Do not look at the Big East's record | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do not look at the Big East's record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll give you credit once you make up your mind no amount of evidence to the contrary is ever going to change it.

The evidence is against you actually.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, Butler settles it. Big East is dominating.

Is it a good league? Yes. But last year we kept hearing about its supremacy over AAC. It was wildly overrated.

So, if people say it's an overrated conference, that means we don't want to admit it's good?

It was clearly overrated last year. How much clearer can things be before you admit that?

It's a better league than the AAC. It's not even close.

But I'm glad you can at least admit it's a good league.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
At least we have sub-par football. It makes us better.

Reaction Score
Well, that settles it. Big East is dominating.

Is it a good league? Yes. But last year we kept hearing about its supremacy over AAC. It was wildly overrated.

So, if people say it's an overrated conference, that means we don't want to admit it's good?

It was clearly overrated last year. How much clearer can things be before you admit that?

I'm not sure what you are remembering, but there weren't many people who thought the Big East had a great year last year. Had Creighton won the BE tournament, PC goes to the NIT and the league only gets 3 bids. The AAC vs Big East was a very legitimate argument last year. The top half of the AAC was better (our dismantling of Nova validated that too) but the bottom half was so bad that the overall RPI, KenPom, etc. favored the Big East.

But so far this year, it's not even a question which league has been better. It's fine if you still think Nova is overrated, but then what the heck do you think about SMU?

Reaction Score
It's a good league. I don't know why that pains people to admit.

That league doesn't bother this board, you bother this board. You started this thread with the sole intention of bothering this board. You thrive on misery and act like you are smarter than every else, but in reality you are the biggest loser posting on this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That league doesn't bother this board, you bother this board. You started this thread with the sole intention of bothering this board. You thrive on misery and act like you are smarter than every else, but in reality you are the biggest loser posting on this board.

When you can't fight the facts make personal attacks. Well done.

Reaction Score
It's definitely a better league than ours this year by a good margin. They already, with today's win by Butler adding to it, have enough of a solid non-conference performance that their RPIs will stay high when they start playing each other. So it's probably already a certainty that they'll get more bids - maybe 5-6, while we get two.

But ultimately it comes down to us. I'll be happy to punk their best team in the second round again on the way to bigger and better things, while they can hang their hat about being in a better top to bottom league this year.

Reaction Score
BIG EAST IS BACK BABY!!!!!! I can't wait to get my Big East Tournament tickets. I'm so hyped. Its been crazy watching all these games on FS1/ESPN. Villanova has been freaking impressive... and now Butler.

I know its early... But this is great basketball right now in the B.E... If Providence somehow pulls an upset over Kentucky this sunday (yes, I can Dream! ) expect four out of ten B.E teams to be ranked in the AP25

Reaction Score
FriarJ, you guys have a good squad this year and I really hope Dunn can stay injury free and do his thing this season.

Reaction Score
I think Providence has a solid squad, but I'll be impressed if they keep it within 20 of Kentucky. It's just not the same playing field.

BTW - I noticed the sweetheart deal PC gave Kentucky. One game in Brooklyn and one at Rupp? I don't blame them for doing so, and Kentucky might be a more coveted get than UConn, but how can you bend over for Kentucky and then get mad when UConn doesn't schedule a home and home with you?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are remembering, but there weren't many people who thought the Big East had a great year last year. Had Creighton won the BE tournament, PC goes to the NIT and the league only gets 3 bids. The AAC vs Big East was a very legitimate argument last year. The top half of the AAC was better (our dismantling of Nova validated that too) but the bottom half was so bad that the overall RPI, KenPom, etc. favored the Big East.

But so far this year, it's not even a question which league has been better. It's fine if you still think Nova is overrated, but then what the heck do you think about SMU?

I'm talking about the Boneyard.

Whatever the RPI and SOS was for either conference, UConn's RPI was good enough for a 4 or 5 seed, and Louisville's was better than the 5th seed they got. SOS was 20-25 for UConn. So UConn was badly seeded, while Villanova was overseeded.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
It's a better league than the AAC. It's not even close.

But I'm glad you can at least admit it's a good league.

It certainly wasn't last year.

And you wrote this same post last year.

If you repeat it every year, then yeah eventually you'll be correct.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It certainly wasn't last year.

And you wrote this same post last year.

If you repeat it every year, then yeah eventually you'll be correct.

It is a better league. It was a better league last year and it's not even in the same universe this year. I'm not talking about a handful of games in a single tournament. It's made up mostly of schools that have actual programs. The AAC is made up mostly of schools that field teams.

I know the only ratings that matter are the Upstater ratings but if you were to consult ratings done by people that know how to actually quantify things you would understand just how dumb this constant converation is.

Reaction Score
Saw he was gimpy against Notre Dame but was hoping it was nothing, don't see how you keep it close against Kentucky without Dunn and Lindsey. Hopefully it's just a couple of games.

Reaction Score
It is a better league. It was a better league last year and it's not even in the same universe this year. I'm not talking about a handful of games in a single tournament. It's made up mostly of schools that have actual programs. The AAC is made up mostly of schools that field teams.

I know the only ratings that matter are the Upstater ratings but if you were to consult ratings done by people that know how to actually quantify things you would understand just how dumb this constant converation is.

A better league last year, ROFL.

BE: 4 teams in the NCAA. All gone by the second round. 2-4 record.
AAC: 4 teams, 9-3 record

Even the 2 NIT teams did squat. St. John's lost to Robert Morris. Some tough conference there. Their champ got steamrolled in the 2nd round of the NIT.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A better league last year, ROFL.

BE: 4 teams in the NCAA. All gone by the second round. 2-4 record.
AAC: 4 teams, 9-3 record

Even the 2 NIT teams did squat. St. John's lost to Robert Morris. Some tough conference there. Their champ got steamrolled in the 2nd round of the NIT.

Exactly you are going on the outcome of a handful of tournament games and ignoring the entire season.

Also including Louisville in the AAC numbers is pretty hilarious. Maybe that is why you are laughing so hard.

Reaction Score
Exactly you are going on the outcome of a handful of tournament games and ignoring the entire season.

Also including Louisville in the AAC numbers is pretty hilarious. Maybe that is why you are laughing so hard.

Louisville was in the AAC last year. Holy cow. That's the whole entire point here. Louisville was underseeded BECAUSE they were in the AAC, as was UConn.

The BE was overseeded.

A handful of tournament games? The way to measure teams across conferences is the tournament. That's the whole entire point.

Now I see why you're having so much trouble.

Reaction Score

It was multiple teams. Not just one. And multiple BE teams flopped.

The larger point is the seeding. If you're looking at ratings like whaler is, the AAC was underseeded relative to ratings, and even with the underseeding (which puts you up against tougher competition) it performed well. The BE on the other hand wss overseeded relative to their ratings, and they flopped in the tournament.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You'll never see his logic because it is twisted and backwards. You have to weigh only the criteria he chooses - and you have to ignore every single computer ranking and poll - he can rank 350 teams in his head better than people like Ken Pomeroy can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By Upstaters logic if you put UConn and Louisville in the SWAC last year it's the best conference in the country because they would be 9-1 in the tournament and wouldn't have any NIT losses.

Because when you are comparing conferences you only compare the best teams and ignore everyone else.

Reaction Score
You'll never see his logic because it is twisted and backwards. You have to weigh only the criteria he chooses - and you have to ignore every single computer ranking and poll - he can rank 350 teams in his head better than people like Ken Pomeroy can.

Yes, Ignore my criteria: winning tournament games you should win. Ignoring winning in the tournament. Just focus on the other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom