Dolson & KML make USBWA All-America team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dolson & KML make USBWA All-America team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stef and KML richly deserved the honor. I'm a huge Kelly fan, but remember: she not most of the others honored is still playing for a NC. And I'm convinced she'll have another brilliant career in the pros when this season is done.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Congrats to Stef and KML! I hope Kelly wins D-player OY.

Reaction Score
I know this sounds crazy but in some respects putting Kelly on the wall would not be the right thing to do. It would be againsts her lunch pail blue collar style. The wall is for the "greats"- Mays D, Sue, etc.

There should be a seperate place of Honor on the opposite wall-for players like Kelly who may not be AA but have in some repects given more to the program and to us than the AA's-The Heart of a Husky wall.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris' #34 should hang from the Gampel rafters, or else the Wall of Honor has lost its honor.

It is such farce that some people here celebrate Stef's All-American status, yet ignore Kelly's wonderful 4 years. TRUE UConn women fans know better. Kelly's "Honorable Mention" is simply the work of dishonorable voters, dishonorable people. She has been so much more than "Honorable Mention", for 2 years now, and the voters know it too, deep inside their cold, manipulating hearts
Yes, KLM deserves at LEAST 2nd team, but in a real world, which this obviously is NOT, given the voting, Kelly should be WORLDS above Stef, AA wise. Sure, Beth Mowins and Doris Burke call it "Stefanie Dolson and the UConn Huskies" but people true to themselves, who aren't lopsided in the noggin, KNOW that such a billing is completely ludicrous, and actually is quite unfair to Stefanie, who I believe probably deserves her third team recognition, still an honor, certainly more than "Honorable Mention".

These same people who ignore Kelly, cheer Jeff Walz' victory over Baylor, then drown out the voices of people who saw the game, the vast majority who had the impression that the referees decisions were being made by Jeff's grandmother. (Louisville backing stategy/collusion for Media/Announcers/and least but not least, the REFEREES: Make 20-25 bad calls vs. Baylor. Allow ALL Brit muggings(except for one "questionable" one., which of course is shown OVER + OVER. NOW, INTENTIONALLY make two clearly bad calls vs. Louisville. THEN, let the TV replay those 2 bad calls against Louisville OVER+ OVER + OVER again, which they did. To make it all seem fair, which it wasn't. THEN, to any Mulkeys, or to any other honest people who protested this travesty, say "Another RANT! Get OVER it!" Exactly those words.
And you can't do a thing about it.:(

1. I am not going to get into a Kelly vs. Stef argument with you. I would imagine any "true" fan would prefer not to promote UConn one player at the expense of another, especially one who has given as much to the program as Stef has.

2. Calling voters fundamentally "dishonorable" makes you sound paranoid and petty. You're referring to a group of 40 voters who actually follow and cover women's basketball and impugning them as human beings because you have a difference of opinion. How about a valium?

3. What on earth does the Louisville-Baylor game have to do with anything? Baylor lost because they didn't adjust to what Louisville was doing until it was too late, not because of the officiating. But again, what on earth does that game have to do with Kelly's AP AA placement? Do you even know who the 40 AP voters are? What about the USWBA voters or the WBCA voters? Do you know who they are? And you can say you have a clue as to their opinions about anything, including the Louisville-Baylor game?

4. I wouldn't call naming Kelly one of the top three defensive players in the country "ignoring" her. The AP did that too, you know.

But thanks for crapping on a thread celebrating the national recognition for two kids who have busted their asses for UConn.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Now thats a list of All Americans!!

No questions asked!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I know this sounds crazy but in some respects putting Kelly on the wall would not be the right thing to do. It would be againsts her lunch pail blue collar style. The wall is for the "greats"- Mays D, Sue, etc.

There should be a seperate place of Honor on the opposite wall-for players like Kelly who may not be AA but have in some repects given more to the program and to us than the AA's-The Heart of a Husky wall.

Very well said. I can think of two: Ashley Battle and Mel Thomas, who fit the mold. (Mel Thomas even wrote the book...)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I hope someone can check on this with a Horde member. I think the 10 person women's coaches team qualifies for the wall....that will be announced Saturday. First team AP might too. I don't think this does.

Reaction Score
Very well said. I can think of two: Ashley Battle and Mel Thomas, who fit the mold. (Mel Thomas even wrote the book...)

The 2 girls you names are exactly why UCONN should reward girls who gave there all to the team and did the dirty work needed to win champaionships. They never get the recognition they so richly deserve.

Geno, the coaches, the players and the UCONN fans know what they did for the team. It could be our way of saying thanks for the big rebouns, the big block out, the big steal and for leaving bits and pices of our body on the floor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, going back to October 2010, which of you thought Stefanie would be an All-American as a junior? Nice going by the Big Girl.
I thought she had a good shot at it. Actually from April of 2010 when I saw her in the McD AA game, I thought she's gonna be a good one.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

There are players who gave more than Maya? There are players that gave more than Shea? Jen? Tina?

I understand the idea but how could you not have those players on a Heart of a Husky wall? Would you specifically exclude them?

Reaction Score
So when all is said and done, how many Wall of Honor members will this year's team be able to count? They're already at three (Hartley, Dolson and KML) and everyone full expects Stewart to join them before she's done. But will it stop at four?

No...

Reaction Score
There are players who gave more than Maya? There are players that gave more than Shea? Jen? Tina?

I understand the idea but how could you not have those players on a Heart of a Husky wall? Would you specifically exclude them?

The Key words to my post were -"IN SOME RESPECTS".

Wally East

Reaction Score
The Key words to my post were -"IN SOME RESPECTS".

Yes, and I ask this as politely and gently as I can, in what respects did anyone give more than Maya, Shea, or Jen?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought to be on the wall you had to a consensus all America. Kemal Stef were 2nd and 3 rd team all americans
That was a different AA list. There are several. They are on this list on its only team of 10.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I ask this as politely and gently as I can, in what respects did anyone give more than Maya, Shea, or Jen?

I never said that anyone was better than Maya. Anyone that goes to UCONN can flatout play but everbody can't take 20 shots a game. They could go to other schools and be stars, maybe even AA's if they have the stats. There won't be 5 AA's a year from 1 team a year. They sacrifice part of their game go to war in the trenches as part of a team game. Somebody has to do the dirtly work . Give players like Kelly, Ashley and Mel a place of honor. They earned it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I never said that anyone was better than Maya. Anyone that goes to UCONN can flatout play but everbody can't take 20 shots a game. They could go to other schools and be stars, maybe even AA's if they have the stats. There won't be 5 AA's a year from 1 team a year. They sacrifice part of their game go to war in the trenches as part of a team game. Somebody has to do the dirtly work . Give players like Kelly, Ashley and Mel a place of honor. They earned it.

Although I cannot give you a precise recollection or a link, I will say that this year, I think in a Geno show, Geno talked about the wall and the criteria a little bit. At that time he talked about maybe instituting a "second tier" or something that would be a place of honor for the Jamelle, Kelly etc. type who may not make the current (arbitrary) criteria they created for the main wall but would allow these players be honored for their contributions to the program.

He said it in passing, sort of, but it seemed to me when he did that it was something that has been discussed and may be real in the near future.

Wally East

Reaction Score

I'm not disagreeing, just trying to find out your thoughts and I see what you're saying. I still think you might be undervaluing the "dirty work" and sacrifice made by players on the Wall of Honor.

In any event, naming this other Wall will be tricky. The "We Couldn't Have Done It Without You, Too" Wall is accurate but doesn't quite roll off the tongue :D

Reaction Score
I would make it separate from the main wall of honor, and understated (like the players who would be eligible for it). Maybe you can call it the "Blue Wall" - short for Huskies blue, and also "blue collar."

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think there should be one wall of honor, and that the criteria are absolute and correct. It's like a championship banner...you win or you don't. You don't put up a gee we almost won banner....it's tough, but that's the way it should be. Otherwise every great kid is going to want to be up....well, that's what group photos are for...PS I am a HUGE Kelly fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom