Does Paige Shoot/Score Enough? | The Boneyard

Does Paige Shoot/Score Enough?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So the algorithm told me to watch Hopkins v. Wayzata in a key state seeding game in Paige's sophomore year. By then it is unquestionably her team and deep into the first half she has 4 points AND all sorts of assists. Time and again she is open above the key and she'll step in to attract doubling and pass to the corner or .... You would think she'd see the utility of trying to keep the center of the defense on her by knocking something down now and then. Does this sound familiar? She's gotten better but I think she is still not shooting enough.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO folks Until we get more scoring from everybody else not named Paige or Aaliyah we need Paige shooting and scoring more as well as Aaliyah. Between now and the BE tournament we need more scorers or the burden is on Paige to score more points because nobody else is consistently steppin up

Reaction Score
When her Hopkins coach and Geno say she didn't and doesn't shoot enough, I agree with them. Many times she passes up an open shot to pass to someone else who may be more open, but is not a better shooter than her.
Her range is much farther than the three point line, and she doesn't take shots when her defender is just under the three point line. She would make a good % of those.
Aso, when UConn is up by 30/40 points, she basically stops shooting and just passes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Q: Does Paige Shoot/Score Enough?
Are we undefeated? There's your answer.

JMO folks Until we get more scoring from everybody else not named Paige or Aaliyah we need Paige shooting and scoring more as well as Aaliyah. Between now and the BE tournament we need more scorers or the burden is on Paige to score more points because nobody else is consistently steppin up

And if everyone else is scoring more that'll make it easier for Paige to get open looks in rhythm.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
and who is expected to step up consistently? choices are amari, ines, q, ice, kk, ash and nika. hmmm.

not a lot of, or likely, candidates.

Reaction Score
Paige is not a scorer and if she just takes more shots her percentages will just go down. Paige is a basketball player and for her to be successful she needs to play basketball which means to facilitate first score second and that is what she does and does really well. Could she score more? Yes I think she could but not at the efficiency levels she is hitting now.

Reaction Score
I like Paige at ~24 pts/g on >50% shooting. Counting FTs and 3s that amounts to about 17 shots/g. At that rate, she can make the game flow work better for her teammates than if she took 30+ shots/g. Currently she's at ~14 shots/g. I don't care for a UConn team with a ball-dominant stat-stuffer. 3 more shots/g would be enough.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like Paige at ~24 pts/g on >50% shooting. Counting FTs and 3s that amounts to about 17 shots/g. At that rate, she can make the game flow work better for her teammates than if she took 30+ shots/g. Currently she's at ~14 shots/g. I don't care for a UConn team with a ball-dominant stat-stuffer. 3 more shots/g would be enough.
Would you grants us 6 more a game?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There is a nice interview on YouTube with Maya Nnaji, Paiges old teammate at Hopkins, recently leaving basketball at Arizona. She talked about Paige a little, saying that she was so unselfish that she would feed the last person on the bench to get them shots, and that the Hopkins coach was always telling her to shoot more, just as Geno has done. Since she has done this her whole career, this shows how hard it will be for her to change her game, and of course, what kind of person she is.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
She only needs to shoot more if you can show that the shoots she allegedly passes up because she feeds someone cost the team points.

There's also the assumption that the more she shoots the more she scores. Is that a valid assumption?

Reaction Score
She only needs to shoot more if you can show that the shoots she allegedly passes up because she feeds someone cost the team points.

There's also the assumption that the more she shoots the more she scores. Is that a valid assumption?

I think it is a pretty safe bet that if Paige shoots more, she will score more.

Reaction Score
I'd like her to be more aggressive at times, especially in the 2nd halves of games. I think sometimes, in the early part of games, she's trying to get a read on the defense and tries to get others involved because it make the path to winning easier if others are engaged and playing well along side of her.

Reaction Score
We've seen Paige go nuts when she had to go nuts, so we know she can be more aggressive. Why this isn't her normal operating mode is baffling. Yes she should shoot more, right from the start of the game, not just in the 4th quarter when the game is in doubt.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
exactly right. ... and that is the issue.

paige indeed passes up shots that she should be taking when she's attempting to get someone else a better shot. she apparently doesn't realize that in fact the 'better' shot for a less talented shooter is not as good as the 'so-so' shot available to her.

for the good of the team's shot for victory, she's got to accept that. if her mindset is to keep teammates 'happy' and involved she is sacrificing giving the TEAM it's best chance to win.

looking at it that way, she's being kind of selfish ... putting her own desires -- boosting up her friends -- than actually helping the team win.

of course, she can do both simply by changing her priorities. her teammates (and fans) would rather see wins for the team than wins for individuals.

BTW, nika does the same thing. passing up great scoring opportunities in favor of being a facilitator. guess they really are 'slime.'

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a nice interview on YouTube with Maya Nnaji, Paiges old teammate at Hopkins, recently leaving basketball at Arizona. She talked about Paige a little, saying that she was so unselfish that she would feed the last person on the bench to get them shots, and that the Hopkins coach was always telling her to shoot more, just as Geno has done. Since she has done this her whole career, this shows how hard it will be for her to change her game, and of course, what kind of person she is.
I guess you didn't see the thread I started with this interview. I'm crushed! :D

Reaction Score
Paige is like a coach on the floor.

She wants to instal teamwork and confidence in her teamates during the regular season. The more they have opportunities, the more they will have confidence by the end of the conference tournament.

I predict that we will see her increase the volume of shots after the first game of the NCAA tournament by the Sweet 16, I think her volume of shots will increase by about 15-20% in the 16 and beyond when it’s win or go home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom