Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
I went to the car wash tonight after work hoping for some answers. I mentioned “Cooper” and they sprayed my tires down. I knew we were screwed at that point!

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s upset. I think y’all are framing it that way. He stated that he’s not concerned about the health of the program. I think he’d just like to win one of these blue blood recruiting battles. It’s been a while
It's just dumb. Duke has been Flagg's dream school his whole life and it was assumed he was going there for a year and a half. UConn was never supposed to be a part of his recruitment, we got his only other visit.

We win national championships constantly, who cares if we do it with a majority of guys ranked 30-70? Who cares if we hone in on studs who rise up in the rankings?

Donyell pretty much fell in our lap, we beat out Minnesota for Khalid, I forget Rip's recruitment but we didn't beat out Duke, Kentucky, Kansas for him. We didn't beat out those schools for Caron either. We got Ben Gordon because Duke didn't pursue him, we beat out Maryland for Rudy Gay. People were freaking out that we didn't get Jamal Sampson and Isiah Fox and we settled for Okafor. We got Charlie V because Self left Illinois. We got Kemba because we didn't get Brandon Jennings. We got Bazz because we didn't get Knight, Selby or Joseph. We got Boatright because Huggins took Jabarie Hinds (another point guard) right after getting Boatright.

These are the best players who have ever played here and all I can think of where we beat out "our overlords" was Ray Allen. Yet we win more national championships than everyone else.

Reaction Score
It's just dumb. Duke has been Flagg's dream school his whole life and it was assumed he was going there for a year and a half. UConn was never supposed to be a part of his recruitment, we got his only other visit.

We win national championships constantly, who cares if we do it with a majority of guys ranked 30-70? Who cares if we hone in on studs who rise up in the rankings?

Donyell pretty much fell in our lap, we beat out Minnesota for Khalid, I forget Rip's recruitment but we didn't beat out Duke, Kentucky, Kansas for him. We didn't beat out those schools for Caron either. We got Ben Gordon because Duke didn't pursue him, we beat out Maryland for Rudy Gay. People were freaking out that we didn't get Jamal Sampson and Isiah Fox and we settled for Okafor. We got Charlie V because Self left Illinois. We got Kemba because we didn't get Brandon Jennings. We got Bazz because we didn't get Knight, Selby or Joseph. We got Boatright because Huggins took Jabarie Hinds (another point guard) right after getting Boatright.

These are the best players who have ever played here and all I can think of where we beat out "our overlords" was Ray Allen. Yet we win more national championships than everyone else.
You’re preaching to the choir. I personally don’t care who we beat out. I was just shooting @HuskyHawk some bail as I don’t think he was upset or complaining. Just making a valid observation.

I’m glad it’s over. I’m pumped for tomorrow. Who is Cooper Flagg anyway? Acuff come on down!

Orc

Reaction Score
I think much of it due to the prediction on TV by Isla created all this hope making it feel like a lioss.
Pretty much. The rumor was started by a couple people and many Uconn fans fell for it. Cooper was never going to say no Duke. The whole family are duke fans. Cant fault the staff for trying at least.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah we’ve never had a #1 player or #1 overall pick. That’s insane for a program of this caliber and needs to change. Tired of hearing “oh well maybe next time.” I want to win on all fronts.
Drummond was #1 before he reclassified. But I get what you’re saying. Lol

Reaction Score
You get points for getting the #1 recruit? Do those points get you national championships?
Not being able to point to those types of players as ones we’ve successfully recruited before definitely hurts the brand perception, like it or not.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s upset. I think y’all are framing it that way. He stated that he’s not concerned about the health of the program. I think he’d just like to win one of these blue blood recruiting battles. It’s been a while
People here twist your words to say things that aren’t there. You can tell them over and over you’re not worried and trust the staff, but it’s not good enough i guess.

Reaction Score
Not being able to point to those types of players as ones we’ve successfully recruited before definitely hurts the brand perception, like it or not.
Idk man even if that were true, does the perception matter if we've won 5 championships doing it without those types of recruits?

Stars are nice and all but we do fine finding the right players. There are plenty of 5* top 5 recruits that don't have remotely the level of impact that players like Shabazz, Lamb, & Bouk have had. They were all ranked around 80...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom