn in Lincoln. Winning all of their remaining games, including the SEC title, may still not prevent the above scenario to put the Lady Vols in a near impossible road to travel.

Reaction Score
1. Duke had over a week to prepare for Uconn. More time than any NCAA tourney game. Every game is on TV, so there was plenty of film. Please play man-to-man. Your head will be spinning watching the back door plays.

2. High octane level of minutes? You mean playing hard all the time? It's just what they do. Number of minutes? With only a few tough games left before the tourney, the minutes will be fine. Gassed? You've been watching Tennessee too long. Uconn doesn't get gassed. Period.

3. Really? You post in a thread about how dominant Uconn will be and you post that you want them to lose to Tennessee. What a troll.

I agree with the content of your points 1 and 2, but come on, you can't honestly blame someone named "VolFan" for expressing that they want to see Tennessee beat us in the championship game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with the content of your points 1 and 2, but come on, you can't honestly blame someone named "VolFan" for expressing that they want to see Tennessee beat us in the championship game.
There are other better places to express that sentiment.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Blame them? No. But doesn't that go without saying . I mean, I didn't think they would want Uconn to win that game.

And on this board and in this thread? A little rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom