Donyell to CCSU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donyell to CCSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some very nice posts. As a CCSU fan, I appreciate the support of Husky Nation. I just wanted to respond to give you guys a different perspective--a Central Connecticut perspective....things that we want UConn fans to know about life on the other side...
For starters, I'm old enough to remember when UConn wasn't good--when the Huskies were playing in the old Field House and lurking in the basement of the Big East. Wasn't that long ago actually. I'm bringing this up, not to create a riot in The Boneyard, but simply to remind some of you that programs can turn things around relatively quickly. We look to UConn as a perfect blueprint for success. That's what we want to see in New Britain. Are we talking National Championships? Well, no. We're talking about becoming a solid D-1 program who can compete. However, in order to do that, we need the State to be serious about supporting us as a D-1 program. The new Rec Center and remodel of Detrick Gym is a good start. I'd love to see Husky fans come and check things out when it's completed in 2017--just like many of us support you guys.
Secondly, it's tough for us to ask for your respect when the past few years have been God-awful. However, there was time--9-16 years ago--when we were the second best team in CT...and Central was ready to make that jump to a more respectable level. We remember almost knocking off Iowa St in the first round of the tourney, going into Providence and beating a Big East school, and burying UMass by 30. Those were the good days! Unfortunately, the bottom fell out and it was like a dagger through the heart of Blue Devil Nation.
Thirdly, yes there is in fact a "Blue Devil Nation." We are passionate about our university and loyal to our athletic teams. They always talk about being a "Central Guy." It really is true. Being a Central Guy is like being in the mafia--like it or not, there's no getting out!
Also, there's been some talk here about where CCSU would go as far as conference affiliation. The America East makes sense for so many reasons. The problem is football. Football would have to stay in the NEC. OR...Central would need to bite the bullet and try (beg?) to get into the CAA. Yeah, I know...tough jump at this point.
Finally, the new coach for MBB... The consensus of Blue Devil Nation was that we did not want Donyell. (Was that a gasp I just heard?! :) ) Our choice was Pat Sellers--a Central Guy. However, now that the decision has been made, we will support Donyell 100%. He will immediately be accepted as part of the family. As Central fans, all we ask of Husky Nation is to support us. No condescending comments. Come to a few games. Check out low-major D-1 basketball. You might actually like the experience...especially with your old friend leading the charge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some very nice posts. As a CCSU fan, I appreciate the support of Husky Nation. I just wanted to respond to give you guys a different perspective--a Central Connecticut perspective....things that we want UConn fans to know about life on the other side...
For starters, I'm old enough to remember when UConn wasn't good--when the Huskies were playing in the old Field House and lurking in the basement of the Big East. Wasn't that long ago actually. I'm bringing this up, not to create a riot in The Boneyard, but simply to remind some of you that programs can turn things around relatively quickly. We look to UConn as a perfect blueprint for success. That's what we want to see in New Britain. Are we talking National Championships? Well, no. We're talking about becoming a solid D-1 program who can compete. However, in order to do that, we need the State to be serious about supporting us as a D-1 program. The new Rec Center and remodel of Detrick Gym is a good start. I'd love to see Husky fans come and check things out when it's completed in 2017--just like many of us support you guys.
Secondly, it's tough for us to ask for your respect when the past few years have been God-awful. However, there was time--9-16 years ago--when we were the second best team in CT...and Central was ready to make that jump to a more respectable level. We remember almost knocking off Iowa St in the first round of the tourney, going into Providence and beating a Big East school, and burying UMass by 30. Those were the good days! Unfortunately, the bottom fell out and it was like a dagger through the heart of Blue Devil Nation.
Thirdly, yes there is in fact a "Blue Devil Nation." We are passionate about our university and loyal to our athletic teams. They always talk about being a "Central Guy." It really is true. Being a Central Guy is like being in the mafia--like it or not, there's no getting out!
Also, there's been some talk here about where CCSU would go as far as conference affiliation. The America East makes sense for so many reasons. The problem is football. Football would have to stay in the NEC. OR...Central would need to bite the bullet and try (beg?) to get into the CAA. Yeah, I know...tough jump at this point.
Finally, the new coach for MBB... The consensus of Blue Devil Nation was that we did not want Donyell. (Was that a gasp I just heard?! :) ) Our choice was Pat Sellers--a Central Guy. However, now that the decision has been made, we will support Donyell 100%. He will immediately be accepted as part of the family. As Central fans, all we ask of Husky Nation is to support us. No condescending comments. Come to a few games. Check out low-major D-1 basketball. You might actually like the experience...especially with your old friend leading the charge.

Except for two missed free throws some curmudgeons still harp on, you won't find a single person here with anything bad to say about 'Yell. You won't find a single person who isn't pulling for him. I hope Taliek gets on that staff, because I have a hunch he'll play really, really well in terms of getting some good inner city kids. Best of luck.

We also hope the program turns very quick, because that game has killed our RPI recently. And there's no chance of Ollie dropping that game with Donyell at the helm.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
About to get a huge recruit!

IzXCFUw.png

Something tells me Mr. Rowe picked the wrong "Blue Devils..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors