Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I can dig the money and prestige. What I don’t get are the “stay in the Big East unless it’s the B1G” set. Are we really that enamored with the possible rivals and travel schedule in that conference, such that you are using those as reasons to stay in the Big East?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I can dig the money and prestige. What I don’t get are the “stay in the Big East unless it’s the B1G” set. Are we really that enamored with the possible rivals and travel schedule in that conference, such that you are using those as reasons to stay in the Big East?
Yeah...any P5 offer you have to take. Any G5 offer is a pass. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
I think pretty much everyone on here prefers the B1G. Most money and most prestige. But...the question is who on here actually think that's a possibility?

I would guess...very few.
That's pretty much my point overall. If anything I can see UConn as a package deal with (I know gasp) BC to completely cover the entire NE in terms of TV market. But BC has about as much value as we do to the B1G at this point. Which is barely anything. That's why I said the only way we get in is if the SEC starts grabbing TV markets closer to NY and NJ.

Reaction Score
I think it's safe to assume that any move to a power conference for all sports would be beneficial for UConn. But the determining factor isn't what's accretive to UConn; it's whether adding UConn would be accretive to another conference. UConn obviously checks all the boxes for basketball, but as regards football, it lacks historic relevance and hasn't made the kinds of investments that a power conference might construe as a sign of commitment.
Having a relatively new, state of the art, indoor practice facility isn’t a sign of commitment???? I think, and much more importantly, Jim Mora thinks UConn football would be accretive to another conference in just a few years. As you said, mens and women’s basketball is immensely accretive immediately.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty safe to say nearly everyone would prefer an invitation to join the B1G over any other possibility. The thing is remaining in the BE with football as an independent would make it nearly impossible for out profile to improve to a level where the B1G would consider us.

If we were to join the B-12 we would have the opportunity to improve our profile to where we may receive consideration from the B1G. Yes, it would be a longshot but it may be the only feasible option.

Reaction Score
I hope we get into the B12... Establish ourselves... It's a really good opportunity to do that with our football program... When we got into the AAC we were overmatched/ill-prepared... and all the AAC schools made us pay... especially with all the crap talking our beloved fans did... Boy oh boy, did we end up writing a check our behinds couldn't cash behind that... and then, our fanbase still talked a bunch of junk on the way out... Point is, I hope we learned our lesson... It's one thing to be confident, but when you show no respect to your peers, you get humbled...

I digress....

Well, we're in a better position now... seems like we're learning to humble ourselves as a whole now (save some of us "experts" on the message boards and in social media outlets... ha ha ha).. Seems like we're finally really close to making this dream come true... It started 25 years ago... Time for it to come to fruition...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That's pretty much my point overall. If anything I can see UConn as a package deal with (I know gasp) BC to completely cover the entire NE in terms of TV market. But BC has about as much value as we do to the B1G at this point. Which is barely anything. That's why I said the only way we get in is if the SEC starts grabbing TV markets closer to NY and NJ.
I think UConn has quite a bit more value than BC does right now, thanks to Hurley and Jim Mora. BC has really fallen off a cliff last few years in men’s and women’s basketball, as well as football. B1G would get also two pretty good hockey programs and two good baseball programs.

Reaction Score
I hope we get into the B12... Establish ourselves... It's a really good opportunity to do that with our football program... When we got into the AAC we were overmatched/ill-prepared... and all the AAC schools made us pay... especially with all the crap talking our beloved fans did... Boy oh boy, did we end up writing a check our behinds couldn't cash behind that... and then, our fanbase still talked a bunch of junk on the way out... Point is, I hope we learned our lesson... It's one thing to be confident, but when you show no respect to your peers, you get humbled...

I digress....

Well, we're in a better position now... seems like we're learning to humble ourselves as a whole now (save some of us "experts" on the message boards and in social media outlets... ha ha ha).. Seems like we're finally really close to making this dream come true... It started 25 years ago... Time for it to come to fruition...
The point about being humble has never been more important.

Reaction Score
If that second conference isn't the ACC, then it's probably the MAC. I know that's not what you or those other two posters would want to hear, hope for, or like to believe, but let's be realistic. Nobody in the B1G is talking about adding UConn.
I know of several B1G officials and coaches, and former officials and coaches who would love to see UConn in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I think UConn has quite a bit more value than BC does right now, thanks to Hurley and Jim Mora. BC has really fallen off a cliff last few years in men’s and women’s basketball, as well as football. B1G would get also two pretty good hockey programs and two good baseball programs.
In athletics yes, UConn does have a better overall value, but to the B1G, UConn and BC have pretty much the same value when it comes to TV Market in their opinion. Obviously BC brings Boston, but they're like 12th in line behind everyone else in that market. UConn is big in CT, but still behind the pro teams in the area. That's the point I was making. Everyone knows BC's athletic department is in shambles, but it's all about TV sets. That's why Rutgers got into the B1G because of the "NYC market" not because they were good in anything.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
In athletics yes, UConn does have a better overall value, but to the B1G, UConn and BC have pretty much the same value when it comes to TV Market in their opinion. Obviously BC brings Boston, but they're like 12th in line behind everyone else in that market. UConn is big in CT, but still behind the pro teams in the area. That's the point I was making. Everyone knows BC's athletic department is in shambles, but it's all about TV sets. That's why Rutgers got into the B1G because of the "NYC market" not because they were good in anything.
I'm curious, how exactly is it that you know the B-12's opinion?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don't. I'm talking about the Big 10 which if saw value in UConn would have take them over Rutgers.
So from the fact that the B1G took an AAU school a decade ago, when the environment allowed them to force the B-10 network on all cable carriers on a basic subscription tier (putting it in all homes in the state), providing revenues to the B1G based on the total households in the state, you can extrapolate that they have more interest in BC than they do on us?

Please walk me through your extrapolation, I seem to be missing something.

Reaction Score
So from the fact that the B1G took an AAU school a decade ago, when the environment allowed them to force the B-10 network on all cable carriers on a basic subscription tier (putting it in all homes in the state), providing revenues to the B1G based on the total households in the state, you can extrapolate that they have more interest in BC than they do on us?

For my benefit too even though it feels like we are inventing topics to talk about. MA has more boxes than CT? By that logic UMass would be in the mix too?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't. I'm talking about the Big 10 which if saw value in UConn would have take them over Rutgers.
So, in your analysis, Connecticut has to be valueless for the Big Ten to choose Rutgers whose state is wedged between New York and Philadelphia and has the roughly the population density of Calcutta?

There were plenty of good reasons to choose Rutgers. UConn bring valueless want one of them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They don't have any interest in BC or UConn. None. Zilch. Zero. The University of Washington didn't get a quick invite, despite being a huge school in a big market, with better overall sports teams than UConn or BC, AAU status and better academics than UConn, and than BC if you look at STEM and research. Oregon would be ahead of both, as would Stanford and Cal. So would UNC, UVA, Virgina Tech, Georgia Tech and if Penn State wouldn't throw a fit, probably Pitt. I'm not sure we'd crack their top 10.

Need to stop worrying about the B1G and try to get into the Big XII or ACC if they will have us. People seriously underestimate the value placed on long term football traditions by all of these conferences. It's a cultural thing built around the culture of college football. It's why our off campus stadium, however nice and convenient, doesn't help and keeps being brought up.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn is big in Connecticut precisely because there are no pro sports teams in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
If a good deal comes “on condition” they build an on campus stadium, then they can make it happen.
That's not how it works. Conferences value demonstrable signs of commitment. You convince them of your worth by building broadly competitive programs, facilities, and a fan-base. Then maybe you get a P5 invitation. It's a gamble, but as some other G5 programs have recently shown, it's a gamble that can pay off. No conference is interested in elevating a school with a vague promise that it will improve.

Reaction Score
That's not how it works. Conferences value demonstrable signs of commitment. You convince them of your worth by building broadly competitive programs, facilities, and a fan-base. Then maybe you get a P5 invitation. It's a gamble, but as some other G5 programs have recently shown, it's a gamble that can pay off. No conference is interested in elevating a school with a vague promise that it will improve.
Does Rutgers fit that model in your view? Are they broadly competitive in anything? Does UCLA play on campus?

Reaction Score
I was simply suggesting what UConn might do to attract the kind of attention it would need to move up. Compare UConn's commitment and facilities not with Rutgers and UCLA but with those G5s which were recently elevated -- BYU, UC, UH, and UCF. Or make a comparison with your likely competitors in the next round of realignment: USF, Memphis, SDSU, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom