Does Kentucky run an offense? | The Boneyard

Does Kentucky run an offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this just a bunch of young NBA players who attack the rim on every possession with a curl from someone rotating from the outside to the foul line? And then someone down low taps it in if there is a miss?

They're an athletic bunch of players but in the UK games I have watched, they seem to have mastered the push-off down low or going to the rim without getting many fouls called. Kind of like certain ACC teams that get away with flopping.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The thing is the only offense they really need to run is putting a shot up as they kill the offensive boards. Evidently Squid ended up scrapping 70% of the dribble-drive playbook to minimize mistakes. Per a couple of analysts, the key to what they currently run is to always set up a rebounder opposite where the shot is coming from (off the dribble-drive).

I don't believe they are overly efficient but I also don't think they need to be considering their offensive rebounding and the second chance opportunities they get.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Is this just a bunch of young NBA players who attack the rim on every possession with a curl from someone rotating from the outside to the foul line? And then someone down low taps it in if there is a miss?

They're an athletic bunch of players but in the UK games I have watched, they seem to have mastered the push-off down low or going to the rim without getting many fouls called. Kind of like certain ACC teams that get away with flopping.
They look a lot like Memphis teams of a few years ago

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They look a lot like Memphis teams of a few years ago
Sort of stands to reason since, you know, the same guy coached Memphis a few years ago.

Reaction Score
The thing is the only offense they really need to run is putting a shot up as they kill the offensive boards. Evidently Squid ended up scrapping 70% of the dribble-drive playbook to minimize mistakes. Per a couple of analysts, the key to what they currently run is to always set up a rebounder opposite where the shot is coming from (off the dribble-drive).

I don't believe they are overly efficient but I also don't think they need to be considering their offensive rebounding and the second chance opportunities they get.

This is truly a precise analysis of their offense. They also live over the back. For young guys, they have been taught an outrageous number of dirty tricks during their AAU sojourns. From Randle's absolutely epic flops to the twins massacring referee morality, causing intense confusion on this season's cause celebre' - charging calls - they specialize in gray areas. This has been the most unlikable UK team in my memory.

Reaction Score

They kind of look like an old Big East team that plays the power game and hopes that the referees let them play with a minimum of fouls called. It's really pretty basic what they do.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the exact same thing watching the game last night. The difference between their offense and Wisc's was striking. I don't know if that makes it easier or harder to defend, but we will definitely have to rebound as least as well as we have been.

Reaction Score
The key to this game could be that they are turnover prone and we like to turnover teams. I can see SN and RB bothering their guards all game long. Rebounds will be big. We have to box out strong and cover the backdoor on defense since they like running someone along the baseline for alley-oops. If our defensive pressure and offensive efficiency put them in a hole, I can see a loss of composure and Coach Cal turning on his team again like during their losing streak at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Question: How are they from the foul line?
Can we afford fouls so we stay somewhat in control of the paint?

Reaction Score
Question: How are they from the foul line?
Can we afford fouls so we stay somewhat in control of the paint?

That's my biggest concern here with Kentucky. I am worried that Brimah, Nolan, Olander and the UConn student section will all have 4 fouls with 5 minutes left while Randal will have 1. That will make it hard for UConn to rebound (a key in the game) and for UConn's guards to drive and kick-out for jumpers from Boat/Bazz/Daniels/Giffey. If the refs call a fair game, UConn can hurt Kentucky on the drives and later from the charity strip where UConn has been shooting 90% while Kentucky has been around 60% (like most Coach Cal teams).

Reaction Score
I was thinking the exact same thing watching the game last night. The difference between their offense and Wisc's was striking. I don't know if that makes it easier or harder to defend, but we will definitely have to rebound as least as well as we have been.

Agree. Maybe it is just me, but I though Wisconsin played soft on defense down low. They also did not put much pressure on those freshman guards.

I definitely think Kentucky can be had with such a basic offense. Be waiting to see what Ollie has in store for them. This will be a signature moment in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom