Does UConn run a "Princeton Offense? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does UConn run a "Princeton Offense?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I’m going to date myself here. There is absolutely no offense in basketball today anywhere, that remotely resembles the offense that Pete Carril developed at Princeton in the mid-60’s. Keep in mind that when Carril developed the principles of the Princeton Offense in the 60’s there was no 3-pt line and no shot clock in college basketball.

The original Princeton Offense had, as its primary goal, the overriding desire to get an open layup, by running a motion passing set over and over again until there was a defensive breakdown. It evolved over the years. But when Carril first put it in, it was about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I had the fortune, or perhaps misfortune, to watch a number of Princeton basketball games in the mid-70’s. They were maddening! It was not uncommon for a Princeton offensive possession to last 3-5 minutes before, inevitably, a player made a backcut, receiving a perfect bounce pass and converted an open layup.

So yes, UConn runs a motion offense, and so did Princeton. But that’s where the similarities end. UConn is looking for an open 3, mid-range jumper, backdoor cut, mismatch in the paint, opportunity to take a defender off the dribble, etc. Princeton was looking for a layup.
I happened to be at Princeton in 1975 when Princeton won the NIT behind Armon Hill who may have been the best player Carroll coached at Princeton. (Bill Bradley had left before Pete arrived I believe.) Amazingly Princeton actually scored 80 points in the win.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I happened to be at Princeton in 1975 when Princeton won the NIT behind Armon Hill who may have been the best player Carroll coached at Princeton. (Bill Bradley had left before Pete arrived I believe.) Amazingly Princeton actually scored 80 points in the win.
Hill was probably the most talented player Carril ever coached. I was at a Princeton-Columbia game in 1976. Columbia hadn’t beaten Princeton in a very long time, but they were up late, in a very low scoring game, when Carril abandoned his Princeton Offense and turned Hill loose to take over the game going 1 on 1. Hill scored the last several baskets for Princeton and they ended up winning.

As you point out, Bradley graduated in 65. Carril took over the HC job at Princeton in 67.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be more like does Princeton run the UConn offense, since Geno has been running it before Princeton. Carla did go to UConn, she did have that type of offense when she was the coach at Tufts.:rolleyes:
"The Princeton Offense was created by Hall of Fame coach, Pete Carril, during his incredible 29-year (1967–1996), 514-win tenure as coach of the Princeton Tigers." Geno has been coaching at UCONN since 1985. No doubt he copied from Carril, however, I believe he modified and improved upon it.
FYI for those who are interested:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be more like does Princeton run the UConn offense, since Geno has been running it before Princeton. Carla did go to UConn, she did have that type of offense when she was the coach at Tufts.:rolleyes:
Poor Pete Carril is already forgotten.

Reaction Score
Just curious. The Gamecocks thread on the general Board has a dispute arising between two non-Gamecocks as to whether UConn runs that offense (or a variation or something completely different).
Interesting argument, but probably better that it be discussed here.

@hoopsnloops32
@LwrcasefaN

(Yes, I see how it arose out of a Vandy-related discussion of Shea's offense)
Ask Pete C. maybe you can find him on Nassau street, or in Jadwin!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom