Disappointment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Disappointment

Reaction Score
That's what happens when you settle for outside shots.
I agree. Not only settle for them but they appeared to playing for them. Azzi is money on her pull up shot from the free throw line and that is where she should make her living. Her and Paige become more difficult to handle the closer they get to the rim and they need to work that advantage in the offense.

Reaction Score
You are wrong about Rivers and Brooks playing unconscious and about NC State playing above their heads. Rivers and Brooks are both great players. Give them credit. They and the whole team played up to their potential.
Give credit to Wes Moore, the NC State coach, as well as his staff. They were well prepared and reacted well to the changes as they took place in the game. No so much for UConn.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
You are right Tony! This was just like the Arkansas game you mention. Of course, that team recovered and went to the final four. So will this team. It is the advantage of playing a schedule great schedule like this. You learn who you are. Too many great things happened yesterday (the emergence of Qadence, an increase in minutes for Paige) in a game that has no impact on anything long term. You don't think the team will effectively rebound and guard the dribble by the end of the year? History says they will.

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as a good loss. But if you're going to up-chuck it's better if it's the second game of the season as opposed to the second to the last game of the season.

Congrats to the players, coaches and fans for NCS. Displayed energy and grit that UConn didn't have. Maybe being the first road game of the season helped throw UConn out of their rhythm? Traveling is a pain. Hurry up and wait makes you a little coo-coo.

Bright spots: Paige trying to perform the heroics, she's on her way back, playing more minutes. Q, I hope she continues and that the first 2 games were not flukes. I believe the kid has real talent. I will be watching those puffs (I wish I had puffs, or even tuffs).

Dark spot: didn't any of the coaches or players recognize that additional focus was needed on Rivers? It didn't appear that way, or it was totally ineffective. Too many times a kid has a career game against UConn. DO NOT let that happen again. Azzi, shake it off. Don't become your own worst enemy. You are too good for that.

Onward! I haven't given up on this team. Heck, I still root for the football team (and the Yankees and Giants, but why, I don't know).

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as a good loss. But if you're going to up-chuck it's better if it's the second game of the season as opposed to the second to the last game of the season.

Congrats to the players, coaches and fans for NCS. Displayed energy and grit that UConn didn't have. Maybe being the first road game of the season helped throw UConn out of their rhythm? Traveling is a pain. Hurry up and wait makes you a little coo-coo.

Bright spots: Paige trying to perform the heroics, she's on her way back, playing more minutes. Q, I hope she continues and that the first 2 games were not flukes. I believe the kid has real talent. I will be watching those puffs (I wish I had puffs, or even tuffs).

Dark spot: didn't any of the coaches or players recognize that additional focus was needed on Rivers? It didn't appear that way, or it was totally ineffective. Too many times a kid has a career game against UConn. DO NOT let that happen again. Azzi, shake it off. Don't become your own worst enemy. You are too good for that.

Onward! I haven't given up on this team. Heck, I still root for the football team (and the Yankees and Giants, but why, I don't know).
Thank you! I was harping on the need for a Box and 1 all alone there for a while. When a player is on fire like that you throw everything you can against them to just throw them off. A Box with Aubrey on her and then Nika, getting help from the Box when she gets near and has to get rid of the ball is what you wanted. Didn't see it.

Reaction Score
Geno is the one who annually states [paraphrasing] that UConn's goal is a national championship. Geno is the one who sets the expectations. Not the Boneyard members.
There is a difference between a goal and an expectation. I do not know if his expectations are that the team will be undefeated. Just because the coach sets a goal does not mean that anyone else should EXPECT that to happen. I saw the post last week asking which team people thought would go undefeated, and was amazed that so many BYers would think UConn would.
This is not to say that UConn is not talented. They are, and tremendously so. But they also have their weaknesses. It is a measure of how much we all knew, deep in our heart of hearts, that UConn is undersized that when Jana went down with her injury, folks were IMHO, unusually upset. It's not as if Jana is a know commodity. She is a freshman, who has played against who-knows-what level of competition, and has not done much more than practice with the team. But some folks were acting as if it was a foregone conclusion that she would be an integral part of the team, right from the get-go.

Reaction Score
My thought as I watched NCState dissect UConn was this: How is in that for every defensive scheme UConn put out there, NCState had an effective answer? Is the UConn defense that predictable? Is NCState that much more athletic. Maybe yes to both, methinks.

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Hence, this is a discussion forum.

I was extremely frustrated watching the game. Despite it being the second game of the season, you have to consider all the players who came back, the capability of each player and the coaching staff we have at UCONN. So, Im EXTREMELY disappointed.

On a positive note, this IS only the second game of the season.

Reaction Score

It seemed like Azzi was on Rivers a lot. Maybe due to screens but not a good match up. Maybe nobody was a good match up!

Reaction Score
I’m hoping the freshman will develop quickly or this will be a long season .. this team is very average right now ..

Reaction Score
My thought as I watched NCState dissect UConn was this: How is in that for every defensive scheme UConn put out there, NCState had an effective answer? Is the UConn defense that predictable? Is NCState that much more athletic. Maybe yes to both, methinks.
It’s not that the defense is predictable, it’s that the execution of it was flawed. It’s basically the same defense played for the entire reign of Geno and CD. They’ve played more zone in the last 2-3 years than ever. Poor matchups, not enough players, and an effort to be less predictable.

Reaction Score
Don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve waited in eager anticipation for this season to start.
Since last April, I’ve been counting the days.
I’m not ready to throw in the towel because of one lousy game.
And it WAS a dumpster fire

Reaction Score
On the subject of Ice getting more minutes. What Geno has seen from her in her 17 minutes of game time is 1 for 9 shooting, over two games, and 4 rebounds. And this may be important, at the beginning of the 4th quarter in the Dayton game she missed two lay-ups in a row and, after the 2nd, laughed to herself before running back on defense. I don't know whether Geno caught that but the announcers did and commented on the laughing. What Ice is going to have to do in practice is convince Geno he has to play her. What I've seen is the same thing I see from Amari, not charging the basket for rebounds, not positioning herself for rebounds. Although Geno wants big things from her, clearly he does not trust her to deliver, yet. I am hoping both players can change his mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom