Dobbs to Temple | The Boneyard

Dobbs to Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well here in the valley ppl wore excited that dobbs was going to UConn. This is too bad and continues are bad luck stretch with Ansonia kids. Lets hope newsome stays in state..

Reaction Score
Although I'm disappointed Montrell isn't coming to UConn..I'm happy for him that he is gettng a full scholarship so he can get his education and play D-1A football at the sametime. I hope he continues his success both in the classroom and on the field. I also take it that Temple isn't in a BCS conference that allows him to go there without having to go the JUCO route like he would have to do if he wanted to go to UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So does this mean that he is NCAA eligible, but UConn won't admit him?

Reaction Score
So does this mean that he is NCAA eligible, but UConn won't admit him?
I believe that BCS schools (UConn) can NOT accept partial qualifiers. Non BCS schools (temple) can. I am not 100 % certain on this but very confident that this is the reason.

Reaction Score
He'll be joining tyler matakevich--another Milford academy grad--@ temple.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Ansonia High, fairly or unfairly, is starting to develop a bad academic reputation. This in no way is a negative reflection on Mr. Dobbs individually, but the track record of kids coming out of that school is checkered, to be kind.

I wish Montrell and his family well at Temple - if they don't wander too far away from Broad Street, they'll be just fine...

Reaction Score
if Uconn wasn't an option the kid made a good move, best of luck to him.

Reaction Score
Ansonia High, fairly or unfairly, is starting to develop a bad academic reputation. This in no way is a negative reflection on Mr. Dobbs individually, but the track record of kids coming out of that school is checkered, to be kind.

I wish Montrell and his family well at Temple - if they don't wander too far away from Broad Street, they'll be just fine...

I find that statement both offensive and unfounded. There have been two players, Ken Tinney and Eric Kuraczea, from Ansonia who had academic issues. Unfortunately they are the most recent and seem to jade people's memory. Dobbs did what he was asked to do, unfortunately somebody dropped the ball along the way. He believed he was going to enroll at UConn in January. There have been a number of Ansonia players who played and graduated from UConn over the years. Most recently, Luke Richmond (QB). There have also been a number of Ansonia athletes who have gone on to play and/or graduate from other universities (Alex Thomas/Yale, Tristan Roberts/Monmouth, Steve Coughlin/Stanford, John Coughlin/Columbia, Kevin Sharkey/Brown, Romando Stallings/San Diego St., and many others at FCS schools). I myself graduated from Ansonia, played baseball and basketball at UCAP, before transferring and graduating Magna Cum Laude from SCSU. You can look at any high school in the country and find athletes who aren't cutting it academically. To make a blanket statement about Ansonia's academic reputation based on the inadequacies of two former athletes, is asinine and unfair to those student athletes who have achieved strong academic standing at various colleges and universities.

Montrell had to do what was best for him and his aspirations of playing in the NFL. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. However, as much as many of you or I would have loved to see him as a Husky, Temple is a great spot for him. He's going to play for Steve Addazio, who has coached some great running backs, and loves to run the football. I wish Montrell the best and hope he continues to focus on academics and his dream of playing on Sundays.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
temple got some quality ct kids this year. they almost got rennick until we offered. dobbs will do real well there. wasn't suprised by the decision. i hinted in the hs thread about it. good luck tyler and mont. its funny that after the milford season enrich ended up at a bcs school and the others didn't. good luck to all.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wish him well at Temple.

I am thinking UConn will only get one back in this class unless they can get someone else's verbal by signing day

Reaction Score
I find that statement both offensive and unfounded. There have been two players, Ken Tinney and Eric Kuraczea, from Ansonia who had academic issues. Unfortunately they are the most recent and seem to jade people's memory. Dobbs did what he was asked to do, unfortunately somebody dropped the ball along the way. He believed he was going to enroll at UConn in January. There have been a number of Ansonia players who played and graduated from UConn over the years. Most recently, Luke Richmond (QB). There have also been a number of Ansonia athletes who have gone on to play and/or graduate from other universities (Alex Thomas/Yale, Tristan Roberts/Monmouth, Steve Coughlin/Stanford, John Coughlin/Columbia, Kevin Sharkey/Brown, Romando Stallings/San Diego St., and many others at FCS schools). I myself graduated from Ansonia, played baseball and basketball at UCAP, before transferring and graduating Magna Cum Laude from SCSU. You can look at any high school in the country and find athletes who aren't cutting it academically. To make a blanket statement about Ansonia's academic reputation based on the inadequacies of two former athletes, is asinine and unfair to those student athletes who have achieved strong academic standing at various colleges and universities.

Montrell had to do what was best for him and his aspirations of playing in the NFL. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. However, as much as many of you or I would have loved to see him as a Husky, Temple is a great spot for him. He's going to play for Steve Addazio, who has coached some great running backs, and loves to run the football. I wish Montrell the best and hope he continues to focus on academics and his dream of playing on Sundays.

No one here doesn't wish Montrell well. And no one here is knocking everyone who has ever graduated from Ansonia High School, athlete or not. But that having been said, add Dobbs to the Bus and Tinney and you can go back as far as you want, but it would be naive to believe UConn fans won't be concerned about recruiting Ansonia. Why shouldn't we be? Because it offends you?

Reaction Score
Big Time College Football + Temple = Witness Protection. Great for Dobbs if he's serious about using football as a means to get a quality education. If his intention was to play D1 football at the highest level I'm guessing he's not well versed in the BCS/D1 landscape as it exists. Temple, to my knowledge, hasn't been mentioned as a possible addition to the ACC, Big 12, B1G, SEC or PAC12. So let's hope it's ALL about football as a means to an education end.

Reaction Score
Ok Dobbs is gone. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. His grades weren't right to get into UConn. There's nothing the program can do. They picked up Williams instead and are moving forward. It is always nice to keep the talented CT players in state at Uconn, of course. I am a huge supporter of this in fact. But it just wasn't going to happen. Things didn't line up and Dobbs was forced to make a decision. As a former athlete, you always want to play sometimes it doesn't matter where. WHo knows what he plans to do in the future, but he won't be a husky in 2012 thats the nature of College Football recruiting.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this was going to be a 2 back class. i wonder if we leave the spot open for a back in next years or we go after some 1 late.

Reaction Score
this was going to be a 2 back class. i wonder if we leave the spot open for a back in next years or we go after some 1 late.

Haven't heard any other mention about anyone else though? Although Williams came out of no where. I wonder if a Juco comes in or another freshman a little under the radar?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Haven't heard any other mention about anyone else though? Although Williams came out of no where. I wonder if a Juco comes in or another freshman a little under the radar?

williams was like dobbs, they lined this up over the summer.

well there are some good 1's left but i don't think were in play with them really.
the boston college shopping major ak lynch is on his way to OK most likely.
albert reid, barkley hill are both good but i don't think were in the convo. tevin shaw is still uncommitted, we alteast offered and were though well of at 1 point.

several other schools are looking for a back though. iowa is for sure, same with ok. bc will be if they can but that class is falling apart it looks like. psu would love anyone willing to play there.

i bet the torrington kid gets a look soon enough. if he is in fact worthy of bcs play then he would add some depth to a roster for sure. he clearly has the skills, seems like speed is the issue.

Reaction Score
Big Time College Football + Temple = Witness Protection. Great for Dobbs if he's serious about using football as a means to get a quality education. If his intention was to play D1 football at the highest level I'm guessing he's not well versed in the BCS/D1 landscape as it exists. Temple, to my knowledge, hasn't been mentioned as a possible addition to the ACC, Big 12, B1G, SEC or PAC12. So let's hope it's ALL about football as a means to an education end.

Completely disagree. Temple has been doing a good job producing NFL players under Golden and A. They nearly beat Pen State this year, this is a program on the upswing. Conference affiliation is not the be all end all for some programs.

Reaction Score
I think we knew quite a while back that Dobbs wasn't coming to UCONN, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Temple, Marshall, they are all good options. One has to wonder if the change in coaching staffs also played into this. If memory serves he was originally recruited by Edsall, but didn't quite make it academically and went to prep for a year. A new regime, with a new approach and a year to think about it may not have been willing to fight for him as hard with the admissions office. I know its harsh, but this is big time football and those things happen. I do agree that UCONN and I think the Big East doesn't allow partial qualifiers for football. I thought it was a conference by conference decision and that all BCS leagues but the SEC and maybe the Big 12 had similar rules. But that might be "old news" and all the BCS leagues are playing by the same rules now.

Reaction Score

The statement is not unfounded. The last 3 Ansonia kids, UConn was involved with, failed miserably to either get into, or stay in UConn.
Regarding Luke Richmond, he entered UConn highly regarded. He underperformed, and never finished his eligibility. Regarding the Coughlin who attended Stamford, he may have graduated from there but his playing time wasn't great, and, it's not clear if he played his 4 years, or not.
Considering the reputation of Ansonia football, I would think they could do a better job of preparing their players to be successful, in football & academics at the next level.
Hey, you might be offended by this, but, it's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom