DJ Wagner Enters The Portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DJ Wagner Enters The Portal

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If you're interested in Wagner then here's a good article to read.

Regardless of whether it's at Kentucky, Arkansas, or a new location altogether, what does DJ Wagner need to do to regain the form he showed as a youngster?

It's a multifaceted answer, layered with variables including his outside shooting, decision-making, and pace of play. Most importantly, he needs to get his confidence back.

Thank you interesting article. Sounds like he needs to go some where and find himself. Like an isolated place where all there is is ball and class and accountability. For the life of me I can’t think of any place like that;).

But it could be he never gets that confidence back. I know his chances are better in a system where there is accountability. But you never know what the risk is with some one in this position. Certainly seems like it could be high reward but higher risk. It will be interesting to see how or if this develops.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Prevailing thoughts of the Wagners?

Calipari hired Milt, signed Dejuan and then signed DJ. Maybe they're done with him but that's a lot of history.
Don't forget World Wide Wes.

Reaction Score
Prevailing thoughts of the Wagners?

Calipari hired Milt, signed Dejuan and then signed DJ. Maybe they're done with him but that's a lot of history.
Yes, the Wagner’s assumed he would go to Kentucky and be one and done. Things didn’t quite pan out that way. I am not suggesting there is any ill will and surely he can end up at Arkansas, but I just heard people talk as if it isn’t a certainty.

Reaction Score
If he's ready and willing, sounds like he could benefit greatly from our team-first culture. With our guard depth he could theoretically just get back to playing without all the immediate expectations. A summer in Storrs could be just what the doctor ordered.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
A potentially very good player on the college level, but was vastly overrated to the family name, and all the hype surrounding Camden basketball
The 64 is completely erroneous
Saw him play in high school, and I would say he’s closer to 62
I think calling him a point a guard is probably a stretch
A decent but not great shooter
Can get to the rim a bit of
Has the skills to be a good defender
Got the reality check when he went to college there is not a one and done lotto pick that many were projecting him to be when he was a sophomore in high school
Seems like he has a good attitude, but on the face of it doesn’t seem like any kind of fit with Uconn UConn
If he is only 6’2” that’s a huge difference. Thought he looked bigger but I will take your word. 6’2” is a game changer we already have Ball and he is 6’3” with a ridiculous wing span.

Reaction Score
Surprised he’s not going pro.
His dad should know the pitfalls. He probably doesn’t need the money as much either. I am sure his dad stocked some away for at least a comfortable life.

I think he only goes if he is top 20.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Think this one is a pass, unless he's really about the team first and NBA second. But a former top 10 recruit, son of an NBA player, is probably looking for a feature role.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Most of these Kentucky guys are going to follow Calipari.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine turning this kid into an NBA'er after Calipari didn't? He did get injured and had a stretch (even though I'm not supposed to reference small game samples) where he took the backseat to Dillingham and Shephard. When I watched, he seemed to attack the rim fairly well.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A potentially very good player on the college level, but was vastly overrated to the family name, and all the hype surrounding Camden basketball
The 64 is completely erroneous
Saw him play in high school, and I would say he’s closer to 62
I think calling him a point a guard is probably a stretch
A decent but not great shooter
Can get to the rim a bit of
Has the skills to be a good defender
Got the reality check when he went to college there is not a one and done lotto pick that many were projecting him to be when he was a sophomore in high school
Seems like he has a good attitude, but on the face of it doesn’t seem like any kind of fit with Uconn UConn
Agreed with everything here. He was pretty overrated in HS. Undersized combo guard that’s not an elite athlete or has any elite skills.

Don’t see how he would fit.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Most of these Kentucky guys are going to follow Calipari.
That’s becoming apparent so the beat goes on. They will follow him all the way regardless. It is to easy to get caught up in this part of the season with all the what if’s. Better to take it all with a grain of salt and wait for official announcements.

Reaction Score
Call me a cynic, but I have little interest in taking anyone transferring from Kentucky. That program is (or at least was under Cal) the antithesis of what we want our program to be. I am very skeptical that any kid who chose Cal would fit into the UConn culture.

Reaction Score
Call me a cynic, but I have little interest in taking anyone transferring from Kentucky. That program is (or at least was under Cal) the antithesis of what we want our program to be. I am very skeptical that any kid who chose Cal would fit into the UConn culture.
Tend to agree. If they chose UK in the first place, they likely have priorities that aren’t winning. Saw a Cal quote recently where he has to address his kids at practice to put their phones down because they were all looking at where they were in mocks. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Point taken. However, I saw that he received offers from Kentucky, Louisville and Syracuse. For a 16 or 17 year old kid, he probably made the smart choice. Villanova was in the mix but with Neptune, so...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I believe he’s friends with Ahmad Nowell. Philly/Camden hoops legends. Active on each others socials. He has the quickest first step I think I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
Cal kissed his butt. Would be shocked if DJ didn't follow him. Didn't Cal give Wagner's Dad a job on the staff to get him?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Cal kissed his butt. Would be shocked if DJ didn't follow him. Didn't Cal give Wagner's Dad a job on the staff to get him?
maybe since he’s already gotten his bag he’s ready to focus on basketball? Idk tho, father situation seems weird. Maybe Hurley knows him. We definitely have a spot for a 2 guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom