Does Paige Shoot/Score Enough? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does Paige Shoot/Score Enough?

Reaction Score
I witnessed the DT years and she was remarkable in leading the Huskies, yet the level of her performance wasn't up to what Clark did last year's tournament.

Loving the Janelle look, by the way.
Iowa didn’t win the championship game. Sheryl Swoops won her senior year and scored 47 in the win. Taurasi won the championship and carried her team. Getting to the final four and championship game is one thing, winning it all is another. We shall see how this year’s tournament plays out.

Reaction Score
Iowa didn’t win the championship game. Sheryl Swoops won her senior year and scored 47 in the win. Taurasi won the championship and carried her team. Getting to the final four and championship game is one thing, winning it all is another. We shall see how this year’s tournament plays out.
Yes, I remember... thanks!

I just question the 'carried' part. In the championship game, Taurasi scored 17 points and had 3 rebounds. Moore had 14 points and 9 rebounds, Turner had 12 points and 9 rebounds, and Strother and Conlon added 14 and 7 points, respectively.

I couldn't find assist numbers for that game, so I'll grant DT likely was the team leader there, perhaps more than Conlon?

I understand and recall that Diana was the team leader on the court, but saying someone had 17 of the team's 70 points and three of its 27 rebounds 'carried' the team might be overstating, don't you think? Leading, perhaps, if that...

And I have no illusions that Iowa will make another Final Four run. It could happen, but either way that shouldn't weigh on what happened in 2023.

At this point, I'm more interested in the prospect of Paige raising the level of her game so the Huskies can get back to the Final Four. That would be truly exciting.

PvP

Reaction Score
We all saw in the game Sunday the shot Paige threw up while passing under the basket without seeming to look anywhere near the basket with, in my opinion at the time, no possible chance of success. I began to mutter "what kind of .....?" Only to cut it short as the ball found the bottom of the net.

CBS was apparently also stupefied by her shot as they showed it again and again. Of course this was hardly the first time, Ms. Buckets made an "impossible" shot over her tenure in Storrs which makes my answer to whether she should shoot more pretty obvious.

Yes, please!!

Reaction Score
Basketball is a team sport, so when the game revolves around one and only one phenomenal player then that team, more often than not, will not win championships. That’s exactly why Caitlin Clark or Pete Maravich couldn’t win a National Championship.
The season is over yet, so Caitlin Clark still has the potential to ”logo-3” her team to hoisting the Championship trophy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As fans we were told that in Diana's senior year there was considerable friction between Geno and her because she was in game supporting the development of the younger players. "I didn't bring you here to pass" was still his rallying cry apparently.

Reaction Score
Darkstar1, the chief reason Iowa lost to LSU was because somebody named Jasmine Carson, not even a starter, hit five three-pointers in the first half and scored 22 points. Alexis Morris also scored 21 points... that Angel Reese was given the MOP award was a joke.

So, CONN78SEJ, Czinano (not Cinzano) was 'the only reason' Iowa made it to the final? Ever think that most of her points came as the result of assists from Caitlin Clark, or that Caitlin happened to have 41 points both against Louisville in the Elite Eight and against mighty SC in the semis. Might she have played a small role, ya think?
Deacon, I don’t dispute anything you say, and I think Clark is a phenomenal offensive player. My comment only was directed to the fact that if she had more AA players, she would or at least should score less and the team would or should be more successful.

Reaction Score

I just question the 'carried' part. In the championship game, Taurasi scored 17 points and had 3 rebounds. Moore had 14 points and 9 rebounds, Turner had 12 points and 9 rebounds, and Strother and Conlon added 14 and 7 points, respectively.

I couldn't find assist numbers for that game, so I'll grant DT likely was the team leader there, perhaps more than Conlon?

I understand and recall that Diana was the team leader on the court, but saying someone had 17 of the team's 70 points and three of its 27 rebounds 'carried' the team might be overstating, don't you think? Leading, perhaps, if that...

And I have no illusions that Iowa will make another Final Four run. It could happen, but either way that shouldn't weigh on what happened in 2023.

At this point, I'm more interested in the prospect of Paige raising the level of her game so the Huskies can get back to the Final Four. That would be truly exciting.
I think it all depends on the matchups. My hope is that if Iowa remains a 1 seed (no sure thing as they aren’t #1 in their own conference), that auconn is in their bracket.

Reaction Score
Deacon, I don’t dispute anything you say, and I think Clark is a phenomenal offensive player. My comment only was directed to the fact that if she had more AA players, she would or at least should score less and the team would or should be more successful.
Agreed, darkstar1. It's an interesting speculation, and a scenario we might see play out at USC if JuJu Watkins has the benefit of excellent recruits coming in behind her. How will that affect her prodigious scoring?

'Tis a fascinating discussion, about which we'll never know the answer for Caitlin Clark. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I think it all depends on the matchups. My hope is that if Iowa remains a 1 seed (no sure thing as they aren’t #1 in their own conference), that auconn is in their bracket.
I think Iowa's only road to a 1 seed, as you said, would be if it beats Ohio State this Sunday, then wins the Big Ten tournament, which would probably necessitate beating Indiana and Ohio State on consecutive days. It did it last year, but that's a tough road.

