Disrespected Again | The Boneyard

Disrespected Again

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It seems that every day somebody writes something, or I see a video that says that UConn is down, UConn is finished, UConn is on the way out. Well, this thread actually doesn't address that, not even about the team at all. Last night while in bed I was surfing YouTube and I came across a video from Back to Back sports. The title was the 5 best womens basketball coaches. Ok, well, we will see how they rate the coaches after Gino. #1 was not Geno, but Dawn Staley. I guess I would let that one go, since she has been the top force the last few years, and I give her credit for that. #2, NOT Geno, but Kim. I didn't like that, because Kim is a portal person, a crazy woman who can't keep her players in order. I think her program is a complete mess. #3, OMG, NOT Geno, but Corie Close. Speechless, come on, are you kidding? As far as I can see, she shouldn't even be in the top 10. Geno was relegated to a tie with Tara for 4th and 5th place. This is an insult to the greatest WBB coach of all time. Yes, the team hasn't performed on the court like in the past, but because of all the injuries I think he has done a masterful job just to keep the team competitive. Geno will always be the GOAT, and I don't care about any of these hacks opinions. Geez.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Back to Back Sports loves to put out silly click bait. Pull Betts and Rice from UCLA and put them on UConn and we are undefeated. Close can recruit but hasn't won anything.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was also in bed, laptop on my chest, and watched this "click bait." People seem to forget that Dawn has lost as favorite more often than not. Botox I will not comment on. Other coaches have pointed out that Geno's coaching brilliance is most on display when he has to adjust a team due to injuries. We are seeing this again this season.

Reaction Score
It seems that every day somebody writes something, or I see a video that says that UConn is down, UConn is finished, UConn is on the way out. Well, this thread actually doesn't address that, not even about the team at all. Last night while in bed I was surfing YouTube and I came across a video from Back to Back sports. The title was the 5 best womens basketball coaches. Ok, well, we will see how they rate the coaches after Gino. #1 was not Geno, but Dawn Staley. I guess I would let that one go, since she has been the top force the last few years, and I give her credit for that. #2, NOT Geno, but Kim. I didn't like that, because Kim is a portal person, a crazy woman who can't keep her players in order. I think her program is a complete mess. #3, OMG, NOT Geno, but Corie Close. Speechless, come on, are you kidding? As far as I can see, she shouldn't even be in the top 10. Geno was relegated to a tie with Tara for 4th and 5th place. This is an insult to the greatest WBB coach of all time. Yes, the team hasn't performed on the court like in the past, but because of all the injuries I think he has done a masterful job just to keep the team competitive. Geno will always be the GOAT, and I don't care about any of these hacks opinions. Geez.
uh yeah. Cori is not near the top. She hasn't done near as much as the three women you named - or Brenda -or Vic -or Jeff or Wes. Maybe she will catch the three males not named Geno but she's not there yet. She is certainly not at the level of coaches with championships.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was also in bed, laptop on my chest, and watched this "click bait." People seem to forget that Dawn has lost as favorite more often than not. Botox I will not comment on. Other coaches have pointed out that Geno's coaching brilliance is most on display when he has to adjust a team due to injuries. We are seeing this again this season.
Lost as favorite last year. Won as favorite the year before. Did not get to play as the (co-) favorite in 2020 and won with Aj'a as a non-favorite. I guess you could say "as often as not" but not "more often as not."

Reaction Score
Anything that does not have Coach G number 1, I tend to move on.

Reaction Score
Lost as favorite last year. Won as favorite the year before. Did not get to play as the (co-) favorite in 2020 and won with Aj'a as a non-favorite. I guess you could say "as often as not" but not "more often as not."
After we lost to Mississippi State in the semis, SC was the favorite in the NC game against them.

Reaction Score
I assume that list is only applicable to right now, this very moment, no history or past matters, and I'm going to say something really controversial about Geno because I know the UCONN fans will respond and I will gain notoriety. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
That site is now dealing with a massive loss of credibility!:cool: This was so silly it’s hard to even be upset about it! Geno is clearly #1 and as for all the others, even Staley, who I respect greatly, imo would not have weathered the absolute storm of injuries that UConn has suffered nearly as well as Geno! As for Close, she has the big stud right now and is riding high (kudos to her) but she has underachieved so often in the recent past that to put her ahead of Geno or Tara is ludicrous! I could easily name 5-10 coaches better than Cori Close! I mean no disrespect toward her, obviously she’s a decent coach, but to say she’s the third best coach in women’s basketball is simply delusional!

Reaction Score
Cori Close? Cori Close? Now I remember. About 10 years ago (or so) she and her entire coaching staff flew in to watch UConn practices and they used Geno as a mentor and his program as a model to learn how to better coaches. Now the student is a better coach than the master? How many national championships has she won? How many other Geno records is she on the statistical path of breaking? Sorry. She is a UCLA basketball coach, but she ain’t no John Woodin. What a joke.

Reaction Score
I kinda like the Back2Sports guy, and I wasn't offended by this video. I disagree with him, of course. But he wasn't asking who the GOAT is. He was ranking the top-5 and I take that to mean right now.

I suspect Geno might agree with a lot of this, certainly with putting Dawn and maybe even Kim above him. Like it or not, the portal is what's happening these days and those two have played the portal game better than he did. In fact, the video includes a clip of him saying how hard it is to connect with young players as you get older.

I also agree with Jeff Walz that the portal frenzy will subside after the covid exception expires, and then they'll be back to recruiting as the primary source of talent. NIL is a wildcard here, but it is likely to evolve, too. What I mean to say is this list may look a lot different 2 or 3 years from now.

I also agree that it's premature to put Cori so high, with no significant record of achievement other than getting Betts through the portal. And I am skeptical of her in-game coaching. If we're going to rank coaches on potential and intermediate achievement, I'd put Bluder, Moren, Ivey, Collin and especially Carla well above her.

As for Tara, it used to be Geno v Tara every year, and it seems like she has faded a bit more quickly, while Geno is still going strong and would top this list but for cruel fate (i.e. injuries).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m surprised by Close, but the ranking is likely based on the wording of the question. Who is the best coach ever? That is clearly Geno. Pat may be second. Who is the best coach of the past 5 years or so? I think Dawn is likely #1, and Kim probably is #2. Both have 2 championships since Geno’s last one. Geno’s full career trumps everyone, but his results have dropped off, especially the last 2+ injury riddled seasons.

Reaction Score
Back to Back Sports loves to put out silly click bait. Pull Betts and Rice from UCLA and put them on UConn and we are undefeated. Close can recruit but hasn't won anything.
Click bait? one could argue this thread is click bait.

the video is neither here nor there..... not interested. Opinions abound, mostly just designed to hit a nerve in someone. anyone. We should just ignore and move on.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised by Close, but the ranking is likely based on the wording of the question. Who is the best coach ever? That is clearly Geno. Pat may be second. Who is the best coach of the past 5 years or so? I think Dawn is likely #1, and Kim probably is #2. Both have 2 championships since Geno’s last one. Geno’s full career trumps everyone, but his results have dropped off, especially the last 2+ injury riddled seasons.
Hey Milford, I was thinking the same thing. Best coach ever is Geno until someone breaks his 11 titles, 110+ wins in a row, 14 straight final fours, etc. etc.
Just looking at the last five years or the years since his last title---One has to lean toward Dawn and Kim with 2 titles each. That's it. UConn made the final 4 every year except last year. Who has done that?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Nobody wants to participate in a discussion of "the expert who got it right". "Did you see what that idiot wrote?" will generate more traffic every time.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I opened the piece and saw who he listed as #1, closed it and went on with my life there are more important things for me to waste my time on. That's all.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Outrage (also called outrage discourse,[1] outrage media and outrage journalism)[2] is any type of media or narrative that is designed to use outrage to provoke strong emotional reactions for the purpose of expanding audiences, whether traditional television, radio, or print media, or in social media with increased web traffic and online attention. The term outrage was coined in 2009 by political cartoonist and essayist Tim Kreider of The New York Times.[3][4][5][6]

Reaction Score
Internet writing and critical thinking has become so inane and stupid, I have stopped paying attention to any of it. Just watch the games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hey Milford, I was thinking the same thing. Best coach ever is Geno until someone breaks his 11 titles, 110+ wins in a row, 14 straight final fours, etc. etc.
Just looking at the last five years or the years since his last title---One has to lean toward Dawn and Kim with 2 titles each. That's it. UConn made the final 4 every year except last year. Who has done that?

We made 14 Final Fours in a row. The next best: 5 UConn, 5 Stanford, 5 LSU, 5 Notre Dame. Not even close.

Reaction Score
I laugh...Geno is the all time best WCBB hands down. He has a legacy beyond WCBB..coaches, former players in the WNBA etc etc!! He is the all time #1 !!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom