Done Deal: UConn v Maryland in Maggie Dixon Classic (Dec 28) | The Boneyard

Done Deal: UConn v Maryland in Maggie Dixon Classic (Dec 28)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
done deal, I heard that somewhere, lol!

All jokes aside its a good deal for both programs

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Maryland, Nebraska, LSU. It doesn't appear as if the top teams are running away from the Huskies in any hurry.

Reaction Score
done deal, I heard that somewhere, lol!

All jokes aside its a good deal for both programs
It's a great deal for both programs---MD gets more exposure against the best and Uconn get exposure in the ACC recruiting area.
Maryland may not win most games against Uconn but they give Uconn fans a great battle to watch. Good deal for fans of both teams.

Reaction Score
It's a great deal for both programs---MD gets more exposure against the best and Uconn get exposure in the ACC recruiting area.
Maryland may not win most games against Uconn but they give Uconn fans a great battle to watch. Good deal for fans of both teams.

You B1G/ACC recruiting area now with the Terps being in the B1G, but you right.

A lot more teams will want to play Uconn after Stewart and Jefferson graduate, Stanford asked to defer there this year's game until next year, Louisville didn't want to play this year they want to play next year, some teams think the playing field will be more leveled after S&J graduate

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Start spreading the news!!! I'll start gathering names of folks in the not too distant future - Already have 16 ticket requests!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
( A lot more teams will want to play Uconn after Stewart and Jefferson graduate, Stanford asked to defer there this year's game until next year, Louisville didn't want to play this year they want to play next year, some teams think the playing field will be more leveled after S&J graduate)

The field will continue to be un uphill climb for everyone else as long as Geno and CD are in the house.

Reaction Score
( A lot more teams will want to play Uconn after Stewart and Jefferson graduate, Stanford asked to defer there this year's game until next year, Louisville didn't want to play this year they want to play next year, some teams think the playing field will be more leveled after S&J graduate)

The field will continue to be un uphill climb for everyone else as long as Geno and CD are in the house.

That is sad.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Monday night and not a weekend? That's different. I'll check and see how many nights I can afford to be in NYC, as I've already planned for Dec. 20-26.

Reaction Score

really, Maryland lost the last two games by 23, and 27 at home. They lost their leading scorers, most of their coaching staff, and Frese is still a clueless coach.

Reaction Score
John Altavilla's article on the series mentioned UConn's quest for a third straight championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
homecoming game for Kiah Gillespie during 2017-2018 season

Reaction Score
really, Maryland lost the last two games by 23, and 27 at home. They lost their leading scorers, most of their coaching staff, and Frese is still a clueless coach.
That's a little harsh don't you think? A final four team that played us even for a half.

Reaction Score
That's a little harsh don't you think? A final four team that played us even for a half.

not really, Maryland played in a very weak conference. They did not schedule any top 10 teams. (ND was in the ACC/BIG10 challenge). They had 2 home games in the NCAA tournament. It took 2 wins against mediocre teams to get to the final four.

Last year they treated the UConn game as their Superbowl, and were humiliated on their home court.

Again, they have lost all their coaching staff in the last in the last couple years. Coaches left for " dream jobs" of sitting behind the Wizards bench with a development coach title. As well as powerhouse programs Rice, and Florida International.

Maryland's best player transferred to their former top rival.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It will be. UCONN will still be at or near the top, but it's gonna be a free for all in 2016-17.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
not really, Maryland played in a very weak conference. They did not schedule any top 10 teams. (ND was in the ACC/BIG10 challenge). They had 2 home games in the NCAA tournament. It took 2 wins against mediocre teams to get to the final four.

Last year they treated the UConn game as their Superbowl, and were humiliated on their home court.

Again, they have lost all their coaching staff in the last in the last couple years. Coaches left for " dream jobs" of sitting behind the Wizards bench with a development coach title. As well as powerhouse programs Rice, and Florida International.

Just a little perspective - Maryland ended up playing 13 games against top 25 teams according to Sagarin - the only other teams that compare are Uconn and ND. Uconn only passed them because they played the NC game.

I agree that Maryland will likely struggle this coming year with Brown gone, and Freese is certainly not one of my favorite coaches, but they have had a nice little run these past two years.

Reaction Score
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough became Maryland's best guard last season. She was named "Most Outstanding Player" in the Spokane Region. I also thought she was one of the three best players on the Pan Am Games team. SWK and Brionna Jones are Maryland's two best and most consistent players. Gillespie is getting positive reviews from folks that have watched pick-up.

Maryland has done an outstanding job with players that weren't that "highly" recruited. SWK and Jones were not HS All-Americans and both have developed tremendously.

Reaction Score

Maryland only averaged the 18th best recruiting classes over the last 4 years. During that same period, Maryland finished at year end in the top 5 for three of those 4 years, and made the final four in 2 of those four years. Considering the talent they had compared to the rest of the teams, I think that's pretty good. And you think Frese is clueless? It seems someone else may be clueless.

Reaction Score
Just a little perspective - Maryland ended up playing 13 games against top 25 teams according to Sagarin - the only other teams that compare are Uconn and ND. Uconn only passed them because they played the NC game.

I agree that Maryland will likely struggle this coming year with Brown gone, and Freese is certainly not one of my favorite coaches, but they have had a nice little run these past two years.

There is a big difference between a top 10 team, and a top 25 team. If you are a premier program you play the top teams.

Reaction Score

Maryland only averaged the 18th best recruiting classes over the last 4 years. During that same period, Maryland finished at year end in the top 5 for three of those 4 years, and made the final four in 2 of those four years. Considering the talent they had compared to the rest of the teams, I think that's pretty good. And you think Frese is clueless? It seems someone else may be clueless.

LOL

Alyssa Thomas carried the team, a former top 5 recruit.

When is Frese going to be the Olympic head coach ? or even an assistant ?

Reaction Score
More TV exposure for UCONN again this season..........Great players want this type exposure and some run away...........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that John Glass doesnt hold the Terp program in high regard :rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
triaddukefan said:
I get the feeling that John Glass doesnt hold the Terp program in high regard :rolleyes:

image-3122408101.jpg

Reaction Score
It will be. UCONN will still be at or near the top, but it's gonna be a free for all in 2016-17.
I'm not seeing a free for all in 16/17. The gap will be smaller but I still see UConn in its own tier. I'm pretty confident we'll have 4 of the top 15 players and 7 of the top 50. I don't see anyone matching that. All subject to being healthy of course,

And after UConn I think SC, ND and Baylor stand out. I'd be awfully surprised if someone other than those three plus UConn won the NC. And even money, I'd bet on the Huskies for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom