Does anyone listen to Bill King on the radio? | The Boneyard

Does anyone listen to Bill King on the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with him per se, but his logic and way of thinking are indicative of the uphill battle a school like Uconn is going to have in CFB.

He constantly protects the current power structure that wants to rank teams based on everything but wins and give a huge leg up to schools with the top recruits. It's the same logic behind getting the best 4 schools for the new playoff format.
That's code for "the best 4 teams from the top 4 conferences"... Many times he's thrown out schools like Texas, Florida or even Auburn as not being NC caliber teams. This is based on facts known in June, 2+ months before the first game...

In his head the season is already over. He has his top 4 schools, and if the powers that be get their way, the system is going to protect those 4 schools so they have the best chance of making the playoff.

I'm guessing Bill King has similar views as the rest of the CFB pundits. And if that's true, and school's like Texas or Oklahoma aren't considered NC worthy, how does a school like Uconn ever going to get a sniff...

as long as NC's are decided off the field, Uconn has an uphill battle... Sure, winning will help. But you need to win over 20 years. Look at boise. They've been winning and they're still on the outside.

Reaction Score
I hear you Marty but put yourself in his place. If you had nothing to do with UConn, but were trying to gain an audience as a football radio host, wouldn't you be preaching his line? I guarantee those college football radio show listeners are skewed with barely 10% from the Northeast. Not many New Englanders are listening. And heres the scarier thing--The Nascar channel outdraws the football.

Reaction Score
I listened to him every day for a year or two, but then stopped because of hating how college football worked and him saying the same things about the same teams again and again and again.

In fairness to Bill King, he is truthful about where he's coming from. he talks about the big name teams, and wants them to succeed, because that draws interest in college football and listeners to his show. Hard to blame a guy who is perfectly honest about wanting what is best for him.

Reaction Score
I listen to him just about everyday, but only during my commute. He is a homer to the bigger schools, but it's better for business that way.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Big East fan call-in besides a couple of Rutgers fans.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so then its time for some loyal uconn fans to call in. just hearing our name a couple times helps and lets him know uconn fans are listening. every media chance any fan gets on this site should be taken advantage of for the good of the school. instead of just listening, call in next week sometime and talk to him about the ncst game or something. this is a fight all of us have to be committed to. that 1 phone call makes thousands of listeners hear uconn for 15 seconds. thats better than no phone call at all. thats how you build media attention and a bigger fanbase. 1 step at a time.

Reaction Score
I listen to him just about everyday, but only during my commute. He is a homer to the bigger schools, but it's better for business that way.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Big East fan call-in besides a couple of Rutgers fans.
I listen on my commute as well. It's frustrating to listen at times. You get a rutgers call now and then and that's it..

you can't listen for 10 minutes without some comment about Bama or LSU whether it's recruiting or a particularr game. Regardless of the coverage, you still get the daily caller going "hey Bill... Just curious about your insight on Bama's team this year." And like they've never covered that school, the guy from Athlon talks about Bama for 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
You think Bill King ignores us, start listening around 3pm to Paul Feinbaum--it's pure SEC. He treats almost every other conference with sneerful disdain--and his audience loves it. I don't remember ever hearing any caller from New England.

Reaction Score
You think Bill King ignores us, start listening around 3pm to Paul Feinbaum--it's pure SEC. He treats almost every other conference with sneerful disdain--and his audience loves it. I don't remember ever hearing any caller from New England.
I remember F-Baum interviewing FHCRE for a good 20 minutes one afternoon as a preview of the FiestaBowl. Other than that, nada.

Reaction Score
I remember F-Baum interviewing FHCRE for a good 20 minutes one afternoon as a preview of the FiestaBowl. Other than that, nada.

I may be wrong, but I think that Finebaum's show is actually based out of Birmingham and just syndicated on Sirius/XM.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think both of those are correct. i actually saw a post on a b12 board last year about the show and uconn was mentioned one day in the notes the poster wrote. also i have tweeted him a couple times with things over the past year just to put uconn on his radar.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but I think that Finebaum's show is actually based out of Birmingham and just syndicated on Sirius/XM.
You are correct. Fbaum has been on Birmingham radio stations for almost 30 years. He also was a writer for the old Birmingham Post Herald. He is a TN grad but a Bama fan since childhood. His host of radio characters has evolved over the years but there is always a generous sprinkling of red neck Bama, Auburn & TN fans. Most people listen to him for comic relief but the callers are real. Few of them ever set foot in a classroom at the school they support. ND has its subway alums AU and UA have their pickup and tractor alums. He always makes an effort to include a good number of non SEC coaches in the interview portions of his show, which really are the best part of the show. As far as the callers go it is 55% Bama, 40% Auburn, 5% all others. Don't know what his immediate future holds since he is in a contract dispute with the flagship station here in B'ham. The station was sold and he contends that the sale breached his contract.

Reaction Score
These guys are going to talk about whatever there is an audience for. It's no coincidence that they talk SEC football and the largest and most rabid fan bases are in the SEC.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's been a good 6 months since I listened to Fbaum, but my recollection was that his show was 50% bama-auburn, 35% rest-of-sec, 15% rest-of-cfb. And that's probably the listening demographic breakdown as well.

Reaction Score
These guys are going to talk about whatever there is an audience for. It's no coincidence that they talk SEC football and the largest and most rabid fan bases are in the SEC.
Some walk a fine line between rabib and psychotic I probably listen to Fbaum in the car 3-4 hours a week. I have heard grown men go all to pieces or ballastic over the loss of either a game or recruit they thought should attend the school they support. I believe that Birmingham metro at about 1.5 million, (media market almost 2.5 million) is the largest metro without some sort of pro sport franchise. The reason is that AU and UA suck all the air out of the sports scene.

Reaction Score
Not contradicting any of the above but I find the FBaum program unlistenable because of the nonstop 2nd grade foodfight between Ala-Aub "fans" who clearly never set foot in any facility of higher learning. Why it has a national platform I'm not sure.

As for Bill I get where he's coming from and while the show is interesting at times it's mostly because of the guests. Don't get me wrong he's a good host and has created a good product but his opinions are very predictable. I always preferred Chris Childers who comes off as more of an educated fan that doesn't get caught up in the conventional thinking bubble.

In any case I don't think you'll get much satisfaction from calling Bill's show until we actually play some games in the new conference and beat a few OOC foes. Until then we are likely to be faced with a skeptical audience and possibly a dismissive one. Just win.

Reaction Score
yes... Finebaum is a known bama supporter and doesn't hide it... King is out of Nashville I believe.

Reaction Score
My commute goes past 9 and so I listen to Mark Packer too. He is a Clemson alum living in NC. If you want to listen to gratuitous Big East bashing based on half the facts, this is your show.

Reaction Score
My commute goes past 9 and so I listen to Mark Packer too. He is a Clemson alum living in NC. If you want to listen to gratuitous Big East bashing based on half the facts, this is your show.

Yeah, I think either he or Jack Arute started railing on the Big East for like 20-30 minutes last week because of how the women's volleyball team at Providence was going to have to travel all the way to SDSU or Boise to play games. I tried to call into to correct those idiots but shockingly the lines were full.

Reaction Score

The callers to the PF show are like listening to a Swamp People marathon!

Reaction Score
I was listening To Feinbaum in the car when my wife (who was desperately trying to switch the station) heard a comment from one of the swamp people (lol--huskymedic) and said" what language are they speaking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom