Don Amore: UConn no longer recruiting Devin Robinson | The Boneyard

Don Amore: UConn no longer recruiting Devin Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like it has been confirmed, folks:
Couple of recruiting notes: Forward Devin Robinson is not coming to visit UConn this month, I’m told. Ithas been cancelled. He is apparently focusing elsewhere. With Cassell, Rakim Lubin, Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis coming next year, UConn is about done recruiting from the class of 2014, unless someone special comes along. They’re apt to keep scholarships available for 2015 players.

UConn’s MO is to continue communicating with committed players as if they were still recruiting them, so as a matter of course they have stayed in constant touch with Daniel Hamilton out in LA. There does not seem to be any waver in his intent to come to UConn, to which he committed last spring. (His his brother, Isaac, left UTEP for UCLA prompting some speculation on that front.)
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/k...n-magazine-and-other-huskies-notes-and-links/

EDIT: can someone edit my title from "Don" to "Dom". My bad.

Reaction Score
Good news re: Hamilton, but not good news re: Robinson. Would have liked to see DR as a Husky.

Reaction Score
Odd. Just odd. Best of luck

Very odd. By my count we only have 10 players on scholarship for 2014-2015 (assuming Daniels and Boatright go pro). Maybe pick up a grad transfer?

Reaction Score
D$(I think that was his screenname) had it right then when he said this a month or so ago.

Reaction Score
Several weeks ago, Robinson's HS coach said that UConn has stopped contacting Robinson. I found it hard to believe then, and even harder to believe now. Unless UConn made a commitment to stop recruiting swingmen.

But we're recruiting Swift, right? So this makes absolutely no sense.

Is Uconn recruiting Swift? Amore doesn't seem to think so.

So now UConn decided not to recruit Robinson or Swift? If I'm to believe Amore and Robinson's HS coach? Hard to believe.

I bet you Swift takes a visit here which will prove they are still looking for a 3/4.

Reaction Score
We must be recruiting swift he's coming on a visit , no ? Maybe dom is just making baseless assumptions. grad transfer could be in lieu

Reaction Score
KO must be confident he can land some big fish in 2015. And maybe backing off of Robinson was a way of showing faith with Hamilton.

Regardless, I'm still very happy with this class.

Reaction Score
Yep, but did he get it from the High School coach?

not sure if it was the main coach but definitely someone on the HS staff. I didn't want to believe it but it did line up with that story that was posted on a Univ of Mich hoops blog where UConn wasn't even mentioned as recruiting him hard lately, and that was in like August. I was honestly surprised UConn was still listed as getting a visit after that article came out so I assumed it was BS, guess not.

Reaction Score
Just a bizarre decision by the staff. Can't say I support them on this one.

I guess they're turning their attention to Swift and Graham?

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The only way this makes sense to me is if they think getting Robinson is going to alienate Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Can't say I'm thrilled with this. The recruiting class so far is good; with Robinson it would have been great. I hope the staff has the inside edge with some big time 4/5's in 2015. We're loaded going forward at the 1-3 with purvis, cassell jr, samuel, maybe boat, calhoun, and hamilton but our front court (on paper at least, barring huge revelations or major improvements this season) is filled with solid but unspectacular players. Robinson would have been a beast at the stretch four (ignoring the ridiculous, unfounded rumors of him refusing to play there). Unless Robinson is a silent commit or huge lean to Indiana and we're pulling out a la Ville and Cassell jr. this is puzzling to say the least.

Reaction Score
Devonte Graham. No idea when he'll even be eligible, but UConn was listed as one of the teams interested not too long ago.

Ah, Cassell Jr took that PG spot and I don't think App State will release him so I think he wouldn't be eligible for that '14-15 season

Reaction Score
Graham is a PG though.

I think UConn is looking for more bigs, but if a special recruit, as Amore puts in his blog post, doesn't come around, it's on to 2015. If you want to look at the positives in this, UConn can now turn their attention to 2015 prospects, and start making some inroads there.

Reaction Score
Why would we be interested in graham ollie just signed a pg?

Reaction Score
KO must be confident he can land some big fish in 2015. And maybe backing off of Robinson was a way of showing faith with Hamilton.

Regardless, I'm still very happy with this class.
You may be right. It can really screw things up down the line with too many recruits from one class. Hamilton seems to be a better player at the same position so maybe Robinson was not a priority. None of this explains Swift though.
Outstanding recruiting class as it stands now.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Swift already gave a verbal but didn't want to make it public until the visit?

Reaction Score
The only explanation is that Ollie thought if we landed Robinson it would mess with DH and cause him to decommit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom