Doris Burke is starting to bother me a lot, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Doris Burke is starting to bother me a lot,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
DB can be a bit over the top sometimes especially when it comes to KML, Stewie and Jewell LLoyd (sp?). Overall, I thought more good than bad. Although she alluded to it rather than say it, she made a number of good points about Duke's issue being more about attitude than talent. It didn't look to me either that Duke thought it could win. That is a coaching issue as some have stated here. Would be real interesting if someday UConn gets into the ACC then having to face Duke, MD, ND, Louisville etc. on a regular basis. Perhaps familiarity and opportunity would lead to more confidence. That would be some conference tourney. At any rate, Duke isn't going to get over the hump unless they get that killer instinct. The fact that they kept saying it is just a game is one sign that they do not have it yet.
Really good points. One other point when interviewed Coach P didn't talk about Duke winning and kinda didn't want to get into it. That interview was in the Dishin and Swishin thread. If you notice year after year and there were a couple of hiccups UConn continues to get better continues to break their own records. They aspire to get better and it all starts with Geno. He hangs that carrot out there and his kids respond. Kinda funny that he never gives anybody anything for nothing. You have to earn it in practice. Now look at his results and look at coaches who make guarantees and who give stuff away. The kids appreciate the relentless hard work because of the rewards for their hard work. Geno was a immigrant who didn't have it easy growing up. His family came to this country for a better life. They worked hard and It seems he had good roots and now look at what he's accomplished. UConn kids are not handed anything they have to work for it and they appreciate it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thought experiment: Suppose last night (and for this season) Geno and his assistants had coached the Duke roster and Coach P had coached the UConn roster. My bet is that the Duke roster would have beat the UConn roster last night.

No way. The 3 most talented players on the floor played for UCONN (Stewey, KML, Dolson). Perhaps if you meant coached their whole careers, but UCONN talent definitely exceeds Duke talent by a good margin, as it stands right now.

The game would perhaps be a lot closer, but UCONN players are flat out better. Doesn't always mean they win, but on average.

For instance, I don't think Geno (vs JPM) is worth 25-30 point swing in this case.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I felt the remark by Burke that Steward looks ' Goofy' was a very condescending statement. I will refrain from making a remark in regard's to Burke's appearance!
Not at all. Geno has said she is goofy. And Burke wasn't talking about her facial looks, but rather her gait/movement. She doesn't look overly "athletic", but she is quite athletic.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not at all. Geno has said she is goofy. And Burke wasn't talking about her facial looks, but rather her gait/movement. She doesn't look overly "athletic", but she is quite athletic.

Yeah, she reminds me of inspector gadget. It's mostly because she is so long that she appears a little goofy. She's obviously super coordinated.

Griner appeared goofy too.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In a sports illustrated article after the NC it was said that the coaches nicknamed Stewart "Bambi" when she first arrived on campus. Same idea, I think. Long limbs, not always looking coordinated but with the potential to become elegant, graceful and powerful.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What was Doris Burke supposed to say?

Instead of saying, "Duke has too much talent to be getting beat this badly by UConn" (which is a true statement), should she have said, "Why does Duke continue to get blown out by UConn despite all of these great recruiting classes? At some point, you have to question the head coach because for all of these highly ranked players and truly elite recruits, her top-five teams are getting blown out by 25 points per game, every game, to UConn."

Doris Burke was much more politically correct and savvy in how she worded her comments.

Yes she was. Had she said what she really thought she would have been the subject of a nasty tweet soon thereafter.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Can't wait to hear what Doris Burke & Co have to say about Omar Calhoun's sister who will be attending Duke next year. Was kinda hoping she'd come & play here...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is more about Doris's tone of voice than the words. She speaks as if every word she utters is of the deepest profundity.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Yeah, she reminds me of inspector gadget. It's mostly because she is so long that she appears a little goofy. She's obviously super coordinated.

Griner appeared goofy too.

Ann Strother's nickname coming to UConn actually was Inspector Gadget. Wouldn't know that from looking at her now!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I felt the remark by Burke that Steward looks ' Goofy' was a very condescending statement. I will refrain from making a remark in regard's to Burke's appearance!
Not at all. I think she looks a little "goofy" when she move and she is a joy to watch.
Your backhanded comment on Doris' appearance is a little condescending don't you think?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not at all. I think she looks a little "goofy" when she move and she is a joy to watch.
Your backhanded comment on Doris' appearance is a little condescending don't you think?
Your comment on him being condescending to Doris was a little condescending, don't you think?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
No way. The 3 most talented players on the floor played for UCONN (Stewey, KML, Dolson). Perhaps if you meant coached their whole careers, but UCONN talent definitely exceeds Duke talent by a good margin, as it stands right now.

The game would perhaps be a lot closer, but UCONN players are flat out better. Doesn't always mean they win, but on average.

For instance, I don't think Geno (vs JPM) is worth 25-30 point swing in this case.

I don't want to either short change Geno or take Coach P off the hook, but there is a decided difference in talent. Especially speed and quickness.

Duke had no one who could keep up with either Moriah or Bria. Gray is a terrific player but by no means fast.

Duke's forwards are both good shooters but neither could guard Stewart. Williams is no match for Dolson. The UConn bench is stronger.

Duke defensive game plan (I'll be generous) seemed to be to pack the paint and take their chances with UConn perimeter shooters. Honestly, I don't think Ray Allen or Reggie Williams would knock down seven treys (like Kaleena amazingly did) after being absent for eight games. [No comment about her failure to adjust to reality.]

Duke, on offense, simply did not have what is needed, individually or as a team, to overcome the stifling UConn defense.

Yes, UConn was flat out better. On offense. On defense. And coaching.

Reaction Score
And by extension, the inferior coaching (or preparation) of McCallie. Side note - why does she insist on being called Coach P? Joanne P McCallie? Geno Luigi Auriemma? Coach L? That bugs me more than Doris, who I actually like.

Doris isn't afraid to criticize play by either team that is not good. She has a good eye for the game and instantly sees a mistake or flaw that I miss, and she does it on the spot with no instant replay. She may have a few phrases that people make fun of, but overall, she's honest and forthright, and calls it like she sees it, rarely sugar coating things.

I also noticed early on when the score was close that Joanne was coaching the players ALL THE TIME. She was incredibly intense calling out every minutia of play to the team. Once UCONN went on their first run and got the score up to 20-11, she pretty much squatted down and wasn't nearly as vocal (from what I could see). Seemed to me like she gave up even before her team did.
I agree. I think Doris does a great job.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Duke defensive game plan (I'll be generous) seemed to be to pack the paint and take their chances with UConn perimeter shooters. Honestly, I don't think Ray Allen or Reggie Williams would knock down seven treys (like Kaleena amazingly did) after being absent for eight games. [No comment about her failure to adjust to reality.]

This was inexplicable to me. I mean, I guess you could gamble that KML wouldn't be on form after having sat out. However, after she buried her first few, you might have wised up to the fact that the best shooter in the country is being left WIDE open in the corner.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the rest of Duke's schedule looks much more competitive than UConn's. Duke plays at Kentucky, ND twice, and Maryland. Then the ACC Tourney. I'm not complaining about UConn's schedule, it is what it is, but it is in Duke's benefit that they play more competitive games. Let's see what they do with it. The same could be said for Notre Dame. UConn may be really hurt by playing in a weak conference.

Just a random thought.

I'm not sure how this fit into the theme here. There have not been discussions about conferences, clearly the acc is a tougher turf then the aac. Do you mean that they will be playing conn-like teams a lot from here on- so while they cannot beat conn they might be able to beat conn-like teams? Or, after playing their touch schedule they will finally beat us when it really matter (presumably we will be wilthering away as a flower in a dried-out pot? When are going to put this view out to rest? I'm convinced that leagues are more about money and bragging rights. ND football is more famous then good (as in the best) but they are not in a conf. The adv. of the B10 or the acc for ucconn is and that they carry all the sports we play. NB. f. & i.hockey and other sports are placed in the BE, etc.

Back to uconn & duke. It was said by Voepal (sp) that there are major diff between the schools: Duke's coach downplayed the sig. of the game to the players- basically saying that uconn has had 30 yrs whilst she is in her 5th. They are new wine while we are old. Equally has impt., Voepel says you (players) get to put the uconn uniform on only after you have shown that you are willing to husle in practices as well as in games, on both side of the ball, etc. (paraphrasing).

Reaction Score
Thought experiment: Suppose last night (and for this season) Geno and his assistants had coached the Duke roster and Coach P had coached the UConn roster. My bet is that the Duke roster would have beat the UConn roster last night.

No way. Stewart, Dolson, Hartley and KML are just too good and on a roll.

Stewart should come out and play in the WNBA next year.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It is more about Doris's tone of voice than the words. She speaks as if every word she utters is of the deepest profundity.

Exactly! Ice, as always, you nailed it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Stewart should come out and play in the WNBA next year.

Just a reminder. There is no(t yet any) provision for female players to "come out" of college early to play in the WNBA.

Exceptionally talented (and ambitious) players may follow the example of Epiphanny Prince of Rutgers who IIRC "came out" of college early to play professionally in Europe.

For now, Stewie has no WNBA option. Geno (and we) can count on her playing for UConn for two more seasons.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the rest of Duke's schedule looks much more competitive than UConn's. Duke plays at Kentucky, ND twice, and Maryland. Then the ACC Tourney. I'm not complaining about UConn's schedule, it is what it is, but it is in Duke's benefit that they play more competitive games. Let's see what they do with it. The same could be said for Notre Dame. UConn may be really hurt by playing in a weak conference.

Just a random thought.
As if we had a choice? As long as Geno remains we'll be OK. Remember the state of the Big East before we won in 1995?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eh, so do half the poster on here.
Probably wouldn't enjoy their game call either.

BTW, the assigned word for the day at ESPN last Tuesday was, "compete."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22