Also, as a fan of both UConn and Iowa, I'll hope they'll be in different brackets so the earliest they might play is at the Final Four!:cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Basketball is a team sport, so when the game revolves around one and only one phenomenal player then that team, more often than not, will not win championships. That’s exactly why Caitlin Clark or Pete Maravich couldn’t win a National Championship.
Danny Manning, might disagree with you. ;)

Reaction Score
Once again, Czinano... she deserves to have her name spelled correctly. You should employ the spelling acumen you possess to spell DEFENSE correctly and transfer it to spelling Monika's last name correctly.

Iowa lost seven games last season. How are its four losses so far this season proof that it's not as good this year?

How is that Iowa should have lost to Va Tech? One-point game... could have gone either way, right?

Aliyah (not Alyhah) scored just eight points because she was in foul trouble, because she shot 2 of 9 from the floor and because McKenna Warnock did a good job defensively on her when the Hawkeyes weren't in a zone. Czinano more often guarded Cardoso.

By the way, I would never argue that Iowa plays good defense, either last year or this, although Caitlin is making great effort on that end of the court.

Anyway, shouldn't we get back to the subject of whether or not Paige should shoot more... LOL?
I think Paige is fine, 30 points the other night was just dandy. I actually wanna see more shooting from Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Too many people equate “scoring points” with “playing basketball “. Diana is a wizard on the court - her court vision and passes simply spectacular. When people say someone does things no one has done before, and they’re just talking about shooting, I will always say, go watch Diana control a game.

Reaction Score
Too many people equate “scoring points” with “playing basketball “. Diana is a wizard on the court - her court vision and passes simply spectacular. When people say someone does things no one has done before, and they’re just talking about shooting, I will always say, go watch Diana control a game.
My point, Nan, was not deny Diana's wonderful skills, but rather just to recognize the significant contributions of her teammates, which have so often either been downplayed on the BY or wholly ignored.

Reaction Score

Diana did things that no other player could ever do, like against favored Texas her length of the court behind the back pass to a streaking teammate for a critical bucket is IMHO the single most amazing thing ever done in women’s college basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I did say “more often than not”. Now name another one.:p
DT. There is no way in hell, after losing Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams (4 of the top 6 draftees), that DT should have taken that group (no AA's, 4 FR, no SRs) and went 37-1 and a NC.

But I do get your point, doesn't happen very often. And probably won't this year.

Reaction Score
I am just here for the comments....
The Tea Popcorn GIF by Jason Earls

Reaction Score
DT. There is no way in hell, after losing Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams (4 of the top 6 draftees), that DT should have taken that group (no AA's, 4 FR, no SRs) and went 37-1 and a NC.

But I do get your point, doesn't happen very often. And probably won't this year.
That will never, ever be superseded. That, the other NCs, her scoring, her assists, and her leadership are why she is the first one on the mountain, in the George Washington position.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i recall that D was universally recognized as the absolute leader of Olympic teams and there was nobody that came close. that was among 12 outstanding ballplayers in each Olympics, some legends themselves (ex. bird, mcCaughtry, augustus, griner, etc.) who knew their way around the game and weren't shrinking violets.

that kind of respect and deference sez it all, imho. and it wasn't because diana offered outstanding scoring or any other statistics-based virtue. she always made her team better, and her teammates knew it. the respect given by her peers separates her. i think they have the best perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige needs to shoot more....I mention it every week on the post game thread.
For every 'yes' is a 'no'. I believe she gives her all, not only in shooting, passing, defense, occasional pt. guard, game playing mentor, rebounding. She is covers it all ! With all these talents, we are are very fortunate to have her playing for our team. Stay as long as you want .

Reaction Score
JMO folks Until we get more scoring from everybody else not named Paige or Aaliyah we need Paige shooting and scoring more as well as Aaliyah. Between now and the BE tournament we need more scorers or the burden is on Paige to score more points because nobody else is consistently steppin up
The problem is that if the others can’t step up and help, both Aaliyah and Paige will see double teams or more. Only Paige can handle that, and she does it by passing. It seems like it’s the same old thing Geno has been saying for a while… no one moving or setting screens. All correctable.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I still haven't seen Paige be aggressive in a whole game. In the past, Paige has had a first half scoring in single digits, sometimes below 6. She has picked up her game in the second halves which resulted in her 20 pt average. Now, since Geno has put his foot down on being more aggressive in the entire game, she has scored in double figures in the first half numerous times in the last few games. Unfortunately, Paige has turned to the less aggressive mode in the second halves. The good news is, playing like this shows that she still can turn it on whenever she wants, which is a great sign going into the NCAA tournament. I would expect that she may do a lot more scoring in the last 2 days of the BET just to get her, Geno, the team, and the fans excited for our trek into the Big Dance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom