DJ Hernandez quits coaching? | The Boneyard

DJ Hernandez quits coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least he found a good job, with less stress. Coaching is one tough profession, let alone his situation with his brother. He's still young and can always get back into coaching if he gets that itch again to coach. Probably best he gets out of the public eye at least for now.

Reaction Score
No one wants to hear this ... but I think Aaron Hernandez would have been far better off with his brother at UConn than getting with Urban Meyer praying together. (and hanging with the boys in clubs all over Florida) There are certainly contra arguments; but, I thought this during his recruiting & still think this. Tragedy for DJ for sure as well.

Reaction Score
What's DJ's connection to the roofing industry or Dallas? Sounds like there might be a former teammate or fellow coach that is reaching out to an old friend in an unsettled time. Good for him.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine how hard it is for DJ Hernandez right now - I can absolutely understand why he would want to step backwards into a 9-5 where he can get his feet back underneath him.
I'd say his feet are underneath him. It's probably more or less removing himself from the football scene, sinking into the background and trying to be just a regular guy. Texas is a big state, far removed from CT. Could be one way to elude the National spot light and get on with his life quietly.

Reaction Score
This was interesting:

He (another coach, Johnson) grew increasingly unhappy at work, and said he didn't enjoy the job every day.

"I didn't always enjoy being around the people in that building all the time," he said. "How we did things changed a little bit and the attitudes had changed. When I first went to Iowa, we were all there to work together for one common goal. When I started reflecting on what I wanted to do with my life, I don't think we had that anymore."

Johnson cited an unwillingness on Iowa's part to compete for higher-level recruits and a 110-hour work week that hampered his ability to be present as a father for his daughters. It's also not hard to read into where HN says Johnson "describ[es] Ferentz's coaching in the early years of the program as some of the best examples of leadership he'd ever seen." The early years were a long time ago, man.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Best of luck to DJ, came across as a nice guy when I met him. I cannot imagine what he is going through. Agreed that it is probably a relief to get out of football and just win at the game of life.

Reaction Score
Heard from a reliable source that his grad assistant position expired and that DJ actually interviewed for other coaching positions. He even interviewed with Edsall. But no luck. His brother's situation really hurt his chances .

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would LOVE nothing more than for DJ to end up here in some capacity at some point. I, too, can't imagine what he and his family has gone through in the course of the past few years. I know that his extended UConn family would welcome him with open arms.

Reaction Score
I would LOVE nothing more than for DJ to end up here in some capacity at some point. I, too, can't imagine what he and his family has gone through in the course of the past few years. I know that his extended UConn family would welcome him with open arms.
I totally agree. I would be ecstatic if he would end up coaching at UConn. I really feel horrible for the situation he is in. It doesn't seem fair that he is paying for the sins of his brother.

Reaction Score
Good chance he is making 6 figures as the roofing industry can be big money for the right company.

No doubt it's just a stop on his way up the business ladder.

DJ was the classic overachiever. No one will out work him on the field or in business.

Reaction Score
DJ is as solid a citizen as you will find and a great ambassador for this program. Wishing him all the best. No doubt in my mind that his last name is a hindrance right now in the coaching ranks

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Coaching is definitely an "up or out" business. Sounds like DJ is making the right move.

Reaction Score
No one wants to hear this ... but I think Aaron Hernandez would have been far better off with his brother at UConn than getting with Urban Meyer praying together. (and hanging with the boys in clubs all over Florida) There are certainly contra arguments; but, I thought this during his recruiting & still think this. Tragedy for DJ for sure as well.

A guy like that was always going to be a guy like that. Yes, Urban Meyer tolerates all sorts of criminal behavior, and seemingly gets a pass for it, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Aaron Hernandez was ever going to be anything other than what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom