Donovan Clingan Returning (Per Himself) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan Returning (Per Himself)

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie - who might love UConn more than any of us - has a nice summary of what Clingan’s return means for both him and the team. Two lottery picks in 2024? It’s not impossible.

That article got me more excited than I already was for next season

Reaction Score
I would like to him jacking up half court threes, a few behind back, maybe even try to bounce some in. Give him the 40 minute green light. That would really get the crowd going.
I want him bringing the ball up the court

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Yeah, he's still a kid having fun. I give people this advise all the time: Don't rush to ge an adult. It's not all it's cracked up to be. :)
I still haven’t joined the ranks. My nephews think I’m one of them. I’m 40.

Reaction Score
hurley knows next year, every blue blood is going @ clingan

big east >>>blue bloods

Reaction Score
It’s more than just shooting 3’s for him. He’s going to get a lot stronger in his weight training. But he has areas that need improvement, foul shooting, finishing at the rim, better footwork. Pretty sure he already has the jump shot But it wasn’t in Hurley’s game plan. Patrick Ewing could shoot from the outside too as his career went on.

Reaction Score
DC going to have to improve his free throw shooting or he is going to get hacked all the time.
I think it’s just a matter of practice for him. We know he can make threes pre game, and during garbage time of one of the final games of the season (don’t remember against who), he looked pretty comfortable pulling up for midrange jumpers even though he was 0-2

I think he’ll surprise us with his shooting ability. Although obviously his footwork in the post is the #1 priority

Reaction Score
I think it’s just a matter of practice for him. We know he can make threes pre game, and during garbage time of one of the final games of the season (don’t remember against who), he looked pretty comfortable pulling up for midrange jumpers even though he was 0-2

I think he’ll surprise us with his shooting ability. Although obviously his footwork in the post is the #1 priority
I agree.. he has a nice touch…

caw

Reaction Score
So UConn has the following basically confirmed as starters:

PG: Castle
SG:
SF:
PF: Karaban
C: Clingan

Four freshmen off the bench right now. Can't wait to see how this all shapes up. Pretty bright though.

It still seems odd that you basically have to confirm every player will be back regardless of ability, or playing time the previous year. In the past you could usually pencil in a player as returning if they were rotational and not NBA.

This year, it seems only Karaban fit the mold there.

Reaction Score
Samson Johnson will get lots of pt next year. The guy can play but needs minutes vs the Coppin States and other early games to get in the flow.

Reaction Score
How about a starting line up of Donavon, Samson, Alex,shooter(Alleyne,Timberlake?) and Andre at the point. I think Karaban’s future is playing the 3 so he may see time there. Castle getting 20 minutes off the bench. Of course we have no idea who we will have yet. Just thinkin

Reaction Score
He’s had plenty of chances but people here can’t grasp it.
When exactly has he had his chances to play as a regular part of the rotation? He desperately needs to play against the low majors we will schedule next year.

Reaction Score
When exactly has he had his chances to play as a regular part of the rotation? He desperately needs to play against the low majors we will schedule next year.
That’s not what we want??

He’s good enough if he plays against our weakest opponents in the non-conference???

If he can’t compete for minutes in practice after 2 seasons, he’s got an uphill battle…

Just calling a spade a spade….

Reaction Score
That’s not what we want??

He’s good enough if he plays against our weakest opponents in the non-conference???

If he can’t compete for minutes in practice after 2 seasons, he’s got an uphill battle…

Just calling a spade a spade….
He was our starting 4 in the first game this year. He needs game experience

Reaction Score
Hey played against low majors last year. He just didn’t play a lot because he can’t play effectively without fouling.

He played against Stonehill this year in the first game of the season. They finished 330 in Kenpom. He was on pace to foul out in 20 minutes.

People have created this narrative that’s it’s common to struggle and then become a big contributor with more playing time, but it’s actually rare.

How many minutes did Clingan have to play before it was obvious he would be a contributor? Maybe 5? How about Karaban? Jackson? Hawkins? Sanogo?

Most guys show something right away, even if they have freshman struggles.

Johnson has some elite physical traits, so hopefully he will put it together, but this whole “he’d be really good if he just played more” is made up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom