Donyell Marshall joining Steve Pikiell's staff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall joining Steve Pikiell's staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Personally I was hoping that SP would grab one of our former point guard assistants to add to his staff at Rutty, allowing us to grad Donyell.

Well, maybe Stony Brook will help us out bby taking their next head coach off our staff.

Reaction Score
Personally I was hoping that SP would grab one of our former point guard assistants to add to his staff at Rutty, allowing us to grad Donyell.

Well, maybe Stony Brook will help us out bby taking their next head coach off our staff.
How sad is it they we have to root for things like this because we know changes won't be made otherwise? With his defensive teaching and recent recruiting success I wouldn't want to lose Ricky but a big man coach for either Miller or Hobbs any day of the week.

Reaction Score
Well, let me give you credit for specifying my criticism with Glen is as a position coach not in his other coaching roles - although I am not happy about his romance with the match up zone.

At any rate, you must disagree with me because you have seen great developmental progress in Brimah, Facey and Nolan. Glen's track record is now 3 years long with these guys.

As for physical development - quite frankly my lying eyes!

Cut the crap, not one of them are any type of player to rely on for what has transpired from coaching, vastly overrated. Phil turned into the smartest of the 3 and was able to do things on defense to impact some games,, he wasn't ready to even do that when he came in. His offensive game was jump shots in HS and never had a clue on the low block, no coach was going to change that, NONE. Same with these other 2 how many times do we need to talk about their inabilities to understand how to play? AB 3 years in can not even get a jump hook to the rim (takes him 5 seconds to figure out how to begin to shoot it after 3 year of repetition), he should be able to do that by now without any coaching for crying out loud. It's on no coach for these guys, they aren't magicians. We need to bring more skilled and intelligent bigs (basketball-wise) who can learn under the tutelage of our staff.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling they will do very well and out Rutgers on the map. The facilities, area and conference are good! The young coach will get the players to make it work! #faith in their success. I will only route against them when and if they play UCONN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the basketball facilities at Rutgers were horrible. Other than that it should be at worst a decent job. Stuck between NYC & Philly, they should be able to field at worst a competent team while just barely trying. Rutty has turned sucking into an art form.

Reaction Score
Zagoria tweeted that he "jumped the gun on Donyell Marshall to Rutgers... Told thats not the case." Goodman says he interviewed for the HC job at Central. Guy really is paying his dues and seems to love coaching.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Cut the crap, not one of them are any type of player to rely on for what has transpired from coaching, vastly overrated. Phil turned into the smartest of the 3 and was able to do things on defense to impact some games,, he wasn't ready to even do that when he came in. His offensive game was jump shots in HS and never had a clue on the low block, no coach was going to change that, NONE. Same with these other 2 how many times do we need to talk about their inabilities to understand how to play? AB 3 years in can not even get a jump hook to the rim (takes him 5 seconds to figure out how to begin to shoot it after 3 year of repetition), he should be able to do that by now without any coaching for crying out loud. It's on no coach for these guys, they aren't magicians. We need to bring more skilled and intelligent bigs (basketball-wise) who can learn under the tutelage of our staff.
Yep! But you and I aren't magicians either and if it's easier for people to make generalized conclusions with limited data as opposed to in depth analysis so be it. The position you are refuting is very similar to the foolish statements made that JC can't recruit a center or win the big won. It was obviously premature but easy for people to sound correct and intelligent. It's fools gold the same way people so easily were able to say KO and staff can't recruit based on one recruiting class. They chose to ignore the sanctions and coaching change impacts. They did not evaluate all of the conditions involved. Or these coaches can't coach bigs. They are choosing to ignore what these coaches are working with.

Reaction Score
Really going out on a limb here. What swayed you? Ollie's national title or the fact that Rutgers is a dumpster fire?

Don't think for a moment that UConn not being in a power conference is going to have any affect on the future of the program. If Rutgers updates is basketball facilities and Pikiell can recruit the numerous high level Jersey recruits then he can slowly build that program but it will take 5 + years to do so. But they are in the Big Ten and UConn is in the AAC playing the likes of Tulsa and Central Florida....

Reaction Score
Miller sucks. The results don't lie.
Ollie has credited Miller with the free throw shooting success. Miller is the one who came up with the various free drills that UConn now uses. Miller also made adjustment to Brimah's free throw shooting technique which led to his improvement. Without superior FT shooting in 2014 there is no NC.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We have a whole thread about how Calipari is the worst, but really, Zagoria is the worst.

Reaction Score
We have a whole thread about how Calipari is the worst, but really, Zagoria is the worst.

He's just so unprofessional. He (or someone) did an interview with Kevin Willard after Gibbs transferred, and Zagoria took a quote so badly out of context and manipulated it to make it look like Willard was saying Gibbs couldn't handle the pressure at Seton Hall, when Willard wasn't talking about Gibbs at all, but rather just about NJ high school kids either wanting to or not wanting to play in NJ in college. He's an absolute hack.

Reactions: caw

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ollie has credited Miller with the free throw shooting success. Miller is the one who came up with the various free drills that UConn now uses. Miller also made adjustment to Brimah's free throw shooting technique which led to his improvement. Without superior FT shooting in 2014 there is no NC.

Miller is also our lead recruiting assistant when it comes to the NEPSAC, if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the basketball facilities at Rutgers were horrible. Other than that it should be at worst a decent job. Stuck between NYC & Philly, they should be able to field at worst a competent team while just barely trying. Rutty has turned sucking into an art form.
I have been there and the facilities did not look horrible to me. Now I have not been other places besides temple, Maryland, Georgetown and Uconn but I did not see anything that would rate Rutgers horrible compared to the others.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is, is that they have such a disdain for our program, but now that our boys are running the show, they think they'll be Uconn lite in a few years. There's so much praise and admiration now for JC's legacy coaching staff on the Rutgers board. I'm happy for SP and DM, but it pains me to know that they'll turn things around for those clowns. I hope they both end up at bigger programs very soon

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have a feeling they will do very well and out Rutgers on the map. The facilities, area and conference are good! The young coach will get the players to make it work! #faith in their success. I will only route against them when and if they play UCONN.

Their facilities suck actually. Probably the worst in the Big Ten.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball...hletics_facilities_issue_here_is_everyth.html

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/4/19/8413467/rutgers-big-ten-conference-realignment-2014-2015

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Love Donyell, but does anyone know if he can coach?

He was so mild-mannered and lacked confidence when he came here. That was a long time ago. What is he like now?

Reaction Score
He may good at teaching free throws but it doesn't surprise me he is a pg. But I have seen no evidence of his teaching big man specific skills. We need a big man to teach big men. Not saying miller is a bad coach in general just not good at teaching and developing skills that are specific to big men. Since he has been the big man coach I can't name one big man that has improved the way our guards have or the way previous big men have improved.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why couldn't Pikiell have waited for a school I can actually root for? It's like he didn't consider my feelings at all.

This is heartbreaking for Stony Brook fans. The program lost its entire senior class and its entire coaching staff. It almost feels like getting to the NCAAs was the worst possible outcome for us

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He may good at teaching free throws but it doesn't surprise me he is a pg. But I have seen no evidence of his teaching big man specific skills. We need a big man to teach big men. Not saying miller is a bad coach in general just not good at teaching and developing skills that are specific to big men. Since he has been the big man coach I can't name one big man that has improved the way our guards have or the way previous big men have improved.

So ridiculous to think you need a "BIG" man to teach big man skills. Where do people get this? Would it be great to have Kevin McHale on the staff? Hell yeah but he's not on anyone's staff. Let me know all the 6'10" guys on the KU staff and UNC staff making Ellis and Brice Johnson so good? Maybe Norm Roberts is now 6'8"? LOL

You need to have teachable, smart young men to learn from whomever knows the game. You need to have guys who after thousand and thousands of reps can actually transition what they are learning to the court, game time. Fact is we don't. Hoping Diarra, Durham and in the future Brown have basketball IQ. Really simple. Our best "big" mans coach Clyde Vaughn was 6'4" at best, not a big man at all just really knew how to play. This theory is SO overrated.

Reaction Score
So ridiculous to think you need a "BIG" man to teach big man skills. Where do people get this? Would it be great to have Kevin McHale on the staff? Hell yeah but he's not on anyone's staff. Let me know all the 6'10" guys on the KU staff and UNC staff making Ellis and Brice Johnson so good? Maybe Norm Roberts is now 6'8"? LOL

You need to have teachable, smart young men to learn from whomever knows the game. You need to have guys who after thousand and thousands of reps can actually transition what they are learning to the court, game time. Fact is we don't. Hoping Diarra, Durham and in the future Brown have basketball IQ. Really simple. Our best "big" mans coach Clyde Vaughn was 6'4" at best, not a big man at all just really knew how to play. This theory is SO overrated.
I know this is going to be a disaster but I am going to try and have a conversation on the boneyard without resulting into schoolyard taunts. I didn't know that our best big man's coach was a relatively short guy. So maybe your right a small guy who is very perceptive could teach big man skills. I will admit you are more knowledgeable than me so why do you think or what is the prevailing opinion on why in recent years are big men are not improving? Question open to anyone with a theory.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pikiell's a good coach, but Rutgers has a hard ceiling.

Best case scenario for him is that he catches lightning in a bottle on year and bounces to a better program.

Reaction Score
Pikiell's a good coach, but Rutgers has a hard ceiling.

Best case scenario for him is that he catches lightning in a bottle on year and bounces to a better program.

I disagree. Rutgers has big upside if they are patient and build the program the right way. There is so much talent within 3 hours of Rutgers that they could build a winning program with getting the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th best talents in 3 hot recruiting areas. Plus, the RAC would rock with a good team.

The key is university support. If Rutgers decides basketball is important, I think Rutgers can have a top 25 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom